Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a British Citizen join the Australian Armed Forces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a British Citizen join the Australian Armed Forces?

Im 17 and currently doing A levels at 6th form. My initial career plan was to join the British Armed Forces as an officer after studying at University. However I am unable to join due to asthma. I recently read that the Australian Military allow asthmatics to join. I was wondering if this is true, also if it is possible and if there is anyone else who has done this?

Many Thanks

Try here

Edit: You have to be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident unless you have prior military experience.
    Last edited by StevoJH; 17 Jan 10,, 17:21.

Comment

Well that doesn't seem fair. My great uncle joined the Canadian Army during the early years of WWII (before the U.S. would 'officially' enter the war), and he was a natural-born American citizen living in the U.S..

Comment

Originally posted by ErrantVenture11 View Post
        Well that doesn't seem fair. My great uncle joined the Canadian Army during the early years of WWII (before the U.S. would 'officially' enter the war), and he was a natural-born American citizen living in the U.S..
        However, America decreed that any of its citizens serving with foriegn forces, would have their US citizen stripped

Comment

Its fair, as long as he met the health requirements he could probably get dual citizenship or something. The thing that must be remembered, is that moving to Australia from the UK is not like moving from the US to Canada, you can't just get in your car and move home if you don't like it. ;)

Comment

Sorry dude you'll have to find a way to get yourself PR in Aus first, consider trying to settle as a student or something to that effect.
            What's even more unfair is that Australians and all citizens of former Empire countries can join the British Armed Forces, myself and about 30% of the Royal Irish being a case in point.

Comment

Originally posted by junoth1001 View Post
              However, America decreed that any of its citizens serving with foriegn forces, would have their US citizen stripped
              Well there must have been some sort of loop hole. He retired a colonel in the U.S. Army with many decorations, including a Medal of Honor.

Lewis Millett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Well there must have been some sort of loop hole. He retired a colonel in the U.S. Army with many decorations, including a Medal of Honor.

Lewis Millett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                Always threatened, never enforced.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  Always threatened, never enforced.
                  Welcome to America :)

Comment

While serving in a foreign military, your citizenship is stripped but you can regain it once you return. Sappersgt has first hand knowledge.

Comment

Errant Venture Reply

Your great-uncle was a hell of a man.

"By February 7, 1951, Millett was serving in Korea as a captain and commander of Company E of the 27th Infantry Regiment. On that day, near Soam-Ni, he led his company in an assault on an enemy position atop Hill 180. When one platoon became pinned down by heavy fire, Millett took another platoon forward, joined the two groups, and led them up the hill. Wielding his bayonet and throwing hand grenades, Millett yelled encouragement to his soldiers throughout the hand to hand fight. Upon reaching the top of the hill, his men stormed the enemy position and forced the opposing soldiers to withdraw. Although wounded in the shin by grenade fragments, Millett refused to be evacuated until the position was secured.[3][4] Historian S.L.A. Marshall described the attack as "the most complete bayonet charge by American troops since Cold Harbor."
                      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Shame I never got to meet him. He lived in CA, I lived in MD, and whenever he was in town I wasn't. I should go update his Wiki, it isn't current, and omits entirely the fact that he has another son living, who also served and is now an accomplished artist/sculptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          While serving in a foreign military, your citizenship is stripped but you can regain it once you return. Sappersgt has first hand knowledge.

Only if serving in a the military of a country that is hostile to the US.
                          Or if you join as a commissioned officer. That may be seen as intent to relinquish your US citizenship. Its been that way since the late 60s.

You cannot be stripped of citizenship, It has to be given away freely.

Comment

No dual citizenship

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                            Or if you join as a commissioned officer. That may be seen as intent to relinquish your US citizenship.
                            The Gunny's right (again). Also includes NONcommissioned officers, I found out much to my chagrin. I was already a Corporal when I had to appear before some US Consulate officers and relinquish my citizenship. Didn't make me very happy. The alternative was possible prosecution with a minimum of eight years in prison. I don't know if they would have done it, I wasn't going to find out.

They did however give me a statement from the State Dept stating that I would be granted US citizenship by virtue of my birth if I so desired. I kept my US passport saying I lost it. Came in handy! ;)

When I finally came home for good I claimed US citizenship upon entry. Later I had to relinquish my Union of South Africa (USA!) citizenship in front of SA consulate officials and surrender my South African passport.
                            Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                            (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

I only know because, many Marines wanted to go join the FFL back in the 80s.

Sapper, How did the US consulate find out you were a NCO?

Comment

Working...
                              X