X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FIRES Bulletin Website

2007 FIRES RED Book

Happy to see my ol' battalions have survived the rigors of reorganization. Exactly the same as I left them. Same weapons, same home stations. Cool.

Cannons are cool.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by S2; 11 Jan 08,, 23:50.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

"Smokin'":)

Comment

Excalibur In Iraq

High angle excalibur-precision fires. Just what the doctor ordered for 24/7, all-weather fires on urban/defilade targets. The above photo was a Marine M777A2 firing excalibur from Camp Fallujah.

I'm so happy. We've got some verrrry nice toys playing soon at theatres of war near you.
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Sticky?

Mods,

Can we sticky this thread near the top of "Land Forces" as reference? Thanks.

Comment

Excalibur, isnt that Shell with GPS mounted on it, the first cannon fired projectile which can change course mid-flight

Reference:

Cheezy Guy who repeats"when i was a navy seal" FUTURE WEAPONS

Comment

that guy! hosts these days fail to grab and hold my attention

Comment

That thing is awsome O_O How much can that thing destroy in how much time?

Comment

Originally posted by Adux View Post
                Excalibur, isnt that Shell with GPS mounted on it, the first cannon fired projectile which can change course mid-flight

Reference:

Cheezy Guy who repeats"when i was a navy seal" FUTURE WEAPONS
                Wouldn't the Copperhead be the first? It rides a laser into the target.

Comment

FIRES Bulletin Website

To the Powers that be (AKA the Moderators),

Any chance we could sticky this thread? The fires Bulletin is a must read for anyone involved in or interested in the Indirect Fires world.

Fires Bulletin Homepage:

http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbullet..._2010/main.asp

The magazine is available online in PDF format and there are some great article worthy of discussion. Here is link to Jan-Feb edition. Its a 11Mb pdf however so takes a while to load depending on your conection.

http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbullet...N_FEB_2010.pdf

Regards

Arty
                  "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

A.E. Reply

I'd be happy if the mods would take my 2007 Red Book thread and merge it into your FIRES thread so that Arty doesn't dominate the board as it does the battlefield.;)

Comment

2010 Red Book- Fires Bulletin

The document, btw, took some practice for me to navigate. For the longest time I couldn't access these magazines at all as I needed a military subscriber account. No longer seems to be the case although I haven't yet tried to read any back issues.

The landscape has changed. My old battalion, 1-17FA remains a 155SP battalion at Ft. Sill. Literally everything has changed (2-18FA has given away their 8" and gone MLRS) and the rest of the old battalions are GONE. 2-34FA, 4-4FA, 3-18FA, 2-12FA, 2-37FA, 2-36FA have all bitten the dust as has 212 FA Brigade. My guard battalion also remains (2-218FA) although with no specified weapon. Odd as they're DS to 41IBCT. One hell of a lot more 105 and towed 155 battalions in the active and guard than I once remember. Still some tubes out there but the ol' DIVARTYs and CORPS ARTYs of the past are, well...of the past now.

Probably some old Russian gunner somewhere reading this and nodding his head.

Comment

Great read on pg. 66 involving an insurgent attack on COP/FOB where gunners employ two systems (M777 & M119) alternately while also engaging enemy targets with killer junior direct fire while taking small arms fire and explosives attacks on their positions.

These actions reflected great credit and noteworthy skill to yet more gunners of the U.S. Army and Marine Corps Field Artillery.

Comment

Going to stick this here. Once upon a time known as FM 6-40, it's called something else now but Buck and I are having a bit of a chat about "cold stick" and I came across this from 2016-

TC 3-09.81

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                            Going to stick this here. Once upon a time known as FM 6-40, it's called something else now but Buck and I are having a bit of a chat about "cold stick" and I came across this from 2016-

TC 3-09.81
                            Hell...that was published 30 years after I retired!!!!

Thanks for setting me straight.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Perun's latest release is a truly fires-related discussion and not necessarily, IMV, Ukraine specific. As such, I've posted here. Bluntly, we're outranged. Gunny, AR and I lived under that tacit assumption for years, primarily in a tube-dominant artillery environment. We, consequently, had to be very good at the compensatory elements that might off-set the OPFOR range advantage. The range differential thingy, however, continues with precision long range tube AND ROCKET/MISSILE munitions and weapon systems.

Comment

Working...
                              X