Only in Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only in Australia

I'm shocked to discover that no 'Only in Australia' thread seems to exist, therefore to kick things off

I'm A Celebrity's Stuart and Gino face rat charges

by Sam Parker Dec 6th 2009 1:40PM
    Stuart Manning and Gino D'Acampo are facing charges of animal cruelty after killing and eating a rat during their appearance on reality show I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

Insects forced to see Kim Woodburn's head in extreme close-up and baby aligators dodging Katie Price's flailing limbs apparently don't count as acts of cruelty, but when eventual winner Gino plucked rat from the jungle floor and killed it a serious line was crossed.

The RSPCA in New South Wale's described the incident as "not acceptable" and Australian police have confirmed the pair will face court on 3rd Februrary 2010.

The pair resorted to eating the rat after being "exiled" during the show and forced to eat rations of rice and beans. Gino, 33, described it during the show saying: "I saw one of these rats running around. I got a knife, I got its throat, I picked it up."

Now he may be regretting the feast he shared with Stuart, 30, as he faces accusations of animal abuse.

Chief Inspector David Oshannessy from the Aussie RSPCA said:

"The killing of a rat for a performance is not acceptable. The concern is this was done purely for the cameras.

"Production staff have to submit a notification form to the RSPCA or Animal Welfare League - both are charged with responsibilities under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act.

"But we received no pre-notice or advice this segment was going to occur, it happened on a day no animals were featuring in production, so we didn't have an officer there."

ITV have said simply that they are "investigating the matter".

Meanwhile, the guilty pair will forever be remembered as the contestants who ate a rat and got in trouble with the police. Way to ruin a victory Gino.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    I'm shocked to discover that no 'Only in Australia' thread seems to exist, therefore to kick things off
    Well, It's about time,,,I thought I was going to have to do it myself! :)

We are certainly not bereft of the FBI (Fools, Bums and Idiots) type in this country.

For a start, one would have to be slightly suspect even watching a BS "reality" show like that let alone, wanting to appear in it.

As for the RSPCA, there was a time when they were a respected organisation that, staffed mainly by volunteers, did a lot of good.

The volunteers at the bottom of the organisation still do good however the management has been taken over by exteremist lunatics who would fit neatly within organisations such as PETA or the Animal Liberation Front.

The head of the organisation is Hugh Worth and he is a dangerous nutcase that has on occaisions, been reined in when he has said/done something stupid enough to embarrass a politician.
    As per the story, they like to give themselves grand titles like "Chief Inspector" and unlike PETA and others, they have the backing of the law, often using/abusing that power in ways that are not in the spirit or intention of the original legislation but more to do with their personal crusades.

As for the two that ate the rat, I hope their mates down the pub remind them often what drongos they have made of themselves.

Cheers.
    Keep em coming.
    Last edited by captain; 07 Dec 09,, 08:34.

Comment

I'm not going to lose any sleep over a rat. I've always been a member of the "you kill it you eat" bunch, something that has limited my cusine. These things really don't taste all all that good, defineately not like chicken. You've got to be really hungry to eat a rat.
      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

The act of cruelty here was the TV show. Charge the producers. At least the rat didn't have to watch the rest.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by captain View Post
          The volunteers at the bottom of the organisation still do good however the management has been taken over by exteremist lunatics who would fit neatly within organisations such as PETA or the Animal Liberation Front.

The head of the organisation is Hugh Worth and he is a dangerous nutcase that has on occaisions, been reined in when he has said/done something stupid enough to embarrass a politician.
          As per the story, they like to give themselves grand titles like "Chief Inspector" and unlike PETA and others, they have the backing of the law, often using/abusing that power in ways that are not in the spirit or intention of the original legislation but more to do with their personal crusades.
          Dr Wirth is regularly the subject of criticism & campaigns by PETA-style folks who clearly don't think he is extreme enough. He is certainly a bit eccentric & not always right, but the implication is unfair.
          sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Who needs dumb tourists to keep the Crocs fat and happy when we have discovered a need breed home grown Croc foods called Drongos.

Idiots swim into baited croc trap

NADJA HAINKE

December 27th, 2009

FOOLISH: This image surfaced yesterday after being posted on Facebook.

THE reckless idiots pictured have taken croc trap surfing to a dangerous new level - swimming into the cage.

The image of the three drongos risking their lives and limbs surfaced yesterday after they were posted on Facebook.

It is believed the picture was taken at Manton Dam - about 75km south of Darwin. The photo shows one man atop the floating metal cage - designed to capture 4m long salties.

His two mates are pulling faces from inside the baited trap.

It follows a series of photos - published in the Northern Territory News - which show wannabe thrillseekers captured on top of crocodile traps in the Territory.

Darwin girls Ally Pettifor and Bonnie Keogh became the laugh of the nation when they were photographed dancing on top of a croc trap - wearing nothing but bikinis and using champagne bottles as microphones.

The photo, published last month, went around the world and attracted hundreds of reader comments.

"From my understanding, crocodiles like to eat brain - so these two are safe," one reader said in a text message to the editor.
            Source; Idiots swim into baited croc trap | Northern Territory News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au

Apparently these two drongos survived which means we have to learn how to secure the Croc bait a little better.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X