Apple Refuses to Fix Smokers' Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
    For now it looks like smokers need to find a computer repair lab that hires smokers, or get a good lawyer and put an end to this.
    Or stop buying gay-ass products from gay-assed companies.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
      How?

-dale
      1) Try as best as you can, whatever is on your cloths makes its way to the outside of the bunny suit. especially when you get the wear the same suit 3-4 days.
      2) even smokers have to breath and the little mask (while it holds onion breath very well, I know from first hand) does allow the finer particles from smoking to come out into the clean room.
      Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
        Or stop buying gay-ass products from gay-assed companies.

-dale
        How do you equate not putting up with smokers residue to being gay?

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
          How do you equate not putting up with smokers residue to being gay?
          So how does an Apple repair shop determine the laptop has been smoked around? do they have trained Apple sniffers?

I notice you side-stepped my question about laptops in use in polluted cities around the world..

smoke residue is a fact of life everywhere. That is what Dale is refering to.

I did not think clean room suits are worn 3-4 days in a row. I am fairly certain they are a one day use.

When we visited AMD's plant in Austin, they gave us disposables.

What about a laptop in use in a truck stop? disqualified from service?
          Last edited by texasjohn; 25 Nov 09,, 00:10.

Comment

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
            So how does an Apple repair shop determine the laptop has been smoked around? do they have trained Apple sniffers?

I notice you side-stepped my question about laptops in use in polluted cities around the world..

I did not think clean room suits are worn 3-4 days in a row. I am fairly certain they are a one day use.

You've mistaken bonehead's point. He's saying smoking affects clean room operations. He never said smoking affects finished computer products.

Take a look at the inside of my computer. There is 3 years worth of dust inside.

Bottom line, Apple is just looking for a way out of its service contract. Either that or Apple is trying to be politically correct. Smokers are easy to bash these days.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Never owned an apple, never will.

As far as im concerned the only people that own apples are graphic designers, marketing types, homosexuals (not that theres anything wrong with it :P ) and corporate wankers.

Ill have my pc thanks, at least i can sit here on my spare time and chainsmoke myself to an early grave without having to worry about my warranty being void.
              The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                You've mistaken bonehead's point. He's saying smoking affects clean room operations. He never said smoking affects finished computer products.

Take a look at the inside of my computer. There is 3 years worth of dust inside.

Bottom line, Apple is just looking for a way out of its service contract. Either that or Apple is trying to be politically correct. Smokers are easy to bash these days.
                I see your point - and bonehead's also. Come to think of it, my garage PC probably needs a "blow j0b" given my sinful lifestyle!!:))
                Last edited by texasjohn; 25 Nov 09,, 05:18.

Comment

I see your point - and bonehead's also. Come to think of it, my garage PC probably needs a "blow j0b" given my sinful lifestyle!!:))
                  Make sure you put saran wrap on the keyboard
                  "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Ok, smoking may or may not be a health hazzard but your wife's ability to zero a .357 magnum certainly is!

Comment

disposables would rarely fly in a low class clean room. You need polyester or gortex. Due to the cost of cleaning and returning them to clean room specs you get to wear them more than one day. Everything is supposed to be clean and if you are sweating in a clean room something is wrong.

I did not bother with your pollution question as the user has little control over that. One can control where they smoke and to a non smoker it is usually pretty obvious if cigarette smoke has been around or not.

Comment

Originally posted by chakos View Post
                        Never owned an apple, never will.

As far as im concerned the only people that own apples are graphic designers, marketing types, homosexuals (not that theres anything wrong with it :P ) and corporate wankers.

Ill have my pc thanks, at least i can sit here on my spare time and chainsmoke myself to an early grave without having to worry about my warranty being void.
                        Lets see:

graphic designer: check

Marketing type: Do a lot of marketing and promotional work so: check

Homosexual: Nope, but work with a few.

Corporate wanker: Certainly manage a team within a corporate environment so: Check

To add a few.
                        Mac user: Check
                        Windows user: check
                        (Mac as workstations/platforms, windows as building LAN comms, both Macs and a Windows PC at home)

and importantly
                        Video & film editor (digital environment): Check

Home environment I don't really care though safari isn't very good at keeping up with the latest flashplayer version etc so use firefox, youtube and suchlike is better on the mac but that's because it's newer and the display and sound is better.
                        Otherwise no difference except for the kids who have a few games that need bootcamp to run on the mac and so introduce a higher crash rate, therefore run them on the windows system, much to their annoyance as they prefer using the mac for asthetic reasons. "it's prettier daddy".

Now most functions within my corporate wanker environment can be and are done with windows pc's, mostly because of historical association for our IT department but personally I couldn't give a toss.

Graphics design is limited in windows environments because the industry standard programmes were written for macs and have functional losses with the windows versions. No biggie though, the software is still functional.
                        3D rendering can be done on windows but none of the best software runs on windows either at all or very well.

Video editing, no comparison. Windows is incapable of handling the large files I use in real time without the use of very expensive limited-run video cards which have serious service and replacement issues, 3 months being the record for my post-production unit. For the price of one high quality video card to run with a windows platform I can buy 3 (count them 3) full mac based production suites that have more capabilities and only a fraction of the crashes associated with the windows related systems. All parts can be replaced within 2 days, most within an hour, and due to redundancy most failures don't effect production times, i.e. the system can continue to run.

As a corporate wanker both cost and functionality/reliability are extremely important to me as I'm accountable to my employer to make good purchase decisions and provide a good return.

The only difficulty I've had in introducing these systems is our IT department trying to prevent their purchase as they can't support them, something I was aware of and had already accounted for by including outside support within the budget.

At the basic home level there isn't really any difference between mac and windows except that macs aren't any fun to strip apart and install different parts in, at the professional level there is no comparison.
                        The reason that corporate wankers such as myself advocate macs is because we're paid to make good decisions and be accountable for those decisions. The fact I'm still employed and valued by my company means I must be doing something right.

So tell me, what is your demographic for windows users?
                        Last edited by Parihaka; 25 Nov 09,, 05:42.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Well im a gamer so a mac doesnt cut it in that category. Very few games are made for Macs so thats a no brainer right there for me.

I also like the fact that i can upgrade my PC as i see fit, you probably can do it with a Mac to some degree but its all black magic to me.

I was brought up using PC, im comfortable with it and furthermore i can play all my call of duty and red alert games on it.

So demographic wise, gamers are the big one, home users are another... PCs completelly dominate home computer use.

Even in the corporate world most people use PC as long as its a data role as opposed to a graphics and video processing role that they are using it for.

Also PC is a LOT cheaper. I can build a monster PC for less than 1500AUD, that doesnt buy you a top of the range Mac or even close to it.
                          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Apple need to put a Health Warning on each Mac..."Smoking can seriously damage your chips"

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post

he had no point, no one is talking about clean rooms, or manufacturing procces.

apple sucks
                              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                                Make sure you put saran wrap on the keyboard
                                Ah, Jeez guys, I really meant a can of compressed air - duster...oh, boy!!

Comment

Working...
                                X