Cambrai Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cambrai Day

To all the tankies and tankers out there , Happy Cambrai day . SALUTE .:) I dont know how other tankies celebrate , but RTR were 1st woken up with gunfire ,that includes the senior ranks waking up the junior ranks with tea and rum , then they serve on the junior ranks all day , sports are included , officers v the men etc etc , followed by an all ranks ball , its a day of celebration where by no offences are taken and no charges are brought , anything goes , food fights are for real , a great day .

For the 1918 battle, see Battle of Cambrai (1918).WIKI .

The Battle of Cambrai (20 November - 3 December, 1917) was a British campaign of the First World War. Noted for the first successful use of tanks in a combined arms operation, the British attack demonstrated that the Hindenburg Line could be penetrated, while the German counter attack showed the value of new infantry tactics that would later be part of the Kaiserschlacht. Liddell Hart called the battle "one of the landmarks in the history of warfare, the dawn of a new epoch."[1]

Cambrai is a French town in the Nord département (Nord-Pas-de-Calais). In 1917 it was a key supply point for the German Siegfried Stellung (part of the Hindenburg Line), and the nearby Bourlon Ridge would be an excellent gain from which to threaten the rear of the German line to the north.
    Last edited by tankie; 20 Nov 09,, 13:26.

Tankie

Have a good one!

PS: Check out the Bribes post...some jerk wrote something uncomplimentary abotu you!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Happy Cambrai Day :)

Indian Army's Poona Horse has it one of its battle honours IIRC
      When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
        Have a good one!

PS: Check out the Bribes post...some jerk wrote something uncomplimentary abotu you!
        Wilco Buck , wait out .

Edit

Oh veryyyyyyyyyyyy droll ,:P
        Last edited by tankie; 20 Nov 09,, 16:55.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
          Wilco Buck , wait out .

Edit

Oh veryyyyyyyyyyyy droll ,:P
          ;)
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            ;)
            Double whammy huh , just wait ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
              Happy Cambrai Day :)

Indian Army's Poona Horse has it one of its battle honours IIRC
              They have indeed, and a great Honour it is for all.

The Poona Horse (17th Queen Victoria's Own) was a regular British Indian Army Cavalry regiment. It was formed from the 3rd Regiment of Bombay Light Cavalry, raised in 1820, and the Poona Auxiliary Horse, raised about 1817-18. The latter unit was absorbed into the regular forces about 1860 and the two regiments later became the 33rd Queen Victoria's Own Light Cavalry and the 34th Prince Albert Victor's Own Poona Horse. These were amalgamated in 1921 into the present regiment, the battle honours of which tell of service in three Afghan Wars, in Persia, Abyssinia and China, as well as in the Great War. Previously it was a cavalry regiment and now it is upgraded as a mechanized regiment. Battle Honours incude:

World War I
              First Battle of Ypres-1914
              Battle of Givenchy
              Battle of La Basse-1914
              Battle of Armentiers-1914
              Battle of the Somme-1916
              Battle of Flers-Courselette-1916
              Battle of Cambrai-1917
              Battle of Shaiba
              Battle of Ctesiphon
              Capture of Damascus
              Third Afghan War

World War II
              First Battle of El Alamein

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                They have indeed, and a great Honour it is for all.
                Indeed sir, and a Happy Cambrai day to you :)
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

I would just like to point out that the sgt´s mess would never have beaten the Troopers at football If they hadn´t hancuffed me to the railings at the side of the stadium.:P

Comment

Happy Cambrai Day to all Tankies/Tankers out there!
                    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southie View Post
                      Happy Cambrai Day to all Tankies/Tankers out there!
                      Cheers Southie , albeit a tad late ;)

Comment

Cheers Southie , albeit a tad late ;)
                        Well how do you like that! Then a Happy Belated Cambrai Day for back in November! Oops!

I could have just deleted the post like it was never written!
                        “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
                        sigpic

Comment

Well how do you like that! Then a Happy Belated Cambrai Day for back in November! Oops!

I could have just deleted the post like it was never written!
                          Yea , but it would have shown up in my inbox

Comment

Yea , but it would have shown up in my inbox
                            Well we could have kept my goof between us couldn't we? Hey...the thought was there...just a little err...a lot late!
                            sigpic

Comment

Well we could have kept my goof between us couldn't we? Hey...the thought was there...just a little err...a lot late!
                              Let's keep it to ourselves:))

Comment

Working...
                              X