16 days to Vancouver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16 days to Vancouver

16 days and counting to the opening of the Vancouver Olympics. I have always liked the winter games more. The alpine skiing events are my favorites, plus bobsled, luge, and skeleton.

And for some strange reason, I am always kind of hypnotized by curling. It's wierd. Shuffleboard on ice with brooms. They get so into it with those brooms. I never really understood the rules, but they obviously know what they are doing, lol.

Austria is having a disastrous year in skiing, not a single world cup win for the men this year. First time that's ever happened that I know of.

Lindsey Vonn has been tearing it up in the women's downhill and super G, with Germany's Maria Riesch close on her tails. Lindsey is so strong, she has the rest of the field completely intimidated. Maria is the only one that has a chance to spoil Lindsey's day, unless Lindsey just skis out.

Men's speed events are up for grabs, Swiss skier Didier Couche has been the strongest lately, but you can't count out Bode (Chokey) Miller- He will go like hell or ski out trying. Both slalom and GS have strong contenders from most of the European countries. Canada and the US will probably be "also rans" in those events.

American bobsled driver Steve Holcomb and team USA1 won the 4-man world cup title, first time for an American in 17 years, and the overall championship for 2010. He should be the favorite in Vancouver, but the Germans are strong.

The Canadians look good for freestyle skiing and snowboarding, with very deep teams in all the events. America has a couple strong snowboarders, so there should be a medal or two to be had, but I think the Canadians will clobber everyone in the freestyle events.

The big question mark will be the snow conditions, warm temps will mean inconsistent runs, and the earlier skiers in the day will have the advantage as the courses will get chopped up fast.

Don't know about hockey, gunnut?

Anyway, I can't wait! I love the winter games.
    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Originally posted by highsea View Post
    The big question mark will be the snow conditions, warm temps will mean inconsistent runs, and the earlier skiers in the day will have the advantage as the courses will get chopped up fast.
    Starting to look like a huge questionmark...parts of Arizona just got 96 inches of snow or something obscene like that while Vancouver is melting, perhaps some kind of cross-border snowlift could be orchestrated?
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Don't know about hockey, gunnut?
      The Canucks are going with old dudes. We have kids on our team. The Russians have Ovechkin and Malkin. The Swedes are always in the hunt. I don't see the gold going to anyone other than one of these 4.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

gunnut, are the Olympics the only time these teams will play against each other?
        "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

I'll limit myself to WOOHOO!!!!!

Curling: played it three times and loved it all three times.
          Snowboarding: Used to teach it but found it limiting except for the aerials.
          Anything on skis: Taught it, did it, WOOHOO!!!!
          Crosscountry/telemarking: good for traveling but racing? Nah.
          Ice Skating: depends how skimpy the womens costumes are....
          Ice hockey: just watch it for the collisions, which are cool.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            ...Ice Skating: depends how skimpy the womens costumes are...
            I second that, but they all seem to be wearing these full body leotards these days.

Speed skating is cool too, China and Korea dominate the short tracks this year, but Apollo Ohno might have something for them, and Shani Davis owns the 1500 meter.

Comment

I second that, but they all seem to be wearing these full body leotards these days.

Speed skating is cool too, China and Korea dominate the short tracks this year, but Apollo Ohno might have something for them, and Shani Davis owns the 1500 meter.
              Speed Skating = NASCAR in Leotards. How's about a right hand turn once in a while?
              You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                Speed Skating = NASCAR in Leotards. How's about a right hand turn once in a while?
                Speaking of which, DAYTONA 500 in 18 days!

Double WOOHOO!

Right hand turns are for girls.

Comment

Speaking of which, DAYTONA 500 in 18 days!

Double WOOHOO!

Right hand turns are for girls.
                  Yeah buddy!!!
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

gunnut, are the Olympics the only time these teams will play against each other?
                    I think they will play against each other with these players (NHL guys) in Canada Cup, or World Cup as it is known now.

I'm not sure about other international competitions. Many of them feature junior players or college guys.

Comment

Ice Skating: depends how skimpy the womens costumes are....
                      That's why I watch the pros in figure skating.

Ice hockey: just watch it for the collisions, which are cool.
                      In that case, you should like NHL games. The rinks are smaller so the chance of collision is much larger.

Comment

Goalie mask for Team USA
                        Attached Files

Comment

Lindsey won the womens downhill even with her injured shin. Congratulations to her. She won every world cup downhill this year except the final one. She is amazing strong- skis on men's skis. Rumor is they are Bodie's skis from last year.

Mancuso takes silver! America goes 1-2 in women's downhill.

Bodie got bronze in mens downhill, that was a surprise of sorts. 9/100 of a second separated the first 3 spots, incredibly close racing. Cuche came in 6th, that was a surprise. The "other Didier" won, congrats to Switzerland.

Super Combined and Super G's coming up! Can't wait.
                          Last edited by highsea; 18 Feb 10,, 02:52.

Comment

OK, The IOC is just getting weird.

I can understand the banning of "Miller Time", but the other two?

IOC defends U.S. sticker ban

VANCOUVER, February 17, 2010 (AFP) - The International Olympic Committee on Wednesday defended its decision to ban American hockey stars Jonathan Quick and Ryan Miller from wearing promotional stickers on their masks at the Winter Games.

Goaltender Miller covered the controversial phrase "Miller Time" on his mask Tuesday for the 3-1 victory over Switzerland but kept visible the phrase "Matt Man" to honor his late cousin who died from cancer in 2007.

(The IOC originally banned "Matt Man" too....they must've had a change of heart about that one-YF)

"Miller Time" was deemed too near a motto used as commercial advertising for a beer brand.

Back-up goaltender Quick, who didn't play on Tuesday, was forced to cover over his "Support The Troops" message dedicated to US forces fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

"It's a complex rule and difficult to enforce but I think people generally understand that what we're trying to head for, what we need, is no commercial or political statements," said IOC spokesman Mark Adams.

"The idea is that we want the Games to be above everything and so there are always going to be shades of grey in certain areas where something is personal, something relates to a name.

"But I think people understand and I think people applaud us for trying to keep the commercial side off the field of play as much as we can do."

Comment

So I'm watching the Olympics...women's hockey between Russia and China.

Don't mean to disparage them but I've see better players at my local rink.

I think women (especially the Chinese team) suffer from lack of upper body strength. They made numerous bad passes due to lack of strength. Passes were too soft and often intercepted.

Comment

Working...
                              X