No announcement yet.

US to play England first in 2010 World Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without the "armor" (plastic pads), fully 1/2 of each team would be catastrophically injured each game. It would come to a grinding halt due to lack of players.

There are other "tough-guy" games. Rugby, especially. Aussie-rules football. Hockey, although they too wear protective gear.

It is simply cultural. Far more children play soccer here than football, but on the collegiate and professional level, soccer is simply not as popular as American football.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      if he is so tough why does he need all that armor for? Full Plate armor came out of style quite a few centuries ago over here.
      Because armor takes away the excuse for writhing around the ground like you just experienced the greatest pain of all time and being taken away on a stretcher and then trotting back on to the field 2 minutes later.

Comment

Originally posted by Exarecr View Post
        I don,t want to rain on your parade,but....the fact still remains. Over 90% of North Americans,myself included, would rather watch water evaporate then take in a game of soccer. With the amount of diving and whine it shoulfd be a water sport.
        Oddly enough, to date the largest number of World Cup match tickets sold to a nation outside South Africa is the USA with over 84,000 tickets already

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8397094.stm
        Last edited by redco; 12 Dec 09,, 04:28.

Comment

Originally posted by redco View Post
          Oddly enough, to date the largest number of World Cup match tickets sold to a nation outside South Africa is the USA with over 84,000 tickets already

BBC News - World Cup 2010: More tickets on sale for South Africa
          http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/blog.php?b=7253

Speaking of tickets,

The problem is that FIFA gives every federation with a team in the World Cup a very precisely calculated 9.8 percent of the tickets for each of their matches, meaning that North Korea will receive something over 17,000 ducats for the three preliminary rounds.

But of course North Korea is a country where a good portion of the population literally eats grass and twigs to try and keep from starving to death and, as a result, to quote a typically understated British travel agent, "there is not a great deal of vacation business in North Korea".

He could have added that even if every citizen was suddenly given a free plane ticket to someplace the government wouldn't let them leave anyway, on the not at all irrational theory that they wouldn't come back.

(It should be noted that Kim himself is, of course, PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for the team qualifying in the first place. The head of the DPRK Fed says "The Great Leader gave in-depth guidance on the development of Korean football. He proposed the game's tactics".)

Reportedly Kim will be bringing along 200 or so of his most loyal, fawning, bootlicking, groveling serfs to watch the team play. The balance of the tickets will be sold on the black market where, seeing as how they share a group with Brazil and Portugal, they are expected to fetch a pretty decent price.

This of course will be in direct violation of FIFA bylaws, a fact which FIFA will unquestionably ignore.

To add to the sad irony of all of this, the luck of the draw has England playing in a couple of the smallest venues in the tournament while North Koreea will be in some of the largest. For this reason, the FA will be given roughly 2000 FEWER tickets than North Korea, which has no intention of putting actual North Koreans in those seats.

Something to think about when the TV cameras zoom in on the 200 person Korean cheering section in the stands and implies that they're a representative sample instead of the entire contingent.
          Garber: Luis Figo "Ruined" USA Bid Presentation - Bill Archer Blog - Soccer Blog - BigSoccer

Nice sport and all, I only really care about the U.S. national team to be honest, but can we get rid of the corrupt people that run these organizations? It's an embarassment that these officials in FIFA expect to have their cocks sucked by the heads of governments.
          Last edited by rj1; 19 Dec 09,, 22:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
            Without the "armor" (plastic pads), fully 1/2 of each team would be catastrophically injured each game. It would come to a grinding halt due to lack of players.

There are other "tough-guy" games. Rugby, especially. Aussie-rules football. Hockey, although they too wear protective gear.

It is simply cultural. Far more children play soccer here than football, but on the collegiate and professional level, soccer is simply not as popular as American football.
            Yeah, but after playing both football and rugby I came to the conclusion that the majority of football's injuries occur precisely because they wear padding. The injuries would decline if the padding did.

The best example of this is the helmet to knee injuries you constantly see in the game. Those go away the moment you soften the helmet and take off the face-mask (which I never understood anyway). Nobody will stick their face into a knee then.

If you look at how shoulder pads have grown, it's ridiculous. Is the point protecting the shoulder or giving someone a device to pop people with? It's obviously the latter.

Originally posted by redco View Post

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8397094.stm
            Not odd to me. I reckon a number of those are expatriates who have some change in their pocket. I doubt, in other words, it's Americans.
            Last edited by Countezero; 27 Dec 09,, 00:33.

Comment

Why do you Americans call Football Soccer,isnīt Soccer something you Americans do to your wives on a Saturday night?:P

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                Soccer is a slower, less violent, and warmer version of hockey.
                Or Hockey is association football fixed.

Originally posted by Woodsy the Lar View Post
                Why do you Americans call Football Soccer?
                Crap was already taken. Similar story to golf.

Originally posted by tinymarae View Post

For the record I play soccer at my univ.
                Should have "whiner" under Beckham and "legend" under Emmitt
                F/A-18E/F Super Hornet: The Honda Accord of fighters.

Comment

Working...
                X