No announcement yet.

Commander of Canada's largest air base charged with first degree murder, rape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commander of Canada's largest air base charged with first degree murder, rape

Unbelievable. He's suspected of killing two women and sexually assaulting two others after breaking into their homes.

Top Canadian military official charged with murder - Yahoo! News

Top Canadian military official charged with murder
    AP

By ROB GILLIES, Associated Press Writer Rob Gillies, Associated Press Writer – 32 mins ago

TORONTO – The commander of Canada's largest Air Force base, who once flew dignitaries around the country, has been charged with first-degree murder in the deaths of two women.

Ontario Provincial Police Det. Insp. Chris Nicholas said Monday that Col. Russell Williams, 46, was arrested Sunday in Ottawa. He was also charged in the sexual assaults of two other women.

The charges left Canada's military in a state of shock.

Williams, a 23-year military veteran, was appointed as the base commander of Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Trenton, Ontario last July. Trenton is Canada's busiest Air Force base and is providing logistical support for Canada's missions in Haiti and Afghanistan.

Williams is charged with the first-degree murder of Jessica Lloyd, 27, of a Belleville, Ontario, resident whose body was found earlier Monday, and Marie Comeau, a 38-year-old corporal found dead in her Brighton, Ontario, home in November.

Authorities said Williams came to the attention of police during a roadside canvas on Feb. 4, six days after Lloyd was deemed missing.

Williams, 46, is also charged with forcible confinement, breaking and entering and sexual assault after two women were sexually assaulted during two separate home invasions in the Tweed, Ontario area in September of 2009.

"We're shocked by the connection that has been made with a leader in our Air Force," Maj. Gen. Yvan Blondin, the direct commander of Williams, said in Trenton.

"It obviously is no longer possible for the commander to remain in his position."

Lieutenant-General Andre Deschamps, Canada's Air Force chief, said the Air Force is fully supporting civilian police. He called it a difficult period but said the Air Force would provide support for personnel at Trenton.

Dan Dugas, a spokesman for Defense Minister Peter MacKay, called the charges serious but said MacKay will not comment.

Police descended on Williams' Ottawa home on Sunday and police cars remained posted there Monday evening. Williams' Defense Department biography said he is married.

Williams once served as a Challenger aircraft pilot who transported VIPs. The Air Force declined to say who he flew but the Challenger regularly flies cabinet ministers and the governor general, Canada's ceremonial head of sate. A spokesman for Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he didn't believe Williams flew Harper.

Between December 2005 and June 2006, Williams was the commanding officer for Camp Mirage, the secretive Canadian Forces forward logistics base that is not officially acknowledged by the government or military but has been widely reported to be near Dubai.

"We are certainly tracking the movements of where this man has been over the past several years and we're continuing with our investigation," Nicholas said.

Williams walked into a courthouse in Belleville, Ontario on Monday in hand and leg shackles, wearing a blue prison-issue jumpsuit. The judge imposed a publication ban on other details.

He was held in custody and will appear in court by video on Feb. 18.

*** shocked beyond my words ***

Comment

I want to be in on his firing squad!

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
        I want to be in on his firing squad!
        Does Canadian Forces still have the death penalty?

Comment

*** shocked beyond my words ***
          Sorry to hear it, Colonel. I know this is hard for you to take, as it is for all members of Canada's fine military forces.
          To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Wow

Comment

Shocking indeed.
              Colonel, Sir, did you know him?
              sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Wow....unreal.
                You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  Does Canadian Forces still have the death penalty?
                  No but that won't matter as the freak is now under civilian justice.

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                  Sorry to hear it, Colonel. I know this is hard for you to take, as it is for all members of Canada's fine military forces.
                  I've read one of the living victim's recollection of her rape. I wanted to tear the freak from limb to limb. Police from all over Canada are calling just to verify time and place the freak was stationed since they too have cold cases that fit his Michael Oscar.

He was also overseas and that possibilities on that one is extremely disturbing.

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                  Shocking indeed.
                  Colonel, Sir, did you know him?
                  Cannot recall. Our paths must have crossed at some point as there are very few transport pilots like him.

Comment

No but that won't matter as the freak is now under civilian justice.
                    Could he be prosecuted under military discipline? If so, would that be instead of or in addition to?
                    Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                    (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                      Could he be prosecuted under military discipline?
                      Several charges under the Queen's Rules are pending but they may be dropped for expediency by the Crown.

Originally posted by sappersgt View Post
                      If so, would that be instead of or in addition to?
                      The murder and rape charges will be under civilian jurisdiction. Within Canada, civilian jusrisdiction comes before military.

Comment

I was shocked also OOE.

I was reading the paper yesterday, and what I read made me sick. He was good buddies with Paul Bernardo in University, they partied together and "competed" against each other, the paper did not go further on that. However, there are links between this freak, and Bernardo!

Apparantly, he lead police to the body of the missing woman from Bellville, this is just so..****ed, up!!

This freak was welcoming our fallen soldiers home, all the while planning his next murder!!

sick

Comment

Working...
                        X