Apple Refuses to Fix Smokers' Computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by texasjohn View Post
    So how does an Apple repair shop determine the laptop has been smoked around? do they have trained Apple sniffers?
    I can crack a PC and easily tell if it has been around a smoker. The sticky tar residue coating every surface is the first tip off.

I quit smoking 26 years ago. I was an asthmatic on meds and one night in a bar I had an epiphany that smoking was the stoopidest thing I could do in my life and that I was a drug addict. So, I quit right then, cold turkey, giving my remaining half of a pack away to someone sitting at the table. I've never smoked again.

I support the smokers' right to light-up whenever and where ever they choose. They can have at it, just so long as they can keep the smoke out of my nostrils, out of my eyes and off of my clothing.

Comment

A PC yes! Hence my reference to the duster can. I do it all the time with my garage PC. A laptop without the strong fans of a desktop- not really.

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
        he had no point, no one is talking about clean rooms, or manufacturing procces.

apple sucks
        The point was that if smoking residue is such a problem in the manufacturing process of chips there is a strong possibility the same smoke is not good for the finished product. If you dunked your computer in the toilet would you expect your computers manufacturer to honor the warranty, or would you expect anyone besides a plumber to be willing to crack it open and try to fix it.
        Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

I'm still actually waiting for some verification of this. So far it's been nothing but 'some other blog reported'. Looks more and more like the usual 'we hate apple' spam from the dedicated windows followers.
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            The point was that if smoking residue is such a problem in the manufacturing process of chips there is a strong possibility the same smoke is not good for the finished product. .
            Nonsense.
            Do you realize, that computer chip has good amount of heat transfer paste, it doesn't seem to harm, it. The chip itself is covered by a heat sink, air that fans pull cool heat sink ,not chip itself. And you telling me some smoke residue will harm the chip???? You are defffinatly smoking something.

Btw, chip failure is not the reason apple refuses to honor the warranty; it has something to do with safety of repear workers, and OSHA regulations.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post
              I support the smokers' right to light-up whenever and where ever they choose. They can have at it, just so long as they can keep the smoke out of my nostrils, out of my eyes and off of my clothing.
              Damn right!

"Smoker's 'rights' "? How about MY right not to have that filth spreading into my lungs and onto my clothes?

4+ years smoke-free and much happier!
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                Damn right!

"Smoker's 'rights' "? How about MY right not to have that filth spreading into my lungs and onto my clothes?

4+ years smoke-free and much happier!
                Here we go - a reformed smoker... these are MUCH worse than the one's that never smoked!! heh!:))

Comment

Here we go - a reformed smoker... these are MUCH worse than the one's that never smoked!! heh!:))
                  Damn right! :)) Because only a reformed smoker knows just how filthy that habit really is!

Funny thing: Whilst a smoker, I hated reformed smokers with a passion: Because I knew damm good and well that they were 100% right and I didn't have a leg to stand on.

BUT! As I neared my dreaded Quit Smoking Day, I was filled with small amount of consolation: I was going to get to be the irritating-as-all-hell reformed smoker for a change!! :))
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Nonsense.
                    Do you realize, that computer chip has good amount of heat transfer paste, it doesn't seem to harm, it. The chip itself is covered by a heat sink, air that fans pull cool heat sink ,not chip itself. And you telling me some smoke residue will harm the chip???? You are defffinatly smoking something.

Btw, chip failure is not the reason apple refuses to honor the warranty; it has something to do with safety of repear workers, and OSHA regulations.
                    There are more things inside the computer other than the chip that can get ruined by the smoke. That shit ruins everything it touches.

Now back to the "real reason" I do not have a problem with others refusing to be assaulted by cig smoke. For that reason alone I would applaud Apple. People really do have a right not to have to deal with cigarette smoke and it is high time smokers are forced to come to grips with this right.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

How do you equate not putting up with smokers residue to being gay?
                      I didn't type "gay", I typed "gay-assed". Generally when I use the word "gay" I am referring to people that stick their pee-pees into other guys' mouths or hiney-holes. Generally when I use the term "gay-assed" I am using schoolboy-level language to cast aspersions on the relative merits and utility of whatever item or practice is being discussed. I admit that sometimes I get lazy and just use "gay" when I should be using "gay-assed", but I never do the reverse.

-dale

Comment

Bah. I'm taking up smoking when I hit 50.

-dale

Comment

A PC yes! Hence my reference to the duster can. I do it all the time with my garage PC. A laptop without the strong fans of a desktop- not really.
                          Laptops have fans, often times as many as 3. I used the term "PC" to describe any "personal computer", regardless of it's ease of mobility.

Nonsense.

It is not only "the chip" that fails. There are any number of parts that can take a dump, fans and power supplies being the primary candidates. Fans are especially vulnerable and when they quit, the subsequent heat build up will affect the processor.

Yes, because we know first hand how ridiculous it is to walk around with a trash fire burning mere inches from your nose. To me, my tolerance of dipping and chewing is the same. Chew tabacco all you want to, just don't spit the residue on me. So far, no one has, so I have no problems sharing a room with a dipper/chewer, but most smokers have no qualms about blowing smoke out their mouths, for me to inhale.

Comment

there are more things inside the computer other than the chip that can get ruined by the smoke. That shit ruins everything it touches.

b.s...
                            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Station 22 View Post
                              It is not only "the chip" that fails. There are any number of parts that can take a dump, fans and power supplies being the primary candidates. Fans are especially vulnerable and when they quit, the subsequent heat build up will affect the processor.
                              b.s..

Comment

dust, that is what clogs fans, and causes overheat.
                                you know what else causes computers to fail, cheap, crappy parts, that manufacturers use more and more. also assembly by ppl that have shit for brain.
                                Last edited by omon; 26 Nov 09,, 00:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X