Offer of a mosin Nagat M-44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offer of a mosin Nagat M-44

I have recently been offered the opertunity to buy a M-44 from an associate/aquintence for right at $100 looking at prices on the internet this seems to be about the typical price from a used on is decent condition. This one does have a fairly nice solid wood stock, the finish looks ok but haven't broken it down internally or really looked at the rifling.

I have also from others heard that is can be a bear of a carbine to shoot from a recoil standpoint, and is not inexpensive with its 7.62 x 54. Does anyone have any opinions or experiance with this gun and if so what are the feelings on it. I've pretty much got till tuesday to make up my mind before he puts it onto the internet/and consigns it to our local gunshop.

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
    I have recently been offered the opertunity to buy a M-44 from an associate/aquintence for right at $100 looking at prices on the internet this seems to be about the typical price from a used on is decent condition. This one does have a fairly nice solid wood stock, the finish looks ok but haven't broken it down internally or really looked at the rifling.

I have also from others heard that is can be a bear of a carbine to shoot from a recoil standpoint, and is not inexpensive with its 7.62 x 54. Does anyone have any opinions or experiance with this gun and if so what are the feelings on it. I've pretty much got till tuesday to make up my mind before he puts it onto the internet/and consigns it to our local gunshop.
    Maxor:

The price sounds a little on the high side for down here, although maybe supplies are dwindling. I bought an M44 in 2005 for $49, although it was pretty ratty looking. Much worse than yours, sounds like.

The folding bayonet has its pros & cons. Seemed an excessive & very permanent addition at first, but the extra weight forward helped to control recoil & muzzle lift some, which is stout in those little carbines. Naturally it didn't do anything about muzzle blast, which is, uh, impressive. The guy I subsequently gave it to calls it his "camping rifle" because he can use the bayo to toast weenies & marshmallows. I don't know if he actually does that, but it started seeming like a kinda cool undocumented enhancement after he said that.

I bought an M-38 (same-same without the bayonet) the next year. That one's a keeper; newly arsenal refurbished with a laminated stock & lots of accessory goodies. It only cost $59. The first I picked up out of a miscellaneous stuff barrel in a local gun store & had to whine & carry on to get them to replace the missing cleaning rod. The second I ordered through an ad in Shotgun News.

Apart from being noisy flinch-inducers they're good, sturdy little rifles.

Prof

Comment

Maxor:

Oh. Price. You can get slightly corrosive :( surplus 7.62x54R FMJs for practice in bulk from Sportman's Guide & Cheaper'nDirt catalogues for much less than retail, especially than retail softnose hunting rounds. On the other hand, all the MNs are super easy to clean :). Cabela's also has some good prices, & a flat huge selection of everything you're liable to be shooting. In addition, the first two offer chamber inserts for the MN allowing the use of .32acp (which is actually ~31 caliber, like the 7.62) as a single shot, .32s are less expensive than other centerfire cartridges, & the hardballs make good squirrel food.

Prof

Comment

It's a loud, LOUD weapon to fire thanks to the full-powered rifle round and the shorter barrel. Recoil is strong but not unmanageable. What it lacks in accuracy it makes up in handiness compared to the M91/30. Unless you plan on using it, the folding spike bayonet is useless and tends to slightly unbalance the weapon.

As for the other traits, they're the same as the M91/30. Cheap, even cheaper ammo, but at the cost of unnecessarily complicated design when it comes to the bolt and magazine, while the front post sight is kinda pathetic. Overall, a good rifle for $100, but I wouldn't pay more than that for one.

Basically, there is a high rate of lemons with this rifle, so inspect it before you buy. Be sure to check the rifle for headspacing and the rifling, as a lot of these weapons come with mismatched bolts (some will still work, others won't) and who knows what the condition of the rifling is with all of the corrosive ammo that's been shot through it for 70 years. Also check the magazine, as a lot of Mosin-Nagants I've handled and owned do not even have functioning magazines.
        Last edited by leib10; 14 Nov 09,, 20:41.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by leib10 View Post
          Basically, there is a high rate of lemons with this rifle, so inspect it before you buy. Be sure to check the rifle for headspacing and the rifling, as a lot of these weapons come with mismatched bolts (some will still work, others won't) and who knows what the condition of the rifling is with all of the corrosive ammo that's been shot through it for 70 years. Also check the magazine, as a lot of Mosin-Nagants I've handled and owned do not even have functioning magazines.
          Ditto on that, my 91/30 came with a nice barrel, but the magazine stopped functioning after 15 rounds. I still like this gun though, it does what its supposed to, but I wouldn't pay more $80 to be quite honest. For $100, it better be in some real decent shape.
          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Will take another look at it and try to talk them down a bit. Will also see if I can't get it broken down and looked at before purchase. I'm not good enough as a shooter or gunsmith to tell on my own a gun that has had 250 rounds through it from one that has had 10,000. (minor exageration) If the wood and metal finish are nice and the gun has been cleaned. I also am by no means familiar enough with the weapon to know inital land and groove depth or spring tension or even trigger pull. The second problem is that with the gun in question I have pretty much had the opertunity to take it off the shelf hold it for about a minute open the bolt and glance down the barrel in moderately decent lighting. pretty much my overall knowledge of the gun in question is hum nice stock compared with the other two or 3 I've seen in passing at gunshows, and the finish of the metal doesn't look beaten up.

