No announcement yet.

First time shooting experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First "Gun" was that all time classic crossman Red Ryder BB gun.

At 10, I got my first rifle. A .22 cal Nylon 66. Next came a 20 gage Mossberg Model 500. It ballooned from there.

Biggest gun I've ever fired The M-110A2 8 inch howitzer. Uses 30 lbs of powder to fire a 195 lb bullet about 17 Km.:))

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

At 10, I got my first rifle. A .22 cal Nylon 66. Next came a 20 gage Mossberg Model 500. It ballooned from there.

Biggest gun I've ever fired The M-110A2 8 inch howitzer. Uses 30 lbs of powder to fire a 195 lb bullet about 17 Km.:))

Show off.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
        Personally,

Handguns:

Browning Hi-power with my modifications. Got one.

That ought to do it.

Prof
        Hey Prof, what mod's have you had done?

Mine has had the magazine safety removed, which makes for a much better trigger pull and I have had the upper and lower gas nitrided to give them a more durable finish.

Tony
        Last edited by toemag; 24 Dec 09,, 07:48. Reason: typo
        Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Toemag:

I had the lousy, heavy, crunchy trigger smoothed & lightened to 4lbs by a guy in Selma who also drilled the rear sight blades (it has the rifle sights) & the back of the semi-partridge front sight blade so I could have a 3-dot tritium. Didn't like the original sight visibility. Filemarked the sight bar for point blank impact @ 25yd with 115gr +P+ SJHPs & 50yd with 147gr +P SJHP, respectively. I also replaced the horrible grip slabs (I loathe the stock M35 grip slabs) with wonderful, marvelous, unequaled Kim Ahrens checkered cocobolo panels which are slim & fit my hand like the inside of an old glove. Look great, too. The gun didn't need any accuracy work. Added a bunch of good 17 round mags that work & a 10 round for shotshells (came with 3 13s). Also bought a bunch of leather of various description ranging from black, brown & cordovan belt slides & mag pouches (I'm a vain fashionista; want my belts & holsters to match) through a bunch of other stuff to an absolutely fabulous flapped field holster from Taiwan. All now thoroughly soaked down with WD-40.

Prof

Comment

Wd 40

That's a 4 letter word among shooters, as it kills primers. Hope it is only for the holsters and not the guns. Deadly WD-40 | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET WD-40 in firearms? - TheFiringLine Forums Breakfree is better for guns, will not kill the primers. There were several instances of this made the news, an FBI agent that put it on his gun, left it in his locker over a weekend, then needed it to go Bang on Monday and it didn't, a sheriff in Ariz, went to shoot a snake, and had to change out the rounds in his revolver to do it, because all the primers died. :(
            CADPIPE

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
              That's a 4 letter word among shooters, as it kills primers. Hope it is only for the holsters and not the guns. Deadly WD-40 | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET WD-40 in firearms? - TheFiringLine Forums Breakfree is better for guns, will not kill the primers. There were several instances of this made the news, an FBI agent that put it on his gun, left it in his locker over a weekend, then needed it to go Bang on Monday and it didn't, a sheriff in Ariz, went to shoot a snake, and had to change out the rounds in his revolver to do it, because all the primers died. :(
              Cadpipe:

Usually use 3 in 1 oil, but I have often used WD-40 without any problem. Good to know, though. Hadn't heard that before.

