X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM-25 advanced grenade launcher nearing mass production

Weapons: XM-25 Is Readied For Prime Time
    Army Testing XM-25 'Smart' Weapon
    Sorry, this is the best video I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wodnc-_ilA

Last week I read an Army study someplace that said we had pretty much maxed out the potential of firearms, and that improvements could only be made at the margins from here on out. Even perfecting caseless ammo would only give you so much of an advantage over a guy with an AK-47. The study went on to say that sabot ammo was worth developing, but that big improvements to guns would only come if we could perfect timed explosive rounds, which the XM-25 shoots.

I think it's a mistake to say that firearms today are totally maxed out. I mean there will always be something around the corner that takes us by surprise and totally changes the way we look at today's firearms. Whether that be lasers, railguns, I have no clue but I'm sure it will be around the corner one day.

Comment

Lasers and railguns aren't firearms because they don't propel projectiles with combusted propellants.

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
        Lasers and railguns aren't firearms because they don't propel projectiles with combusted propellants.
        Eh, you know what I mean. It's hard giving out examples for what the new innovations might be, because if I knew it we wouldn't be having this conversation. But technology of firearms will continue to innovate and develop. Stuff like the Kriss SMG is an example of this sort of innovation.

Comment

I think the term you're looking for is "small arms."

The Kriss looks pretty cool (watched YouTube vid), but the problem is, at any given time, there are tons of little gun companies and inventors peddling all sorts of seemingly innovative guns, but once the military actually gets down to seriously testing them, most of the time there's some problem (can't be manufactured cheaply enough, innovative feature comes at the expense of some other feature), and the new design is rejected. The new weapon might even be better than the current weapon used by the military, but the difference is not big enough to warrant a mass replacement.

Sure, I can see how gun technology could be tweaked to make improvements at the margins, but we're not going to see the same breakthroughs in firearms design that we did during the 20th century.

Comment

Originally posted by Proyas View Post
            Weapons: XM-25 Is Readied For Prime Time
            Army Testing XM-25 'Smart' Weapon
            Sorry, this is the best video I could find: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wodnc-_ilA

Last week I read an Army study someplace that said we had pretty much maxed out the potential of firearms, and that improvements could only be made at the margins from here on out. Even perfecting caseless ammo would only give you so much of an advantage over a guy with an AK-47. The study went on to say that sabot ammo was worth developing, but that big improvements to guns would only come if we could perfect timed explosive rounds, which the XM-25 shoots.
            Caseless ammo is not so far away. Polymer cased ammo with really reduced weight is already being tested and working from what I understand. There are recoil impulse-balancing systems out there (AN-94, AK-107/108).

Only so much advantage over a guy with an AKM? I mean, I guess it all depends on expectations. We already have a decent advantage over the guy with the AK in terms of accuracy. Caseless ammo would increase accuracy, lethality, maintainability, everything. There is still plenty to squeeze out of firearms. There are new calibers being perfected. So what's your rubric. What does a small arm have to be able to do that it currently cannot in your opinion?

Not to mention I never liked the idea of giving everyone explosive rounds. Think of the expense. Think of the lethality, you might tell me. But you won't need that capability with the fused mid-air exploding ammo half of the time. And you stand to potentially create some havoc with so many guys with explosive rounds running about. There is a reason every rifleman is not a grenadier.
            In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
            The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Working...
            X