Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Catapult positions in Eagle Class compared to Essex Class

Hello to everyone on my first post.

I have been a fan of the Eagle and Ark Royal aircraft carriers and Essex Class including the 27C conversions for many years and I have the following question.

On the Eagle and Ark Royal, after their conversions, both have their forward catapults on the port side and one on the angled deck whereas the Essex Class Carrier has both catapults away from the Angled Deck.

I know one of the reasons for the angled deck was for aircraft that did not catch the arrestor wires, it could most times safely take off again. I thought the other reason was that the could do simulatenous take offs and landings.

The Essex Carrier, I believe could do this whereas the Eagle or Ark Royal could not.

Is this correct and what would be the reason?

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by aschachter View Post
    Hello to everyone on my first post.

I have been a fan of the Eagle and Ark Royal aircraft carriers and Essex Class including the 27C conversions for many years and I have the following question.

On the Eagle and Ark Royal, after their conversions, both have their forward catapults on the port side and one on the angled deck whereas the Essex Class Carrier has both catapults away from the Angled Deck.

I know one of the reasons for the angled deck was for aircraft that did not catch the arrestor wires, it could most times safely take off again. I thought the other reason was that the could do simulatenous take offs and landings.

The Essex Carrier, I believe could do this whereas the Eagle or Ark Royal could not.

Is this correct and what would be the reason?

Thanks in advance
    Ashachter:

Good question. Probably has an answer, & I can't think of a better set of fora where you might find it. First things first, though. You oughta go upstairs & introduce yourself.

Prof

Comment

Further to my post.

I have noticed that the French Carriers, both the Clemenceau Class and the CDG Class also have the same arrangements.

Maybe only the American Carriers could launch and recover aircraft at the same time and the British and French could either launch or recover and not both at the same time.

It may be to do with the steam being required by the 2 catapults.... Not Sure....

Comment

Working...
      X