No announcement yet.

Avatar (might be spoiler inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Human were once as nature-friendly creature as the depicted Nav'is in Avatar
    I disagree 1,000% Humans were "nature friendly" insofar as their technology was too limited to do too much damage. Primitive humans would and did do anything to their environment if it gave them and their progeny the slimmest additional chance for survival.

Hunt animals to extinction? No problem, do so, then move on. Slash and burn agriculture? Go for it. Run 1,000 Bison off a cliff and eat only 20 of them? Yup.

The romanticization of primitive peoples and their relationship with a "Gaia" figure has been badly overblown in our modern culture. American Natives were in fact extremely savage, practiced both cannibalism and (to the South) human sacrifice, were continually at war with their neighbors, and generally were not what we would consider nice people. Until the Spanish brought the horse, their only non-human creature that lived in "peace" with them was the dog. Everything else was either food, or danger.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      I disagree 1,000% Humans were "nature friendly" insofar as their technology was too limited to do too much damage. Primitive humans would and did do anything to their environment if it gave them and their progeny the slimmest additional chance for survival.
      Yes that was my context of nature-friendly, seems i still use the wrong word, i avoided nature-loving, but nature-friendly still don't cut it

Comment

Working...
      X