Good books on COIN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books on COIN?

I know I maybe opening a can of worms here, but could anyone recommend some goods books on COIN, other then the more commonly known titles like the US Army/Marine Corps, and David Kilcullen's Accidental Guerrilla.

Overall though, I'm kind of at a loss of what I should add to my bookshelf when looking at the professional and other reading lists. So I was hoping someone could make some suggestions?

Thank you,

Kevin,

Have you looked at the numerous 'stickies' on this board & the WAB Bookstore? Good places to start. Perhaps pick out some titles & ask more specifically about them.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
      I know I maybe opening a can of worms here, but could anyone recommend some goods books on COIN, other then the more commonly known titles like the US Army/Marine Corps, and David Kilcullen's Accidental Guerrilla.

Overall though, I'm kind of at a loss of what I should add to my bookshelf when looking at the professional and other reading lists. So I was hoping someone could make some suggestions?

Thank you,
      Kevin,

What angle of COIN are you looking for? Theory? Practice? What will you use it for?

EDIT: I see you're double dipping, http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=9355. You'll get some good recommendations over there. I'd suggest that just as I asked here, that you narrow down what you're looking for, as there's thousands of titles that could be named that would fit the category "COIN." Depending on what you specifically want, many of them could be of little utility. Trying to find a survey book to write an undergraduate essay vs. trying to find a book on whether COIN could have been successful in Vietnam are two very different books and range from the general to the very specific.
      Last edited by Shek; 30 Dec 09,, 14:26.
      "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Kevin,
        Still standing by to give some recommendations - however, the field of COIN theory and practice is quite diverse and so I want to make sure to tailor recommendations to your interest/focus.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Working...
        X