What was your book of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was your book of the year?

Now that we are already into february 2010 I was thinking what was the best book you read during the past year?

For me it was Empires of the sea although it was january 2010 by the time i finished.
    For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

It's not quite from 2009 (late 2008) but I really, really enjoyed The Ascent of Money, by Niall Ferguson.

He's too right wing, and too imperialist for my tastes in anything else, but it's a very compelling economic yarn, as well as a bit of historical analysis to some of the most interesting times in history (Renaissance Banking, Dutch Stock Market etc).
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Does it have to be a non-fiction book? The best book I read last year (and finished!) was "The Kindly Ones", by Jonathan Littell. Very interesting. It is a fictional novel, with a lot of detail (992 pages worth!), but it provides something of a view into the mind of a Nazi bureuacrat during WWII. Fascinating.
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Hmmm... for pure fun I probably have to go with Correia's Monster Hunter International.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
          Hmmm... for pure fun I probably have to go with Correia's Monster Hunter International.

-dale
          Really? I read it a while back and found it pretty tedious.
          I guess you have to be a gun fan to really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
            Does it have to be a non-fiction book? The best book I read last year (and finished!) was "The Kindly Ones", by Jonathan Littell. Very interesting. It is a fictional novel, with a lot of detail (992 pages worth!), but it provides something of a view into the mind of a Nazi bureuacrat during WWII. Fascinating.
            Nope can be any sort of book, just the one that you found to be the best read .

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post

-dale
              Synopsis sounds interesting. Think I'll give it a read! :))

Comment

City of Thieves: A Novel, written by David Benioff It's set during the siege of Leningrad, GREAT read.

Comment

I read the three books on Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden. It is historical fiction like his empire series.

Damn good read and tells the amazing tale of the rise of a fascinating people.
                  There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by Vinod2070 View Post
                    I read the three books on Genghis Khan by Conn Iggulden. It is historical fiction like his empire series.

Damn good read and tells the amazing tale of the rise of a fascinating people.
                    I think he might be due for a new novel...
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I am waiting. If only the school history books were as interesting. ;)
                      There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        Really? I read it a while back and found it pretty tedious.
                        I guess you have to be a gun fan to really like it.
                        That definitely helps, yep.

-dale

Comment

Chickenhawk - Robert Mason

I think I got the recommendation here. Why the hell did it taker me so long to learn this book even existed? It was in a word "AWESOME!!!!!"

I read it way to fast though. :(

Chickenhawk (book) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For those that do not know it's about a pilot of Huey's during the Viet Nam War. It was so exciting and the Huey is my favorite of all helicopters. No idea why but I just think it looks and sounds cool.
                          Originally posted by GVChamp
                          College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Comment

It's a children's book but I loved it nonetheless. It's the Alchemyst series by Michael Scott.

Comment

Working...
                            X