Discover History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discover History

Though this might be a nice idea for a thread. The idea is simple, post a piece of historical information that you think others may not be aware of. It might be a battle, a political battle, court intrigue or whatever.

The Battle of Mons Badonicus

Sometime in the late 5th or early 6th century the forces of the Britons fought and defeated the invading forces of the Anglo-Saxons. The Historia Brittonum attributes the victory to Arthur (the legendary King of the Britons).

The exact date of the battle is unknown, neither is its location, but it is believed to have been a defining moment in British history. The battle halted the advance of the Saxons who had invaded the province of Britannia after the last Roman legions left in the early 5th century. Arthur is believed by some to have been a Romano-British commander named Ambrosius Aurelianus, a military commander. It is believed that Aurelius was a Christian and that victory in the battle would have been attributed to receiving aid from the Christian god. This was at a time when the Christianity established by the Romans was being eroded by the advancing pagan Saxons who would ultimately re-convert Britannia/England to paganism.

Ultimately this is a significant source for the legend of King Arthur and much of the romance that is attributed with the collapse of the old order of the Roman Empire and the establishment of the Dark Ages.
    "I may be drunk my dear woman, but in the morning I will be sober, and you will still be ugly." WSC
Working...
X