On heavy leather it's a fabulous dressing. Not such a good idea for thin stuff, because it weakens the material a little. I like leather to be soft & pliable. If you like stiff stuff, stay away from it. Your water-molded holster won't stay hard long. Leather well saturated with the stuff & allowed to dry is absolutely waterproof. You could probably shove it into a swamp & retrieve it a century later more or less unchanged. Darkens it a little, & it dulls a shiny finish some. All to the good, as far as I'm concerned.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                Ahem. That Red Ryder was a DAISY. :P

Definitely a classic, though.
                "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea View Post
                  Ahem. That Red Ryder was a DAISY. :P

Definitely a classic, though.
                  Yep. A daisy it was, in two senses of the word. I wanted one badly. Unfortunately, in one of my father's rare gun-for-me mistakes, what I got was a Daisy "Ricochet Sound" BB gun. The embarrassing damned thing made a loud, sort of ricocheting noise each time you shot it. I was glad when the noisemaker inside broke so that it only said "Querrnk." That was followed by a really nice no-name with a wood stock that cocked when you pushed the heavy steel barrel into a sleeve. It only held 22 or so BBs but the thing would shoot through one side of a galvo garbage can.

My daughter got a Red Ryder at 8, & tomorrow my grandson gets one too. Merry Xmas!

Prof

Comment

My first "gun" was the red Ryder. To this day I can not watch, "a Christmas Story" because I lived too much of that movie pertaining to the gun. Young, blond, wore glasses, heard the phrase, "You will shoot your eye out" multitudes of times. Yep, that was me alright.
                    I spent untold hours shooting grass hoppers with it. When I got older I moved on to BB wars. The Red Ryder was great for close in work and I could hit the opposing players many times before they could pump theirs for a shot. When they hit 7 pumps though it was time to turn and run because it was going to hurt. The Red Ryder had to rainbow in the long shots. What I learned with that bb gun came in use when shooting deer and elk when I got older.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
                      My daughter got a Red Ryder at 8, & tomorrow my grandson gets one too. Merry Xmas!Prof
                      I just found myself looking for the like button, but this isn't FB, ;-}

Tony
                      Yet another ex-tankie of 1 RTR origin.

Comment

Originally posted by toemag View Post
                        I just found myself looking for the like button, but this isn't FB, ;-}

Tony
                        Tony:

Delphic.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by cadpipe View Post
                          And How!!!!

Don't put it on your leather either, and I mean any leather. WD is a dessicant to leather and it will dry it out and the leather will fall apart. Found this out the expensive way years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by 7thsfsniper View Post
                            And How!!!!

Don't put it on your leather either, and I mean any leather. WD is a dessicant to leather and it will dry it out and the leather will fall apart. Found this out the expensive way years ago.
                            Now that I don't go with. I've been using the stuff on belts, boots, holsters, knife sheaths, mag holders & some coats & hats for over 2 decades now & not only hasn't anything so anointed dried out but also I've still got it all, & use the items frequently. QED. Or, at worst, if it's doing something bad to them the harm is taking its own sweet time making itself known. I'll manage to contain my trepidation.

'Course, it probably causes cancer, but then everything else does, too.

Prof

Comment

Originally posted by ErrantVenture11 View Post
                              I figured I would start a thread where we could share our first-time experiences with firearms. It could be first time ever, first time per weapon type, or just good stories of your first time firing a new weapon if the story is good.
                              My first shooting experience probably happened before I can remember. I grew up in a very rural community on a small-ish farm an hour outside of Cleveland, Ohio (two ponies, several hogs, dozens of chickens, a few ducks, numerous cats and always a pair of trusty yellow labs). My first long gun was probably a simple shot gun of some sort.

Funny story: When I was a young lad (probably 7-ish, since that was the age our father would take my brothers and sisters out hunting), my dad gave me my puny pee-shooter of a shot gun (don't remember the make), but apparently I had used it as a leaning tool a few times and filled the barrel with mud and other detritus. Luckily I never had an opportunity to shoot it and my poor dad had to spend the evening cleaning it out and re-oiling it.

My current armament is a simple Kimber Custom Stainless that my dad found at an auction (for a good price, he's an avid haggler) two years ago and gave me as a gift.

I know absolutely nothing about fire arms beyond how important it is to know how to shoot, clean, care for and secure my gun. But I do love to shoot, whenever I get the opportunity to go to the parents' house for target practice.

~String

Comment

Working...
                              X