Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allied air-to-air rocket kills during WWII??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allied air-to-air rocket kills during WWII??

A question if I may?

I am aware of the German's development and use of the un-guided rocket (R4M and Werfergranate 21) as an air-to-air weapon during WWII

But is anyone aware of any kills by allied aircraft during WWII?
    I have not heard or read of any - but this does not mean that they didn't occur!
    After all there were many Allied fighter-bombers - the likes of the Hawker Typhoon, Bristol Beaufighter flying around and toting these powerful (yet slow and not specifically designed for air-to-air combat rockets)
    Then there was the Russian's who were using air-to-ground rocketry even before the the RAF and USAAF!

Interested to hear what you may know

Regards
    Pioneer

I've never heard of any Allied air to air rocket kills in WW2.
    The Luftwaffe were able to use these type of rockets late war due to the Allied use of heavy bombers in large tight formations, something which which the Luftwaffe didn't and couldn't copy at that time in the war.

ps; The Allies did bring down a small number of Luftwaffe aircraft using unguided ground to air rockets in the early part of the war (ie, Z batteries)

Comment

Thanks Redco!

I have read that the British played with the idea of surface-to-air rockets as a means of air defence - but I did not realize that they actually scored operational hits.

Regards
      Pioneer

Comment

Some info on Z batteries
        BBC - WW2 People's War - "Z"Battery, Rocket AA in Hyde Park
        Some info on the unsuccessful UP rocket projectors fitted to a number of RN warships
        http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_UP.htm
        Last edited by redco; 04 Jan 10,, 14:35.

Comment

Working...
        X