Early start! : 2010 baseball season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early start! : 2010 baseball season thread

Well, some of those first http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/21/miguel-cabrera-in-alcohol-abuse-treatment type of articles are already poping up so I guess the baseball season isn't THAT far away :P

So what's in store? it seems that most of the major moves have been made and only a few guys are left over on the market.

Some general outlook I think.

AL

East: right now, pecking order is probably Yankee > Red Sox (WC) > Rays (large gap)> Os and Jays, not a whole lot's changed here, the Yanks and RS are still very close, on paper the Yanks a bit better but really not large enough that certainly unforseen preformance or injuries can't change, Rays probably make the playoff if they change to any other division, but in this one their odds are poor (but not impossible, they have some nasty prospects on the verge again) . the O's might be ready to pass the Jays, they have made very significant progress in the last couple of years and are now finally looking like they have a plan.

Central: it's going to be another crapshoot, has been this way for a long while. it is really hard to say with any certainty that who has the advantage, as I think pretty much everyone but the Royals have a realistic shot, (and even the Royals might not be that bad) but also have the potential to suck badly. I have a very hard time making calls on this one. all I can say is that the Royals won't make the playoff . but all 4 other teams might .

West: the West have gotten interesting, the Angels seems to be declining but they almost always manage to pull out a nice season. the Mariners appears to be making a lot of smart moves but their lineup still looks thin. the Rangers and A's are actually solid teams in their own right. this is another tough division to call, right now I go with Mariner > Angels > Rangers > A's but feels that the order could easily change dramatically.

NL

East: well, the Phillies are still awesome, the Braves are looking like very legitimate wild card contender, and the Mets are a mess. the Marlins would be a contender if they spend more than a AAA team, but since they don't they're not likely to contend, the Nationals are on the right track but they're still at the infancy stages of rebuilding from a disastor of Haiti perportion.

I'd call Phillies > Braves (WC) > Marlins > Mets (the Mets of the last 3 year were unlucky but they also had serious flaws, those flaws don't look like they gotten any better if not worse, even assuming luck bounce back some they're probably a 3rd place team at best.). > Nationals.

Central: The Cardinals are going to win, and it's not going to be close, the Cubs and lesser extend the Brewers might have a outside shot at the wild card. the Reds and Pirates and Astros are still terrible, the difference is that I can see the former two get better in 2 or 3 year, but not the Astros, who might have a ok record but isn't going to the playoff anytime soon.

right now it's Cards > Cubs > Brewers > Astros > Reds > Pirates.

West: another very tough division to call other than the obvious fact that the Padres are going to be downright dreadful. the othe 4 teams all have some amazing talents but also has a lot of holes . the Dodgers probably are a tick above the rest (though WAR projections says the 4 teams are basically a wash and the Rockies might have the slight advantage, but I've seen some other projections that probably would put to Dodger as an awesome 95+ win team easily).

Tough call: Dodgers > 3 teams very interchangable and all have a mild shot at the wild card if not the division too >>>>>>>>>>>>>. Padres .

I have been and always will be a Mets fan, but what happened last year was really painful to watch. I think that the team needs restructuring in certain areas, from the GM all the way down to the pinch runners. While injuries definitely played a part in last year's debacle, some things were just plain unforgivable. I'm hoping things will change this year around for the Mets, and we'll see them giving and continuing to give the stellar performance we all know they're capable of giving. Here's hoping...
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

yeah, they probably need to fire their most of their FO and medical staff. the last 3 season of the Mets are either really funny or painful depending on your allegiance

Comment

Two years ago and three years ago there was definitely something wrong with the Mets themselves. Squandering such big leads two seasons running is a big problem. Last year was more bad luck than anything else, if you ask me. Sure, there were some fiascoes with the main office, Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel and of course, the good Mr. Tony Bernazard...
        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

The Mets have done well in acquring stars for the most part, Carlos Beltran signing and Johnan Santana trade were both very successful acquisition. but they have done poorly to fill in the gap. and their drafting , player development has been pretty ehhh outside of David Wright. they nearly messed up Jose Reyes by rushing him, and since then have not produced anyone that's more than ok quality (like Pelfry, and even the ok guys aren't exactly abundent)

Of the 14 hitters and 14 pitchers that had the most playing time for the Mets last year (i'm using 14 14 because # 14 on both list are guys that fit the profile). 4 hittes and 3 pitchers were developed by the Mets. in comparason, using the same standards you get 7 yankee hitters and 8 pitchers. even if we discount the old guards it's still 5:6 .

Truth is, the Mets right now looks and feel a lot like the Yankees of 05-08, a team with great starts but some gigantic holes they can't properly fill from within.

Comment

So players taking PED = outrage

but Ron Washington taking cocain = .... crickets?

Comment

My Cleveland Indians have been pretty consistent with choking when the time counts. At least they find ways to beat the Yankees (something like 7 of the top 10 run totals dropped on the NYY in their team history are from the Indians--last year's 22 run game included).

I'm looking forward to Asdrubal Cabrera continuing his improvement and being a .300 hitter, as well as Grady Sizemore coming out and figuring out how to consistently hit over .250.

That way, once they can be considered solid/premier players, Cleveland can deal them away for peanuts and minor leaguers.
              "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                Two years ago and three years ago there was definitely something wrong with the Mets themselves. Squandering such big leads two seasons running is a big problem. Last year was more bad luck than anything else, if you ask me. Sure, there were some fiascoes with the main office, Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel and of course, the good Mr. Tony Bernazard...
                I went to Shea last season to watch a Mets/Cubbies game (Cubs won) and every single person that I expected to see was injured on the Mets squad. THAT I think killed them last year. If they can stay healthy, they won't choke until at least the NLCS. I don't think, anyway :P
                "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach...just make sure you thrust upward through his ribcage."

Comment

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
                  right now it's Cards > Cubs > Brewers > Astros > Reds > Pirates.
                  2 things--Did I see Tony Gwynn playing for San Diego in a Grapefruit League game the other day? Or am I seeing things???

And--The Pirates! I'm picking them like Sienna in March Madness--the sleeper that's going to take it all!

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnG View Post
                    2 things--Did I see Tony Gwynn playing for San Diego in a Grapefruit League game the other day? Or am I seeing things???

And--The Pirates! I'm picking them like Sienna in March Madness--the sleeper that's going to take it all!
                    It's Tony Gwynn.... JUNIOR , time flys no? though little Gywnn doesn't have enough pop to be a very serious major leaguers. more like a fringe starter than a hall of fame hitter.

I suppose Pirates might suprise, but their rotation looks too sucky at this point even by NL central standards. if they could figure out some pitching they could be a real player down the road though.

Comment

I can't wait to see my Nationals.

Oh wait, maybe I'll have to check who the opposing team is so I can make sure that I'll see some good baseball. At least the stadium is nice and the W-L means that tickets will always be available :(
                      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
                        It's Tony Gwynn.... JUNIOR , time flys no?
                        Time does fly... I thought that same thing when I saw Prince Fielder.

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                          I can't wait to see my Nationals.
                          I'll end up at a Nationals Game undoubtedly. The misses and I like going to baseball games. Last year we took a trip up to Shea Stadium to see the Mets. We'll try this year for the Phillies, Orioles, and Nationals.

Comment

Well they probably call up Stephan Strasburgh about mid to late May, so that's something you could root for.

Comment

I'm just hoping Milwaukee's starting pitching finally gets straightened out...

ZF-

Comment

Working...
                              X