• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gyrojet guns?

Apparently, the U.S. experimented with these back in the 1960's:

Gyrojet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Modern Firearms - MBA Gyrojet pistol

Interesting concept. Anyone know anything else about them? I wonder if we could solve the technical problems today with our better technology. Gyrojets seem like they could be useful towards hitting erratically moving targets (provided there's some kind of guidance system) or maybe even hitting targets in slight defilade. Subsonic bullet speeds are also a plus for stealth usage. I'm curious if anyone can think of other possible uses for these things.

Seems cool. I think the first application that could come to mind is Sniper rifles and CIWS systems to give them an even greater range and easier balistic calculation. If the speed of the bullet stays constant that is... It depends wholy on the quality control of each "rocket" and if they stay at a constant speed or acceleration in order for ballistic correction of long range targets to stay accurate.

Comment

I remember when they first came out. As a product actually for sale to the public, & reviewed by the American Rifleman. The guns themselves were very cheap, made of stampings. The projectiles were unheard-of expensive for the time @ ~$2 apiece. Seems to me that a downcheck was that the projectiles took some little time to get up to speed so their effective use at close range was limited. Don't remember the range before which they wouldn't penetrate clothing, but it seems like it was significant. When they got going, however, they were apparently devastating. Don't remember anything about accuracy. Looked horrible.

Remember "trounds?" Guy who invented those things couldn't get them off the ground as a firearms cartridge but apparently he's a squillionaire through selling the idea to the rock-drilling industry.

Prof

Comment

Yep. Just looked at the links above. That's the puppy. 40yd. Doesn't sound good. Informally tested in 'Nam. Weird.

Prof

Comment

Maybe you could use them as long-range, mini-antipersonnel missiles. See someone hiding behind a building, fire the gyrojet at a high angle so it arcs over the building and then starts coming more or less straight down on the area where they are. Terminal guidance and maneuvering thrusters then come in and direct it towards the target.

Comment

Normally, invention of a new type of pistol or ammunition never made the regular TV news programs. That was usually left up to some one-time special on hunting or target shooting.

However, the GyroJet hit the newspapers AND extensive TV coverage (showing demonstrations of the gun, etc.).

The reason? A gun dealer in his store refused to sell one to a customer.

Why? The customer was a Soviet official from the local Consulate. Under diplomatic immunity, normally Embassy or Consolate members would be exempt from restrictions on purchasing firearms. However, this particular dealer refused to sell ANY gun to a communist official from the USSR.
            Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
              Apparently, the U.S. experimented with these back in the 1960's:

Gyrojet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
              Modern Firearms - MBA Gyrojet pistol

Interesting concept. Anyone know anything else about them? I wonder if we could solve the technical problems today with our better technology. Gyrojets seem like they could be useful towards hitting erratically moving targets (provided there's some kind of guidance system) or maybe even hitting targets in slight defilade. Subsonic bullet speeds are also a plus for stealth usage. I'm curious if anyone can think of other possible uses for these things.
              Always check the links at the bottom Proyas. Apparently someone is trying to update the idea. it has the charming name 'deathwind'.

The DeathWind Project
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

The gun doesn't work because initial velocity is too low. Warhead plus propellant makes a heavy round and if the charge is big enough to make the round lethal right out of the muzzle, then you don't need it to rocket boost... However, the science fiction version of that weapon, the Bolter, is a tremendously successful design in the Imperium of Man.
                All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Don't forget, the GyroJet was to be a step forward into developing caseless ammunition. Instead of the case being made of solid propellent that could get broken, the entire projectile was to be case and all.

I thought the design was rather unique especially the exhaust holes being drilled at a slight angle to give the projectile spin (the barrel of the gun was apparently a smooth bore).

I think another attempt at caseless ammo was the Slap Gun. I only saw that in a TV detective show but have been told it was real.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    Always check the links at the bottom Proyas. Apparently someone is trying to update the idea. it has the charming name 'deathwind'.

The DeathWind Project
                    With a name like that it would be banned here even if its bolt action then.

Comment

Gyrojet will be useful in space combat.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                        Gyrojet will be useful in space combat.
                        But the Jem Hadar are too thick skinned and the Klingons pay no attention to the pain.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                          But the Jem Hadar are too thick skinned and the Klingons pay no attention to the pain.
                          Luckily we're more likely to face the Russians and the Chinese.
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                            Luckily we're more likely to face the Russians and the Chinese.
                            Just wait until we discover a wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant right near the Earth.

Comment

Well, if you want a proper gyrojet gun, how about a .75 cal Bolter?

Bolter - Warhammer 40K Wiki - Space Marines, Chaos, planets, and more

Comment

Working...
                              X