AK-74 the best option for rifle/ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AK-74 the best option for rifle/ammo

For those of you that are considering a SHTF rifle or just want something that you can afford to practice with, may I suggest an AK-74.

The available rifles are priced between $500 and $600 and the ammo more importantly is "only" $150 or less per can of 1080 rounds. That's as cheap as it gets short of something like a .22LR conversion unit for your AR.

The 5.45x39 is a competent round - not as potent as many others but adequate nonetheless.

I have a couple of these rifles - a SAR-2 that I've duded up and a Bulgarian kit that I assembled some years ago. Both are good shooters.

The only caveat is that the ammo is Bulgarian and Russian and corrosively primed, but that is no biggy to me - just use some water to clean initially, dry and then use normal procedure. Besides, these rifles are almost all chrome-lined (barrels).

Here's a pic of my old SAR-2:

I changed out the furniture, gas block (for one with a bayo lug), front sight base (for threaded one to take the flash hider) and several other upgrades. These are Romanian produced rifles. You now see "WASR" rifles which are similar but of lesser quality.

These tend to shoot tighter than the average AK-47 clones, giving 3" or better groupings at 100 yards. This depends of course on your abilities. They are a challenge to shoot well due to the sights and trigger pulls - not to mention the difficulty benching them with the long mags. Proper three-position technique helps to avoid that though.

If anyone would like links to good places to buy AK-74 rifles or ammo, I would be happy to provide some.
    Last edited by OSOK; 31 Dec 09,, 04:58.
    Don't just sit there, do something!

There isn't nothing wrong with an AK or one of the many clones, they work and are reliable enough under the worst conditions you can imagine. As to the price and availability of mags etc they are unbeatable value for money, and much better than a pointy stick and harsh words.

Most of us would just prefer to have an AR as a first tier rifle and either a G3 or FN FAL as a battle rifle.

Tony
    Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

I certainly understand the alure of the AR, I have three and another one coming - the last chambered for the new 6.5 Grendel (I like 6.5mm).

I also have a Saiga 308 that I've converted to pistol grip configuration and have a bunch of FBMG mags for. Its an outstanding MBR - especially for the money. Gives me 2MOA with berdan primed Hertenberger milsurp ammo. Will do 1 - 1.5MOA with handloads and optics. Ammo of course, is pricey. Yes, I handload, but even the components have gone up a lot.

I just thought I'd post about the AK-74 because it really is an outstanding value and the ammo is the last of the inexpensive milsurp available - even lower priced than 7.62x54 and 8mm now.

Comment

Its great rifle,I love shooting AK74.I wish I could get one.But whey(arsenal) don't make it anymore.They switched to 5.56 and keep making 7.62x39 round and AK.You better stock pile OSOK(if you have AK74).Sooner or later bulgarian ammo will be out of stock.Arsenal makes 5.45x39 cartridge for military orders only,but don't make the AK in 5.45 anymore.Currently its producing AK in 5.56 and 7.62x39.When the warehouses are out of 5.45 what the owners of AK74 in US do?

Comment

Originally posted by Imho View Post
          Its great rifle,I love shooting AK74.I wish I could get one.But whey(arsenal) don't make it anymore.They switched to 5.56 and keep making 7.62x39 round and AK.You better stock pile OSOK(if you have AK74).Sooner or later bulgarian ammo will be out of stock.Arsenal makes 5.45x39 cartridge for military orders only,but don't make the AK in 5.45 anymore.Currently its producing AK in 5.56 and 7.62x39.When the warehouses are out of 5.45 what the owners of AK74 in US do?
          Well that's a good point!

One of the nice things about being in a country with a capitalistic economy is that when there is demand for something, you can be sure that somebody will produce it - given that there's a profit to be made. Plus, we already have several Russian manufactures producing this cartridge - Wolf, Barnaul, Ulny, etc.

So, we should be fine for ammo for some time.

Comment

Mine 74 clone is chambered in the .223/5.56. If any round will be available in the states the .223/5.56 will be on the shelves. I paid 125.00 for mine but that was before the prices shot up. Reliable, fun to shoot, and reasonably accurate.
            When the SHTF I will be sporting my SA.58. I am not going to a battle with a varmint round when a .308/7.62x51 is available.
            Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Working...
            X