Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TopHatter problem

Hi,

Problems that involve server connectivity could also involve screwed up DNS servers.

Google has a new DNS service. Why not give it a try to see if solves the problem. Will just take a couple of minutes. Instructions below.

Example: Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows Vista

1. Go the Control Panel.
    2. Click Network and Internet, then Network and Sharing Center, then Manage network connections.
    3. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:
    * To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click Local Area Connection, and click Properties.
    * To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click Wireless Network Connection, and click Properties.
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    4. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.
    5. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab. If there are any DNS server IP addresses listed there, write them down for future reference, and remove them from this window.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Select Use the following DNS server addresses. If there are any IP addresses listed in the Preferred DNS server or Alternate DNS server, write them down for future reference.
    8. Replace those addresses with the IP addresses of the Google DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
    9. Restart the connection you selected in step 3.
    10. Test that your setup is working correctly; see Testing your new settings below.
    11. Repeat the procedure for additional network connections you want to change.
    Source : Google DNS instructions

Also check this page to know more about the service.

Again write down your dns addresses for future references as per the instructions (they can also be found in the router). You don't want to lose 'em. Also clear all your local caches when trying this method. Hope your problem gets solved.

Comment

Thanks for the all the suggestions guys.

As mentioned, my computer is now being wiped and reinstalled to correct a small laundry list of bugs and hopefully boot-strap me into another year of service until I can get a new one.

Once I get it back and up and running, we'll see what happens when I plug the computer directly into the modem and bypass the router. After that it's either the modem or the ISP.
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Well here I am on a borrowed laptop connected directly to the modem.

Judging by how things are going so far, I have a feeling that OoE and whoever else said "bad router" are probably going to win First Prize in the "Tophatter can't troubleshoot worth a damn" contest

We'll have more details at 11.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Well here I am on a borrowed laptop connected directly to the modem.

Judging by how things are going so far, I have a feeling that OoE and whoever else said "bad router" are probably going to win First Prize in the "Tophatter can't troubleshoot worth a damn" contest

We'll have more details at 11.
          I've had a router go down twice on me, and each time, I couldn't connect to the internet at all, so that's why I didn't think it was your router.

Comment

the same problems have been in my household for the past half-month. And my company. And with friends all over the Europe.
            Is it really virus/connection problem?

Has the econ. recession somehow changed the situation (dunno, like some providers going out of business and other picking up their load) or is some new technology being installed on big providers ? I imagine if Google or Yahoo are changing something that could affect world so much.
            Somebody going over to Web2.0 ?
            If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Just wondering, did TH find a solution to this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by observer7 View Post
                Just wondering, did TH find a solution to this problem?
                Likely as not, it's the router.

On the plus side, I've just bought a real cruise missile of a desktop...I just wish that Windows 7 wasn't so temperamental with legacy programs

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                  Likely as not, it's the router.

On the plus side, I've just bought a real cruise missile of a desktop...I just wish that Windows 7 wasn't so temperamental with legacy programs
                  Are you using Netgear router? I had a similar problem with netgear router, in fact there is a known dns problem with netgear routers. Changing the OS or Firefox version seems to do the trick for some. But I heard that changing the router (a non-netgear one) is probably the best way to avoid the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X