Sukhoi PAK FA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Inst View Post
    The F-22 supposedly can spot another F-22 at 40km, so the PAK-FA will get detected and destroyed from long-range with ramjet BVRs.
    Wow! Is there such a project on the pipelines? I thought they were just getting started to bump up the raptor for Aim-9x and 120Ds, are they planning to bump them up further?

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea View Post
      Also, those "wing bays" are dummies. There is no door there. You can see that clearly in Andrey's first hi-res pics. That doesn't mean they are not planned for that purpose, but this plane will never carry weapons, so it's not needed.
      Besides, how wise is it to put electrics with moving parts(weapons bay and launch systems) in the same vicinity with fuel tanks? Is that not disaster waiting to happen?

Comment

Paintgun, you haven't been around here long enough to know what we think of Carlo Kopp. He has one agenda, and one agenda only.
        Reminds me of my niece denied of her candy :))

Comment

• Originally posted by Zinja View Post
          Wow! Is there such a project on the pipelines? I thought they were just getting started to bump up the raptor for Aim-9x and 120Ds, are they planning to bump them up further?
          MDBA Meteor. We had a similar AMRAAM version planned, but we dropped it.
          Originally posted by Zinja View Post
          Besides, how wise is it to put electrics with moving parts(weapons bay and launch systems) in the same vicinity with fuel tanks? Is that not disaster waiting to happen?
          We do it all the time.
          "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by Zinja View Post
            Considering how much of a wing is actually a movable surface, I don't think it's much of a concern. You've already got flaps, ailerons, etc.

Comment

MDBA Meteor. We had a similar AMRAAM version planned, but we dropped it.
              I thought the Meteor was for the F-35, is it planned to be put on the Raptor as well?

Also, there was talk that the Aim-9x for the Raptor will be with much reduced fins to allow two missiles per weapons bay, is that still on the cards? Sorry for asking too many questions Highsea.

Comment

• is it true.

does the aim120d thats replacing the c7 have a 180 km range .just read this earlier. ought to give the raptor some long range teeth.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sisyphus View Post
                  Uhhhh...not that impressed with this fighter. It doesn't look as stealthy as the F-22 (especially those Flanker fighter looking engines sticking out like that vs. the raptor or the Lightning II). What's the range and speed of this fighter?
                  I'm quite impressed with this plane. It plays brilliantly to Russian strenghts, i.e. range, 3D thrust vectoring, large and powerful radar, big payload.

The Russians appear to have played the hand they were dealt quite masterfully. Will it have the avionics package of an F-35? Of course not, but it will have better maneuverability, much longer range, similar RCS, much larger payload, and arguably a better radar. It appears to best the F-22 in some areas while lagging in others, but overall, this is an impressive airplane.

You have to hand it to the Russians. They did fantastically well on this one.
                  I want what I do not have.

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutpBr3KYSk

the first secounds of the video show the internal weapons bay

Comment

• how do you know the range will be better? if memory serves then russia has a thing for fast aircraft with short ranges

Comment

• Originally posted by scorefour View Post
                        It appears to best the F-22 in some areas while lagging in others, but overall, this is an impressive airplane.
                        In what areas, and based on what?

It's a good looking plane, I'll give them that. Sukhoi makes 'em sexy, no doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by scorefour View Post
                          I'm quite impressed with this plane. It plays brilliantly to Russian strenghts, i.e. range, 3D thrust vectoring, large and powerful radar, big payload.

The Russians appear to have played the hand they were dealt quite masterfully. Will it have the avionics package of an F-35? Of course not, but it will have better maneuverability, much longer range, similar RCS, much larger payload, and arguably a better radar. It appears to best the F-22 in some areas while lagging in others, but overall, this is an impressive airplane.

You have to hand it to the Russians. They did fantastically well on this one.
                          Other than a large fuel load and probably good maneuverability, it seems way too early to state anything else given the present state of the aircraft.

Comment

• did you guys even look at the picture? :(

Comment

• Originally posted by wellman View Post
                              how do you know the range will be better? if memory serves then russia has a thing for fast aircraft with short ranges
                              The stated range is said to be close to 5500km. Bill Sweetman points out that the large beaver tail between the engines is typically a large fuel storage area on Russian fighters. The overall design appears to leave loads of room for fuel storage.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                                Other than a large fuel load and probably good maneuverability, it seems way too early to state anything else given the present state of the aircraft.
                                Of course none of know anything at this point but it is entertaining to speculate.

I do think that we can draw some reasonable conclusions based on what we know they've been working on, such as large and powerful AESA radar, supercruise, 3D thrust vectoring. We can also see from the photos that there are more weapons bays than the F-22.

We don't know anything but we've been given some good clues.

Comment

Working...
                                X