Firefox/IE connection problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox/IE connection problems

It's time once again to lean on the membership's technical knowledge.

For some reason I'm having trouble getting to various websites, intermittently.

Firefox will give me various excuses such as

Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www. google. com
    Server not found
    Firefox can't find the server at www. imdb. com

After hitting the Try Again button half a dozen times, I'll generally get through...albeit sometimes to an incompletely loaded website.

I'd been running the older v3.5 Firefox when this started happening so I stupidly upgrade to v3.6 (which had cause this exact same problem several months ago...which is why I reverted back to v3.5 in the first place!) but I've since reverted back (again!)

I have also tried using IE v8, but get the same problem, except that IE -unlike Firefox- has actual diagnostic tool. It's telling me that it couldn't connect via FTP, probably due to firewall issues...except I don't have one!

The Firefox help forums are loaded with people having this problem and the solutions are all over the place. I've tried a few, no luck.

I haven't made any changes to my computer or Internet settings....so, any ideas?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

I had that exact same problem about a month ago, after endless fiddling around with settings what finally worked for me was doing a "system recovery" to about two months ago. I could tell you how to do this if your running XP but I just upgraded to windows 7 and I have yet to learn how, or even if you can.

I'm assuming you've checked your anti-virus software is up to date?

Comment

maybe some malware on your machine blocking traffic?
      scan with malware bytes anti malware and look at your hijack this log.
      By the way are other browsers like chrome or opera working?
      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by US_MiltCom View Post
        I had that exact same problem about a month ago, after endless fiddling around with settings what finally worked for me was doing a "system recovery" to about two months ago. I could tell you how to do this if your running XP but I just upgraded to windows 7 and I have yet to learn how, or even if you can.

I'm assuming you've checked your anti-virus software is up to date?
        Anti-virus is up to date, yep.

And I'm running XP still, which is probably gonna stay with me until I get a new comp in the distant future

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
        maybe some malware on your machine blocking traffic?
        scan with malware bytes anti malware and look at your hijack this log.
        By the way are other browsers like chrome or opera working?
        That's a good question, malware, I'll run a few scans.

I haven't used Chrome or Opera but I'm serious considering it.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'd highly recommend chrome, though for me switching browsers didn't help.

Comment

How old is your computer? I finally broke down and bought a new one because I was having the same problem with firefox/IE. I even downloaded a program to speed up my pc.
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

I'd highly recommend chrome, though for me switching browsers didn't help.
              I think I tried Chrome for a few minutes, didn't like it very much :(

Originally posted by Southie View Post
              How old is your computer? I finally broke down and bought a new one because I was having the same problem with firefox/IE. I even downloaded a program to speed up my pc.
              It's somewhat "old" though I've upgrade the RAM and also had the HD wiped and Windows XP reinstalled, which kinda "zero-timed" it, not to mention removed all the software bloat. I think the next computer I buy, I'll do the same thing if it comes packed with a bunch of crap I don't want or need (FREE TRIAL!)

Anyway, just ran MalwareBytes and yep, I've got a couple of hitchhikers, Trojan.WinCoDecPRO and Malware.Trace, so let's see what happens after they're removed.

Comment

Don't think it's firefox or IE, open a command prompt and try to ping a site,

ie, ping www.google.com

or ping www.worldaffairsboard.com

or any sight you try to get to.

If it comes back with anything other than a response time, it's router/modem/ISP problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  Anyway, just ran MalwareBytes and yep, I've got a couple of hitchhikers, Trojan.WinCoDecPRO and Malware.Trace, so let's see what happens after they're removed.
                  That had to be it...stuff that wasn't working earlier is doing just fine now. Never had malware be so stealthy before. Usually it's right up in my face with "Buy Our Fake-Ass Virus Product That Is Actually A Lot More Poison For Your Computer!"

Thanks everybody! :)

Comment

sigh. Spoke too soon, things have gotten much better but still occasionally getting that crap. I'll try a few more things and system restore if I have to

Comment

I'm using Firefox 3.6 and just tried imdb.com, no problem loading it. Also tried IE 8 and Chrome with the site, same. I don't usually meet such problems unless there's something wrong with the router.
                      夫唯不爭,故天下莫能與之爭。

Comment

Ran the in-depth MalwareBytes and ferreted out a few more odds and ends, but no luck. Tried System Restore, but it called no joy and so I'm right back where I started. Sucks IE 8 is giving me the same problems as before and blaming it on FTP.

Comment

Are you using a wireless network? And if so have you tried plugging into a hardline?

Comment

Are you using a wireless network? And if so have you tried plugging into a hardline?
                            I'm plugged directly into the wireless router (the modem is in my bedroom)

What sucks is that I was humming along doing just fine until "poof".

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                              Ran the in-depth MalwareBytes and ferreted out a few more odds and ends, but no luck. Tried System Restore, but it called no joy and so I'm right back where I started. Sucks IE 8 is giving me the same problems as before and blaming it on FTP.
                              Go Restore to when the computer was working correctly. (All programs..System tools..System restore) do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)

Comment

Working...
                              X