USN Cruiser to be scrapped - ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USN Cruiser to be scrapped - ID?

I was surfing around Google Earth when I found this ship at a scrapper in Brownsville, Texas. Looks like a WWII era cruiser but what really got my attention was that she seems to still be in near original configuration. AA-tubs in place, no heli-pad, smallish mast, etc.

Does anybody know what ship this might have been? If I'm right about her still being in her original form then it's a shame she's not a museum somewhere.

The image is dated Oct. 31, 2006 so I'm sure she's cat food cans by now.

25°57'49.29" N 97°22'09.80" W

Answered my own question. U.S.S. Des Moines CA-134. Her scrapping was a pretty high profile affair with several attempts to save her. Old news to this forum I'm sure.

You know, the Air Force runs a very extensive museum system with examples of almost every aircraft they've used. Too bad the Navy doesn't try to save ANY of their history.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post
      You know, the Air Force runs a very extensive museum system with examples of almost every aircraft they've used. Too bad the Navy doesn't try to save ANY of their history.
      You're kidding right? First of all you're comparing the storage and preservation of aircraft to warships?

Second, why would you make such an ignorant claim? "The Navy doesn't try to save ANY of their history"

Are you trolling or just an idiot?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        You're kidding right? First of all you're comparing the storage and preservation of aircraft to warships?

Second, why would you make such an ignorant claim? "The Navy doesn't try to save ANY of their history"

Are you trolling or just an idiot?
        I'll just pass over the 'personal' remarks.

As far as I know, other than the Arizona Memorial which is mainly under the care of the National Parks Service, and the U.S.S. Constitution which I believe is heavily subsidized by private funds (I may be wrong about this) The U.S. Navy isn't significantly involved the the historic preservation of a single ship. I'm sure the Navy could maintain a half-dozen or so historically significant ships as Navy operated museums (subsidized by admission sales) in various ports for a similar expense as the Air Force's quite large museum system.

This is my opinion and I don't mind if someone disagrees. I've even been known to change my mind when presented with a compelling argument.
        Last edited by Gus00; 01 Feb 10,, 05:35.

Comment

As far as I know, other than the Arizona Memorial which is mainly under the care of the National Parks Service, and the U.S.S. Constitution which I believe is heavily subsidized by private funds (I may be wrong about this) The U.S. Navy isn't significantly involved the the historic preservation of a single ship. I'm sure the Navy could maintain a half-dozen or so historically significant ships as Navy operated museums (subsidized by admission sales) in various ports for a similar expense as the Air Force's quite large museum system.
          The ability to preserve a ship, an enormous and complex system of machinery, in a saltwater environment in no way compares to a climate-controlled museum on land. The manpower and materials requirements are totally different.

A ship is, by it's very nature, constantly exposed to the corrosive elements of nature and most ship museums reflect both this and the limited amount of funds that you so casually assert could subsidize such an endeavor.

In other words, go to any ship museum and check out how well they're maintained. Many of them are on the ragged edge of deterioration due to lack of funds and manpower.

As for your ridiculous claim that the Navy doesn't try to save ANY of it's history, compared to the Air Force's "quite large museum system", I suggest that you visit any of the twelve official US Navy museums around the country.

You might want to start with the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola FL...unless of course 150+ aircraft and 4000+ artifacts don't constitute "saving ANY of it's history" in your book.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

(notice that I don't use the word 'you' anywhere)

I'm pretty sure that if SHIPS can be preserved as museums by private organizations, even those barley managing to do so on a tiny sliver of a shoestring budget, then the United States Navy could probably afford to do the same. If the Navy was at least more helpful at the start up level for private endeavors that would be something. Many of the museum ships we do have probably could never get started under today's regulations and expenses.

My USAF comparison was more to the level of commitment rather than actual dollars and cents.

All I have to say.

Comment

Oh, I had hoped to learn more about the Des Moines in particular here as people tend to add little bits of knowledge and other insights on a thread like this.... but.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that if SHIPS can be preserved as museums by private organizations, even those barley managing to do so on a tiny sliver of a shoestring budget, then the United States Navy could probably afford to do the same.
                Or it could use scarce funds for operations and new construction. Drydocking and repairs to the Yorktown alone are expected to run well north of $100 million.

Which would you rather have? An operational navy or a fleet up on blocks?

Many of the museum ships we do have probably could never get started under today's regulations and expenses.
                And how many of those are regulations and expenses are the result of the Navy, versus the government?

My USAF comparison was more to the level of commitment rather than actual dollars and cents.
                Your comparison was born out of, as I said, sheer ignorance. The USN has a dozen museums and continues to add to them.

But trying to compare the preservation of a warship to even a dozen aircraft is both silly and "childish".

Comment

The Des Moines class was the ultimate heavy cruiser. No other heavy cruiser can compare. The guns speak for themselves. The armor scheme combined the extensive coverage you find in Axis ships with the great thickness typical in American ships. Internal splinter protection is elaborate--as I recall, it was intended to localize damage from battleship-caliber hits.

Comment

hate to see her scrapped.

my wife took me and the kids to the air,naval-museum at mobile, alabama,right when i got my legs back under me after my motorcycle wreck,took 7 months loads surgeries,anyway on a cane, i went through that battleship and submarine till i was sick,most awesome sight,plus all the missilles,jets,tanks,a real sr-71 blackbird."awesome,something about that battleship though.ill never forget..

Comment

The image at Brownsville is dated as the scrapping of the Ex- Des Moines is complete. Their current endeavor is the scrapping of LHA-2 Ex-USS Saipan.
                      Last edited by surfgun; 01 Feb 10,, 23:34.

Comment

Working...
                      X