No announcement yet.

Sukhoi PAK FA News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 years if all goes well. And yet they're talking about it being in service in 3-5. Nobody's trashing the plane, unless this is what they're planning on putting out. As an initial version (ie, YF-22 vs F-22) it's fine.

Comment

• Consumer electronics companies have a habit of selling beta-ware to aggressive and stupid customers, leaving them with buggy garbage.

Might it be possible that the PAK-FA will be rushed out the door, sold to a bunch of desperate third-world countries, and an improved/production copy produced domestically or as an upgrade afterwards?

Comment

• Originally posted by andrew View Post
        It’s a prototype just to confirm the flying characteristics of the chosen form.
        Concerning the rivets, what we see is a naked skin which will be covered with RAM coating at later stages.
        Just for comparison:
        Andrew,

I think the rivets need to be sunk in for that to work. The picture you showed, for example, has that characteristic. It's a production process issue which I guess hasn't been addressed yet at Sukhoi. One of many development items, no doubt.

Comment

• Uhhhh...not that impressed with this fighter. It doesn't look as stealthy as the F-22 (especially those Flanker fighter looking engines sticking out like that vs. the raptor or the Lightning II). What's the range and speed of this fighter?

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
            Andrew,

I think the rivets need to be sunk in for that to work. The picture you showed, for example, has that characteristic. It's a production process issue which I guess hasn't been addressed yet at Sukhoi. One of many development items, no doubt.

These look to be countersunk (screws and rivers)

Originally posted by Inst View Post
            Consumer electronics companies have a habit of selling beta-ware to aggressive and stupid customers, leaving them with buggy garbage.

Might it be possible that the PAK-FA will be rushed out the door, sold to a bunch of desperate third-world countries, and an improved/production copy produced domestically or as an upgrade afterwards?
            There is a small market of cash strapped third world countries that are willing to invest into 4th generation planes, and when they do its in exceptionally limited numbers, often with political consideration to generate easy terms of payment.

The market might be emerging economies with money to spend, however not all of them will have security justifications right now to invest as the only commercially available plane F-35 is under development, and once complete will be sold to the partner states first. perhaps post 2017? And the only nation operating 5th generation planes is so powerful that a single type of plane will not effect its performance.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by kuku; 01 Feb 10,, 09:22.

Comment

• Originally posted by kuku View Post
              [ATTACH]18553[/ATTACH]
              These look to be countersunk (screws and rivers)
              You might be right. I was looking at a low res version of this picture where the rivets looked stuck out.

Comment

• rivets

just a small note. you don't apply RAM to the entire platform. it is typically applied to 20% of the airframe and only in signature management points

what that does mean is that they haven't advanced with composite binding ....
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

• some blueprints
                  Attached Files
                  We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                    Highsea, did you ever pull up the link I posted showing the rivet treatment?
                    Um, no. I missed that completely. When did you post it?
                    "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
                      ...what that does mean is that they haven't advanced with composite binding ....
                      Yeah, that's what I was noting earlier. Kind of surprising, given all the hype.

Andrey, I wouldn't put much stock in those line dwgs, they look like the work of some kid. The alignments are wrong.
                      "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea View Post
                        Um, no. I missed that completely. When did you post it?
                        A couple of pages ago, real good shots of the rivet treatment, I quoted you and said call me the tooth fairy.

Comment

• Originally posted by highsea View Post
                          Andrey, I wouldn't put much stock in those line dwgs, they look like the work of some kid. The alignments are wrong.
                          Sure, they haven't been stolen from drawing board.

I've read an article about the bird where it was called fifth generation joker in the pack. Which meant absence of engines ("new" four year old 117C is the same AL-31, AL-41F never been born), electronics never got out of the labs and weaponry that doesn't exists either. The airframe itself may be not that bad, but financing is already cut, the whole project considered finished and it exeeded 10 billions already.
                          We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            A couple of pages ago, real good shots of the rivet treatment, I quoted you and said call me the tooth fairy.
                            Oh! haha, I saw the goofy fonts on the link and went right past to Andrey's pictures.

Just to clarify the treatments I was referring to, I meant the fit and shape of the doors and access panels, I wasn't expecting RAM on the skin, etc. There's no reason to finish the surface on a prototype. The only place I see any nod to sawtoothing is on the nose gear door, the rest looks conventional.

But thanks for the link, I did go back and check it out. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Moroz View Post
                              Couple figures 'bout weapon bay
                              Thx Moroz. Im fully answered now.

Comment

• After cleaning it looks better.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X