X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple unveils iPad....

Apple unveils its iPad computer

Steve Jobs has unveiled the new iPad
    Apple has put an end to weeks of fevered speculation by unveiling its long-awaited tablet PC, which it has called the iPad.

Steve Jobs, Apple's chief executive unveiled the touchscreen device at the Yerba Buena Center in San Francisco.

Mr Jobs described the tablet as a "third category" between smartphones and laptops.

The device, which looks like a large iPhone, can be used to watch films, store photos and browse the web.

Mr Jobs told an audience of journalists, analysts and industry peers that the device lets people "hold the whole web in your hands".

"What this device does is extraordinary. It is the best browsing experience you have ever had," he said.

The device also has the firms iTunes software built in, allowing users to purchase songs and movies straight to the device.

The launch puts to rest months of speculation and rumour in the blogosphere.

Apple - famous for its secrecy - had remained silent in the run up to the launch, unwilling to release any details publicly.

BBC News - Apple unveils its iPad computer
    "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

And there was much rejoicing...

Yay....
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Another iDon'tWantOrNeed device. :)

-dale

Comment

So long as it keeps that stock close to $200 or slightly less a share, I dont care if they release the Ipieceofcrap so long as people buy buy buy. Man its good to see Steve Jobs back at the helm.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

To me, this is the real significant piece of news from Apple today:

Apple Launches Its Own CPU, the 1GHz A4

2:31 PM - January 27, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen

More than meets the eye.

Today's unveiling of what seemed to be a dull product, also introduced something else even more significant from Apple--its first real CPU, the 1GHz Apple A4 processor.

Apple's purchase of PA Semiconductor not too long ago, yielded its first product today, but it's not the fact that it was used in the iPad that makes it special. What's special is that Apple now has a real processor on its hands. And in case you're wondering whether or not Apple's own CPU can compete with the likes of ARM's Cortex or Qualcomm's Snapdragon CPUs, the A4 has potential to kick the living shnizzles out of those CPUs.

First, the A4 runs at a 1GHz frequency, which by mobile CPU standards, is quite high. Considering that Qualcomm's 1GHz Snapdragon powers Google's Nexus One, the Apple A4 could power the next wave of super-smartphones. In fact, at its current spec and frequency, the Apple A4 can play back HD video for 10 hours before requiring a full battery charge.

As of currently, other specs about Apple's A4 CPU are scant, but we're sure things will be more clear in the next coming weeks. We can see from the iPad's capabilities that the A4 is potent, but things are still fresh and we'll have to wait and see what software developers can come up with.

What the iPad showcases today and what it's an indication of, is a lot more interesting than the iPad itself.
          Apple Launches Its Own CPU, the 1GHz A4 - Tom's Hardware

And people think Micro$oft is a monopoly...
          Attached Files

Comment

The name sounds like a feminine hygiene product.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post

-dale
              I'm inclined to agree with you. Wish they had a loaner program. I'd use it for business if it measured up. I'm through buying pigs in a poke. Can't try it, won't buy it.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Not so flattering review on the iPad...

The Truth Behind Apple's iPad

6:01 PM - January 27, 2010 by Tuan Nguyen

It's a console.

Apple's iPad, which launched today to much fanfare, is simply an enabling platform. Those who have the iPhone or iPod Touch, know what it's like, for the most part, to use the iPad.

Sure, the iPad's got a much larger screen, and a faster processor, and even 3G, but it's just a bigger iPod Touch.

The killer application for the iPhone, was in fact, its ability to fit right into your pocket. Can you see yourself grabbing an iPad while you dash out your front door? Not me. It's big. And I already have my notebook, which also happens to be a MacBook Pro. Sure, call me an Apple fanboy, I don't care. My main desktop is in fact, a custom built PC. But even someone like me who has an Apple product, I can't vouch for the iPad.

The most critical point about the iPad, is the fact that it can't multi-task. Like the iPod Touch and the iPhone, it can only run one application at any given time. Despite having a powerful CPU on the inside, the iPad is crippled because of its operating system, the same operating system behind the iPhone. Fundamentally, if you already have a notebook and an iPhone, the iPad will have a difficult time finding a place in your daily routine.

Let's all say it together now: no multi-tasking? What the bleep?

The truth.

The iPad is a console, in every sense of the word. The real money maker for Apple, is the App Store, iBook store, and iTunes store. The iPad will capture the audiences that the iPhone/iPod Touch wasn't, and then some. It'll also capture the core Apple audience too. I've talked to a few real Apple fans today, and even they difficulty wrapping their heads around the iPad.

The iPad is a closed system. You can't do anything you want to it. Apps must be from the App Store. Like an SNES, or a PS3, software must be sanctioned. And like consoles, only one game can be played at any given time. And Like those consoles makers, the money is in the software (for consoles, it was the license to make software).

The iTunes store, the App store, and now the iBook store. Even if Apple sold each iPad for $50, it would make back its losses in a very short time period.

Truth be told, the magic should have been in the software. Given that the iPad is a tablet, we can understand that it doesn't have a keyboard. But not to be able to let its owner run more than one app is a miserable thing. The OS could have been so much more for the iPad. What the iPad should have shipped with, was OS X, with a tablet designed UI--not a tablet, with the iPhone OS.

Like a console though, it almost doesn't matter. It's all about getting people onto the App Store and making small payments, but a lot of small payments. One closed system, many software purchases. And because of the iPhone's already enormous popularity, it's not hard to convince just even those users, to hop on the iPad.

No doubt, there will be some instances where the iPad can deliver some unique uses. For many mainstream users who either just chat, email, or browse, the iPad may be OK. But for power users who love their software and want to get things done, there are alternatives.

Did I mention you can at least chat while playing games on current generation consoles?
                The Truth Behind Apple's iPad - Tom's Hardware
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post

-dale
                  Sure want it, sure don't need it
                  sure can live without one, or any of these golddigger gadgets

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post
                    The name sounds like a feminine hygiene product.
                    THX for making me laugh.

I seen the picture, it looks like an oversized iPhone. Definitely wouldn't fit in the panties, and it looks too delicate to survive the Cousin Invasion. I'll stick with a sturdy and inexpensive laptop.

Comment

iPad is for iDorks....
                      "They want to test our feelings.They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and their newspapers."

Protester

Comment

Originally posted by Intifada View Post
                        THX for making me laugh.

I seen the picture, it looks like an oversized iPhone. Definitely wouldn't fit in the panties, and it looks too delicate to survive the Cousin Invasion. I'll stick with a sturdy and inexpensive laptop.
                        In the panties?;):))

Comment

A joke bro, only a joke.:P

Get it....iPad???

Comment

Originally posted by Intifada View Post
                            A joke bro, only a joke.:P

Get it....iPad???
                            Just ribbing ya.;):))

Comment

These about sum up my reaction.

For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                              X