Comment

I've never had a bit of trouble with either of mine. Well, except that my M44 looked like hammered dogshit. I've also never run across the sort of chronic complaints mentioned above. Not to say that they aren't out there but that I've just never run across them in the periodicals, at shops or at shows.

I have heard that the bore diameter varies in local manufacture from .308-.311, resulting in variation in accuracy. Another thing I've heard, which might speak some to reliability. The thing (91, 38 & 44, inclusive) has been described as the most "soldier-proof" military rifle ever made.

I like my very noisy, hard-kicking little M38. I just wish that the aperture sight available didn't mount so far forward. An "express" peep sight sort of defeats its own purpose. With the scope that's on it now I would hesitate to take it canoing with me, which was the original reason I bought the thing. Maybe a red dot. But they look lousy, too. Oh. And that safety. Weird idea. Exercise equipment. Designed to build upper body strength. Don't fiddle with it if you have wet or greasy hands unless you've got the "Judo" down.

Prof

Comment

All Nagants I've shot were never easy to close the bolt. From my brother's comparatively high-quality Tsarist rifle up through my 91/30 and M44, they all seemed that way. It doesn't seem to matter if using brass or steel cartridges.

The M44 does let loose a good bit of flame from the muzzle. Overall it's a tamer version of the Enfield No 5 (Jungle Carbine).

I'll stick to my Trapdoors...

ZF-

Comment

My Russian m44 is the most accurate mosin that I have. I've owned more accurate ones - specifically Finnish mosins.

Mine absolutely loves the 200 grain Wolf soft points.

They are a blast (literally!) to shoot - yes, loud, but a lot of fun.

I would recommend that you ask to shoot it before purchasing - just to check function. Sometimes they have issues that you can't see or determine until you chamber a round.

IMHO, $100 is very fair for a good functioning m44 - the days of the $49 m44's in VG condition are way over. You can get 91/30's for $70-80 still if you have a C&R and can have them shipped right to you - still comes out to $100 though... example: Aim Surplus $79

As for ammo - AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors $150 for 300 rounds Yugo delivered

I've done business with both with no regrets.
                  Don't just sit there, do something!

Comment

Originally posted by OSOK View Post
                    My Russian m44 is the most accurate mosin that I have. I've owned more accurate ones - specifically Finnish mosins.

Mine absolutely loves the 200 grain Wolf soft points.

They are a blast (literally!) to shoot - yes, loud, but a lot of fun.

I would recommend that you ask to shoot it before purchasing - just to check function. Sometimes they have issues that you can't see or determine until you chamber a round.

IMHO, $100 is very fair for a good functioning m44 - the days of the $49 m44's in VG condition are way over. You can get 91/30's for $70-80 still if you have a C&R and can have them shipped right to you - still comes out to $100 though... example: Aim Surplus $79

As for ammo - AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors $150 for 300 rounds Yugo delivered

I've done business with both with no regrets.
                    Good info.

prof

Comment

what i want to know is a better way to get the rings off the gun to take it apart in a way that doesnt shave wood off. i have to use a hammer or else i cant get it and if i do it softly it eather doesnt come off or just shaves off the wood anyway

Comment

Ended up not buying it, there were th more I looked at it the more little thins I didn't like about it's condition, nothing unsafe but it wasn't numbers matched, the barrel bedding was kinda ugly on close inspection, and the trigger pull was rather gritty feeling. He consigned it to a local shop where they as nearly as I can tell did no work and are asking $165 it has been sitting on their shelf for almost 2 months now. If its still there in march I am going to go in and offer them $90 for that and see what they counter offer with.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                          Ended up not buying it, there were th more I looked at it the more little thins I didn't like about it's condition, nothing unsafe but it wasn't numbers matched, the barrel bedding was kinda ugly on close inspection, and the trigger pull was rather gritty feeling. He consigned it to a local shop where they as nearly as I can tell did no work and are asking $165 it has been sitting on their shelf for almost 2 months now. If its still there in march I am going to go in and offer them $90 for that and see what they counter offer with.
                          Hah! Unless that counter-offer is $90, just wait it out until you can get a different one.
                          In Iran people belive pepsi stands for pay each penny save israel. -urmomma158
                          The Russian Navy is still a threat, but only to those unlucky enough to be Russian sailors.-highsea

Comment

Will take it if they say 100 actually, but no higher. That way I get a free gun lock and cleaning kit as well as it being looked over by a halfway competant armouror.

Comment

Working...
                            X