Conservatives want to close BAOR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatives want to close BAOR

THIS IS NO SURPRISE AS CAMPS ARE BEING CLOSED AND THE LAND BEING USED FOR HOUSING , BUT IS IT A MISTAKE .I FEEL SAFE WITH OUR BACKS BEING WATCHED BY THE FRENCH THO

Britain should withdraw its army from Germany so it can take on "expeditionary roles" elsewhere under a strategic NATO overhaul, the Conservative defence spokesman said in a newspaper interview on Saturday.

Liam Fox told the Daily Telegraph Britain's 25,000-strong military presence on the Rhine "wasn't necessary" any longer now the security threat once posed by the Soviet regime was over.

The Conservatives are currently predicted to win a parliamentary election that has to be held within six months.

The suggested pull-out more than 60 years after World War Two should be part of a fundamental reorganisation of NATO forces to free troops from nations such as Britain and France for operations outside Europe, he said.

Britain currently has 9,000 troops in Afghanistan in a NATO force fighting Taliban insurgents. Germany has some 4,300 soldiers in Afghanistan and France more than 3,000.

But Germany and some European nations, unlike Britain and France, do not allow their troops to mount some operations or operate in the more volatile and dangerous south of Afghanistan.

"We can either hammer on about burden sharing, or we can start looking at what countries will be able to do within their political, constitutional and military constraints," Fox said.

"If other countries are willing to take up roles in continental defence, that leaves Britain and France able to take on expeditionary roles," he said.

The Ministry of Defence said that troop numbers had already been drawn down in Germany "to reflect the changed strategic context" since the end of the Cold War.

Fox was also quoted as warning against giving a timetable for withdrawal in Afghanistan, because it would "tell our allies that we quit if the going gets tough and it says to our enemies that they may be able to outlast us."

The Labour Party declined to comment
    Last edited by tankie; 21 Nov 09,, 20:00.

We don't need forces permanently in Germany any more. Simple as that.

Comment

Thats about the crux of it S/H , i have fond memories of my time there , brill posting in Herford , but where to put the 25.000 people, are the Yanks leaving as well i wonder .
      Last edited by tankie; 21 Nov 09,, 19:26.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
        Thats about the crux of it S/H , i have fond memories of my time there , brill posting in Herford , but where to put the 25.000 people, are the Yanks leaving as well i wonder .
        I think they pared their forces a bit a couple of years ago.

Comment

And probably more in the coming years... no real need for a permanent force there (although Poland?).

Comment

I was a little shocked by the title of this thread.

My first thought was, "It hasn't been disestablished already??"
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

are the Yanks leaving as well i wonder
              I don't see the US closing bases like Rammstein and a few others simply for logistic reasons. Someone else know most likely more about this, but aren't most wounded US Soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan usually brought to Germany as soon as possible to be treated here in the US facilities?

My first thought was, "It hasn't been disestablished already??"
              It was, more or less. It is now known as British Forces Germany afaik (since 94).

And while (to best of my knowledge) there is no big desire here to get rid of the Inselaffen, i don't see a rational reason for them to stay. My mothers family lived through the North Sea flood of 1962 were the RAF is still foundly remembered for its part in the search and rescue operations

Comment

The only reason that there's no desire for them to leave is the contribution to the local economies.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post

It was, more or less. It is now known as British Forces Germany afaik (since 94).
                  I left in 82 Tarek ,T/H , which is why the title was BAOR , and i must admit i enjoyed living and working in your country , best time of my life without doubt ;)
                  Last edited by tankie; 22 Nov 09,, 14:14.

Comment

Im no military expert, but does the BAOR serve any real use any more? I thinkt here would be more concern fromt he local German communites than anyone else, because of the network of businesses and communities which are now so intergrated with the existence of the British there.

Also, this wont happen-its almost certain to be met with traditionalist opposition from within the conservative party itself, because they are, well, conservative. No doubt some bright spark will compare it to handing over the Flaklnds to Argentina or Gibraltar to Spain

Comment

Originally posted by goodbrit View Post
                      Im no military expert, but does the BAOR serve any real use any more?
                      Forest warfare training? Not much else, I'd say. If you wanted a rapid reaction force, you'd be better off using Cyprus.

Comment

I may be stupid, but if some people dont want to get rid fot he bases totally, cant they be `rented` out to the Americans.....or even the Germans, but remain ultimately British for such a time that they may be needed.

The bases without the bill

Comment

Originally posted by goodbrit View Post
                          I may be stupid, but if some people dont want to get rid fot he bases totally, cant they be `rented` out to the Americans.....or even the Germans, but remain ultimately British for such a time that they may be needed.

The bases without the bill
                          You mean like Diego Garcia?

Does UK really need a large footprint in Germany? Are there still combat troops? Or just logistics?
                          "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

yes, like Diego Garcia. My only real reason to think `lets keep it`, is because of the resurgent Russia, the general logistics, and the fact that a lot of these bases are sustaining substantial populations of German communities and businesses, and i just think it would be rather damaging to see the economic life blood of a community-the bases-close down

Comment

Working...
                            X