Terror strikes Pune: 9 killed in blast at popular bakery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror strikes Pune: 9 killed in blast at popular bakery

Terror struck Pune on Saturday night as a powerful bomb ripped apart a popular bakery near a Jewish prayer house, killing nine people, including five women and a foreigner, and injuring 32 others, in the first major attack since the 26/11 carnage.

The improvised explosive device, kept in an unattended packet outside the kitchen of the German bakery, exploded at approximately 7.30 pm, when a waiter attempted to open it.

The German bakery is a favourite food joint for foreigners, located close to the Osho Ashram, which had been surveyed by Pakistani-origin American David Coleman Headley, a Lashkar-e Tayiba operative. Pune's Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh said nine people had been killed in the blast and of them five are women.

Quoting information from the state government, Home Secretary G K Pillai told mediapersons in New Delhi [ Images ] that one each of the killed and the injured are foreigners, but could not give their nationalities. The rest, he said, were believed to be Indians but the situation could change.

The chief minister announced an ex-gratia of Rs one lakh for the kin of those killed and Rs 50,000 for those injured.

"We are sending a forensic team of the Central Bureau of Investigation and personnel of the National Investigative Agency," Pillai said.

said that it would take time to identify the victims as the bodies had been charred beyond recognition.

While some foreigners were believed to be among the dead, a senior police official said it was difficult to confirm their identity and nationality, as their faces were charred beyond recognition.

Maharashtra [ Images ] Minister of State for Home Ramesh Bagve, who is a Member of Legislative Assembly from the constituency, said as many as 40 people were injured, three of them seriously. He said five to six foreigners were among the injured.

Teams from the Anti-Terrorism Squad and bomb disposal squad visited the spot to ascertain the nature of the blast.

The scene of the blast, that destroyed the bakery, was littered with thick patches of blood and severed limbs.

"I was traveling by an auto-rickshaw. I heard a loud explosion and then the ground shook", said Santosh, one of the injured in the blast. An eyewitness said there was a loud bang which shook the entire area, and then "I saw a fire".

Rohan Jagan adds from Pune: Police sources said five out of the nine deceased victims are foreign nationals, but their nationalities have not been confirmed yet.

Preliminary reports indicate that another bag of explosives has been found at the site

According to sources, on October 12, 2009, the Centre had issued an advisory to the Pune police and district administration, citing a terror threat to the city.

Terror strikes Pune: 9 killed in bakery blast: Rediff.com India News

this blast is significant because the indian government had just offered to resume peace talks with pakistan after the 26/11 mumbai terror strikes,the GOI had also told its citizens that another terrorist incident involving pakistan will be dire for that country.
    I would like to see what would be the reaction of GOI if pakistani involvement is prooved.

Comment

Pune blast 1st significant terror act in 14 months: Chidambaram

Comment

Obvious what is going on...some people don't want Pakistan to concentrate on her western boundaries so every time a peace initiative is started some attack happens in India.

Comment

I dont know whether this is related or not but thought i'd post-
          An IED was defused on Calcutta's main and one of India's largest railway stations 'Howrah'..the police sources said the IED consisted of 5 litres of petrol..capable of forming a large enough fireball to kill many civilians...the incident was avoided thanks to a sharp eyed hawker who saw the bag lying unattended and brought it to the notice of the railway police.

Now this happened just the day before the Pune blasts..maybe there was a connection..but as i say i am just speculating

Comment

Bomb found at Howrah station, defused: Rediff.com News

Text: Press Trust of India

A powerful bomb contained in a can was found at the Howrah railway station in Kolkata on Thursday, but it was defused before it could cause any damage.

"It was an IED having potential to cause major damage. The bomb contained chemical compounds immersed in kerosene oil
            and sharp metal shrapnels," ADG (Railways) Dilip Mitra said.

According to Eastern Railway officials, a vendor noticed the jerry can lying abandoned on platform number two at around
            1:30 pm and informed the railway police, which immediately cordoned off the area. A wire hanging out from the jerry can aroused suspicion that it was a bomb, a railway spokesman said.

A bomb disposal squad was called immediately, which removed the bomb from the platform and defused it, he said.

Sniffer dogs were also taken to the station after the discovery of the bomb, which did not have any remote control device, he said.The movement of trains from the platform was suspended and it was cordoned off, the spokesman said.

Comment

Working...
            X