No announcement yet.

Sukhoi PAK FA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

paintgun, unlike hollywood stereotype russian surnames mostly end on -ov/ev, so Raptorov or Black Widowov :))
    Last edited by Andrey Egorov; 29 Jan 10,, 17:17.
    We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
      now i start to wonder whether its truly a stealth plane? Reduced RCS, for sure. But is it low enough to be 'stealth'. I saw someones claimed its RCS is around 0.5 m2, which is still far too big to be a stealth fighter.
      This thing will have a smaller RCS than a Flanker for sure (I can't imagine they'd make it bigger, lol), but just from looking at the pictures, it's still not even close to the F-22's level of RCS suppression.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post

paintgun, unlike hollywood stereotype russian surnames mostly end on -ov/ev, so Raptorov or Black Widowov :))
        Don't forget -vich and -sky. ;)

As for Sukhoi, a couple years I sat in their acrobatic airplane that a guy at my airport owned. It's a one seater, when you sat back in the seat, you were so comfortable, it felt like you were sitting in a recliner. And when you moved the stick there was no "lost movement", if you took one finger and slightly moved the stick left, the controls would respond to it. If this is as well-built an aircraft as that one was, it's a good airplane.

Comment

jr1, they're Belorussian(or even Polish) ;)

Comment

This will be a nightmare for the forum administration all around the globe. An avalanche of threads about F-22 vs Pak-Fa.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
              jr1, they're Belorussian(or even Polish) ;)
              When I was a kid like most in my generation I had a Nintendo and one of the games I had was Top Gun (very loosely based on the movie). Late '80s/early '90s video games relied heavily on stereotypes (of which Mike Tyson's Punchout takes the cake), and the opposing pilots in the dogfights were all intended Soviet, and from that game for awhile I thought almost every Russian's last name ended in -sky. :)) Found the names on the internet:

Boris "Buzz" Bombzinsky,
              Gorky Skykovsky,
              Igor Gregovich,
              Demitri Jetsky,
              Bobo Bubushka,
              Stalin Fortimesky,
              and Fearless Leader: Cy Beeria.
              Last edited by rj1; 29 Jan 10,, 18:20.

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post
                When I was a kid like most in my generation I had a Nintendo and one of the games I had was Top Gun (very loosely based on the movie). Late '80s/early '90s video games relied heavily on stereotypes (of which Mike Tyson's Punchout takes the cake), and the opposing pilots in the dogfights were all intended Soviet, and from that game for awhile I thought almost every Russian's last name ended in -sky. :)) Found the names on the internet:

Boris "Buzz" Bombzinsky,
                Gorky Skykovsky,
                Igor Gregovich,
                Demitri Jetsky,
                Bobo Bubushka,
                Stalin Fortimesky,
                :)):)):))

Comment

It looks like a larger modified F-22.

I wonder if down the road they will develop a stealth bomber, something to rival the B-2.

Well the Russians have some of the most advanced missiles & subs on earth, I'm sure they have the capability to develop some of the most advanced stealth technology possible (do not discount the fact they are getting help via Indian involvement). I’ll be very surprised if the final T-50 is not at least comparable to the F-22/F-35.

Nebula82.
                  Last edited by nebula82; 29 Jan 10,, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by rj1 View Post

Boris "Buzz" Bombzinsky,
                    Gorky Skykovsky,
                    Igor Gregovich,
                    Demitri Jetsky,
                    Bobo Bubushka,
                    Stalin Fortimesky,
                    Top Gun was one of the best games for the Nintendo. It was disturbingly hard for my 9 or 10-year old self to shoot down the new Blackjack Bomber!

Comment

Very nice looking bird ;) Looks prettier than the Raptor which I think only looks good from certain angles. (Now before I get crucified for that remember that whole "eye of the beholder" thing) I dont think anyone here has the ability to gage RCS reduction based on a picture!!!!! But at least it is a serious effort. Users of the Typhoon and and Rafale might be feeling a little uncomfortable this morning!!! But this may be the impetus needed to push further developments of those aircraft. Im thinking specifically about the Typhoon here with regards to AESA Radar, Conformal weapons bays etc.

What are folks thoughts on a realistic in service date? It sure as heck isnt going to be 2015 as some sites are claiming!!! Also, is this bird required to be carrier capable?

Regards

Arty
                      "Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations".- Motto of the Gun Crew who have just done something incredibly stupid!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by nebula82 View Post
                        It looks like a larger modified F-22.

I wonder if down the road they will develop a stealth bomber, something to rival the B-2.

Well the Russians have some of the most advanced missiles & subs on earth, I'm sure they have the capability to develop some of the most advanced stealth technology possible (do not discount the fact they are getting help via Indian involvement). I’ll be very surprised if the final T-50 is not at least comparable to the F-22/F-35.

Nebula82.
                        They are getting mainly Financial help from the Indians. And the Indian armament industry mainly licenses products from Russia to build. or buys what it needs from Israel. Russia has the problem of a declining talent drain. many of it's past engineering talent is now retiring and it's younger talent going to work in other countries for a lot more money. Not to mention a serious degrading of it's manufacturing infrastructure.

While there may be some electronic upgrading by 2015. I highly doubt the airframe will be changed at this stage in the game. Problems I see compared to F-22 is a less stealthy airframe, Inadequate IR suppression, and apparent lack of a iridium-tin oxide canopy to deflect radar waves from the Cockpit. Giving the Russians some benefit of doubt the T-50 may have a RCS value closer to the F-35. But defiantly nowhere near the F-22. But then again it costs a lot less to.
                        Last edited by Thomas1016; 29 Jan 10,, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Versus View Post
                          This will be a nightmare for the forum administration all around the globe. An avalanche of threads about F-22 vs Pak-Fa.
                          Very true.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas1016 View Post
                            They are getting mainly Financial help from the Indians. And the Indian armament industry mainly licenses products from Russia to build. or buys what it needs from Israel. Russia has the problem of a declining talent drain. many of it's past engineering talent is now retiring and it's younger talent going to work in other countries for a lot more money. Not to mention a serious degrading of it's manufacturing infrastructure.

While there may be some electronic upgrading by 2015. I highly doubt the airframe will be changed at this stage in the game. Problems I see compared to F-22 is a less stealthy airframe, Inadequate IR suppression, and apparent lack of a iridium-tin oxide canopy to deflect radar waves from the Cockpit. Giving the Russians some benefit of doubt the T-50 may have a RCS value closer to the F-35. But defiantly nowhere near the F-22. But then again it costs a lot less to.
                            I may be wrong but I doubt Indian scientists and engineers had any role to play in this bird so far.

The Indian involvement will be on the Indian version of this bird, the FGFA; which will have a different set of avionics and will also see changes to the airframe. India's bird will not be a single seater.
                            Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                            -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                              I may be wrong but I doubt Indian scientists and engineers had any role to play in this bird so far.

The Indian involvement will be on the Indian version of this bird, the FGFA; which will have a different set of avionics and will also see changes to the airframe. India's bird will not be a single seater.
                              That's why is said they are mainly getting financial help from India.

Comment

I am not an expert in aerodynamics.
                                My first uneducated impression is not so hot. I would say 7 out of 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X