Knowledge of Teak Decks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowledge of Teak Decks

Hope this wasn't already covered, but I figured with the knowledge on this board, it was worth publicizing:

That’s right – The Navy is looking for people with working knowledge of all eras of teak decking application processes and procedures on battleships. Inquiring minds want to know the board widths, joints, spacing and materials used in teak deck applications for each era of deck treatment on battleships. Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) believes these items should be applicable to all battleships, but are ready to be proven wrong on that assumption. If anyone has knowledge, history or expertise to share, contact Beth Freese at NAVSEA in Washington, DC at 202-781-4423 or [email protected].
    The rest of the article is here.

Edited for grammer.
    Last edited by JCT; 01 Feb 10,, 15:14.

If not mistaken, there is a manual for replacing the decks, length, cuts (as far as round shapes and corners) are concerned and even the filler material (caulking) between the decks. They are also red lead joints underneath as well. Maybe she is not looking in the correct places for the manual.;)

Im also quite sure that Rusty, DNHelper, myself and a few others have experience with it. I'm also fairly certain that if someone from NAVSEA were to visit one of the ships, they could also speak to the ships carpenters that do the actual replacement work and blending..
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 01 Feb 10,, 15:16.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

1). Sand
      2). Sand
      3). Sand
      4). Put in place
      5). Realize you sanded too much off
      6). Start anew.
      You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

Im also quite sure that Rusty, DNHelper, myself and a few others have experience with it.
        cRusty posted an opinion on the subject on the LBNSY board a few days ago.

LBNSY Employees Forum: teak decks

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
          cRusty posted an opinion on the subject on the LBNSY board a few days ago.

LBNSY Employees Forum: teak decks
          Hmm, wandering exactly what NAVSEA has to do with this. There are no teak decks in the USN anymore, the closest you will get are the museum ships. The CV's,BB's and CA's.;)

Comment

Hmm, wandering exactly what NAVSEA has to do with this. There are no teak decks in the USN anymore, the closest you will get are the museum ships. The CV's,BB's and CA's.;)
            Maybe try to pick cRusty's brain when he logs in?

Comment

Hmm, wandering exactly what NAVSEA has to do with this. There are no teak decks in the USN anymore
              I'm wondering that myself. Why do they care?
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Don't you mean

I'M WONDERING THAT MYSELF, WHY DO THEY @#$$^$#@ CARE?????

Comment

From the link:
                  In trying to establish best practices for the maintenance and repair of the teak decks found on battleships, NAVSEA is eager to collect any “corporate knowledge” that might exist in the memories and experience of battleship shipmates.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
                    Don't you mean

I'M WONDERING THAT MYSELF, WHY DO THEY @#$$^$#@ CARE?????

Sure :)

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                    From the link:
                    Well yeah I saw that, but what battleships are they going to use that knowledge on? What battleships does NAVSEA still have custodianship of or even just interest in, with the possible exception of USS Iowa?

The remaining teak wood deck ships are all in the care of their respective museum organizations.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

If any OFFICIAL organization needs to know how to install teak decking on Battleships and Cruisers or Douglas Fir decking on old Aircraft Carriers, I have the plans.

But just to be passing out free info to an "historian" is a waste of the time I used to develop those plans from official Navy drawings that had become too worn out, faded and torn to be of any practical use (if they even exist anymore even on microfilm).
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Sure :)

Well yeah I saw that, but what battleships are they going to use that knowledge on? What battleships does NAVSEA still have custodianship of or even just interest in, with the possible exception of USS Iowa?

The remaining teak wood deck ships are all in the care of their respective museum organizations.
                        Good point.

Comment

Perhaps another secret mission?

I don't understand the need to know about teak wood decks on modern Navy ships, but maybe there is a secret mission brewing deep in some Washington office?

Perhaps Dread and cRusty are at risk for being taken to an underground bunker and made to sit under bright lights while made to recite lumber dimensions ?
                          " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                            I don't understand the need to know about teak wood decks on modern Navy ships, but maybe there is a secret mission brewing deep in some Washington office?

Perhaps Dread and cRusty are at risk for being taken to an underground bunker and made to sit under bright lights while made to recite lumber dimensions ?
                            Hey, the current administration needs to create some jobs....and not getting political here, but reactivating a BB would put how many people to work...2-3k?

You'd need a crew, and all sorts of shipyard worker types, industry, etc.

You never know.....

Comment

What do you think Mr.L. do we put a bunch together and charge by the board feet instead of by the hour?:))

Comment

Working...
                              X