Firefox/IE connection problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Go Restore to when the computer was working correctly. (All programs..System tools..System restore) do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)
    Tried that already...there are 2 restore points I can choose and neither one will finish restoring, I get an error message to that effect.

I've tried to flip the calender back past February but it's non-functional.

I'm thinking about having it wiped again and calling it even.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      do a bit of defraging whilst you are at it;)
      This, I do mine once a week, though that's probably excessive.

I wouldn't go this far yet but, last year when my moms computer was having trouble with the internet I fiddled with settings, system restores, our router, our provider, and her antivirus for what seemed like an eternity until FINALLY I just took the damn thing apart and replaced the network card. Worked like magic.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Tried that already...there are 2 restore points I can choose and neither one will finish restoring, I get an error message to that effect.

I've tried to flip the calender back past February but it's non-functional.

I'm thinking about having it wiped again and calling it even.
        Install chrome temporarily and run it for a couple of days. If it runs fine then it's specifically a browser problem. If it has the same problems and your signal strength to your router and bandwidth from your ISP is fine then you got nasty little bugs.
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          Install chrome temporarily and run it for a couple of days. If it runs fine then it's specifically a browser problem. If it has the same problems and your signal strength to your router and bandwidth from your ISP is fine then you got nasty little bugs.
          I have a feeling that, with my IE not behaving properly either, that it's something in my comp...which really sucks.

I'll try Chrome regardless though, never hurts to be certain.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Update: I'm on Chrome and the same thing is happening. The irritating part is how intermittent it is. I can open 4 threads just fine and then 2 more won't open...then 3 more will open just fine...and on and on

Comment

If I could take a look I could almost promise it would be fixed in a day or less. But without your computer in front of me there's not much more I can say. It could be the wireless card, a virus, a corrupted drive or driver, or any combination of those plus a dozen other things I can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by US_MiltCom View Post
                If I could take a look I could almost promise it would be fixed in a day or less. But without your computer in front of me there's not much more I can say. It could be the wireless card, a virus, a corrupted drive or driver, or any combination of those plus a dozen other things I can think of.
                I'm sure you could, and I'd gladly pay for your services. :)

I'm normally pretty good at this stuff, which means I can Google a specific problem and follow the directions

But in this case, as you said, there's about a million different things that this could be. :(

Comment

Haha! sorry, not trying to brag, but I DO seem to have a way with these things, despite the fact that I only have a fairly basic understanding of how they work. Good luck sir, and if you end up upgrading your computer, NEVER buy an Inspiron or a Gateway.

Comment

Haha! sorry, not trying to brag, but I DO seem to have a way with these things, despite the fact that I only have a fairly basic understanding of how they work. Good luck sir, and if you end up upgrading your computer, NEVER buy an Inspiron or a Gateway.
                    In my book, it's not bragging or arrogance if you can back it up.

And thanks for the buying advice, I'm far from getting a new comp due to a raging desire to get my debt paid off, but I'm always looking for tidbits to file away from future use.

A question for you and anybody unfortunate enough to have read this entire thread: What do you recommend when it comes to desktop computers running Windows? (sorry non-MS fans, I'm on those downtrodden masses in the "1984" commercial)

Comment

I'm not sure I fully understand the question....

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        In my book, it's not bragging or arrogance if you can back it up.

And thanks for the buying advice, I'm far from getting a new comp due to a raging desire to get my debt paid off, but I'm always looking for tidbits to file away from future use.

A question for you and anybody unfortunate enough to have read this entire thread: What do you recommend when it comes to desktop computers running Windows? (sorry non-MS fans, I'm on those downtrodden masses in the "1984" commercial)
                        Vaio.

Leibniz

Comment

Vaio.
                          Very nice machines, but I find them to be VERY overpriced.

Comment

I'm not sure I fully understand the question....
                            A little more clarity probably would've helped :)

If you were going to go out today and buy a solidly reliable, nicely appointed machine (with a decent emphasis on using it for gaming, music and movies) yet reasonably affordable machine, what would it be?

Comment

Very nice machines, but I find them to be VERY overpriced.
                              True, I'm just one of those guys who doesn't care what's under the bonnet, I just ask what's the most reliable one around.
                              Usually I run Macs but I've got one Vaio that I was given by a supplier when I bought a rather expensive camera and it's gone gangbusters. It was the cheapest of the available ones and I had to add ram (my one venture ever into the bowels of a pc) but it's been solid for 5 years now despite being tossed across the room twice, taken on beach holidays, and generally had the crap pounded out of it by my wee ones.

Leibniz

Comment

I've always been a huge Dell fan, with the exception of a few product lines (Inspiron). I've had a lot of luck with their Precision series for gaming, they are a fairly expensive and built for heavy duty CAD work, but the beefy video cards that those programs need translate into good gaming horsepower. Music and movies? well, that's mostly dependent on two things, your monitor, high def being the key, and your harddrive for storing all that media. 500 gig hard drives are fairly standard these days and for a bit more you can bump it up to a terrabite. Unless you're doing a lot of illegal downloading it's unlikely you'll ever max it out. The great thing about desktops is it's obscenely easy to upgrade components later, so unless you're trying to put a new processor in you can just keep on adding components.

True, I'm just one of those guys who doesn't care what's under the bonnet, I just ask what's the most reliable one around.
                                Usually I run Macs but I've got one Vaio that I was given by a supplier when I bought a rather expensive camera and it's gone gangbusters. It was the cheapest of the available ones and I had to add ram (my one venture ever into the bowels of a pc) but it's been solid for 5 years now despite being tossed across the room twice, taken on beach holidays, and generally had the crap pounded out of it by my wee ones.
                                I have been very impressed with the build quality, I think the only thing that can rival them is the Dell precision of laptops, I owned one a little while ago and it felt like I could have beaten someone to death with it and it would still work flawlessly.

Comment

Working...
                                X