Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any interest in a WAB ACW staff ride in the spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Yup, I heard you and 7th talking about it. The wife hates history, its not alive for her the way it is for us. So I haven't been but I want to.

I have been to Antietam, Fredricksburg, Little Bighorn and Vicksburg for battlefields. Ft Casey, Sand Point naval base and Ft Laramie for historic forts. Visited the Armor and Cavalry Museum, Ft Hood Museum, Ft Lewis Museum, Aberdeen proving Grounds for the official museums. I've also visited the Patton Museum, and a private military vehicle museum in IIRC South Dakota.

Also visited- McCord AFB, Little Rock Air Force base, Bremerton Naval Shipyards. Whibey Island naval Air Station,Hill AFB and Mountain Home AFB.

Duty assignments- Lewis (and Yakima TC), Hood, Polk, and Knox with 2 NTC rotations to Ft. Irwin.
    And i bet you reveled in it as well Z , they make for great excursions .:)

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Arent they ?? wow our history books need updating a bit ,,

Yes Mjr , i was only curious by asking if you had been to some real battlefields ,,, incomingggggggg grape shot methinks , oh yes was the little big horn also part of the US civil war ;):))
      Without the ACW it could not have happened. The ACW propelled Custer into history

The Little Bighorn is also a eerie battlefield. If you stand at the mass grave which is also the site of the last stand and look down the hill you see a trail of white markers that say US Soldier fell here. This makes it incredibly easy for the minds eye to reconstruct the fight as the remnants of Custer's group staged a fighting retreat up the side of the hill slowly but steadily losing men until they simply stop close ranks and died.
      Last edited by zraver; 24 Nov 09,, 15:32.

Comment

Arent they ?? wow our history books need updating a bit ,,

Yes Mjr , i was only curious by asking if you had been to some real battlefields ,,, incomingggggggg grape shot methinks , oh yes was the little big horn also part of the US civil war ;):))
        No, but Saratoga, Cowpens and Yorktown were real battlefields!
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

And i bet you reveled in it as well Z , they make for great excursions .:)
          You bet I did. I took the ex-wife to Ft Casey, I was standing on the ramparts looking out over the straits of Juan de Fuca and saw the mightiest weapon ever constructed headed out to sea- an Ohio class SSBN- ooh ahh!

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
            No, but Saratoga, Cowpens and Yorktown were real battlefields!
            Yorktown ?? never heard of it , which battle was that then , parlez vous frog

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
              You bet I did. I took the ex-wife to Ft Casey, I was standing on the ramparts looking out over the straits of Juan de Fuca and saw the mightiest weapon ever constructed headed out to sea- an Ohio class SSBN- ooh ahh!
              Got any pics ;)

Comment

Got any pics ;)
                You want pics of Zraver's Ex wife?!?!?!?
                Mark Twain

Comment

Cedar Creek

Excellent choice, JAD. A greatly preserved battlefield. And I can not remember ot save my life but I believe I know the LTC you are referring to. I met him a year ago on a tour...he teaches in the local high school/CC I believe and wrote a very nice narrative study of the battle.

It is one of my favorite battlfields because my name sake unit fought well there and was on the extreme left flank of the infantry of the VIth Corps. The 43rd New York Infantry tied in with the cavalry and had their left flank on the Valley Pike coming off of Cemetary Hill.
                  Mark Twain

Comment

You want pics of Zraver's Ex wife?!?!?!?

Only if theres no pics of the ship :))
                    Last edited by tankie; 24 Nov 09,, 20:19.

Comment

Only if theres no pics of the ship :))
                      Nope no camera.

Comment

Excellent choice, JAD. A greatly preserved battlefield. And I can not remember ot save my life but I believe I know the LTC you are referring to. I met him a year ago on a tour...he teaches in the local high school/CC I believe and wrote a very nice narrative study of the battle.

It is one of my favorite battlfields because my name sake unit fought well there and was on the extreme left flank of the infantry of the VIth Corps. The 43rd New York Infantry tied in with the cavalry and had their left flank on the Valley Pike coming off of Cemetary Hill.
                        He does teach or did at James Mason I believe. Initials WP. Ring a bell? Haven't spoken to him for a year. But I may be thinking of someone else. I read an excellent account of the battle by a local, but can't recall his name.

There was a reenactment in Oct.

Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation
                        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                          He does teach or did at James Mason I believe. Initials WP. Ring a bell? Haven't spoken to him for a year. But I may be thinking of someone else. I read an excellent account of the battle by a local, but can't recall his name.

There was a reenactment in Oct.

Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation

That is my favorite reenactment to go to. I love that they conduct it on the actual battlefiled. Nothing like seeing 10,000 Reenactors!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

My wife actually suggested we do a week long stay and tour of Civil war sites next fall(to humid in them their parts in the summer). We both find it way cool,sweet,sick or whatever when one has the opportunity to walk on the site and footsteps of any historical battlefield. Gettysburgh was to me the" battle that defeated the Southern cause",and thus, the place I most want to tour. So many important actions took place in such a relatively small area it,s got to be the best and least tiresome site to walk over. We are 75% sure we will be there this fall,and should know for sure around May.

Comment

Here's a potential itinerary that will get you through the major Eastern battles and have you end up in the Shenandoah. If you time it right, you can enjoy the full fall foilage colors, which I believe occurs in late October down in the Shenandoah.

Day 1 - Gettysburg
                              Day 2 - Antietam
                              Day 3 - Fredericksburg/Chancelorsville
                              Day 4 - Wilderness/Spotsylvania
                              Day 5 - North Anna/Cold Harbor
                              Day 6 - Petersburg/Appomattox
                              Day 7 - Shenandoah Valley
                              "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Shek could work for the Commonwealth of Virginia's Department of Tourism!

My one exception to his list? If you push it a bit, you could combine The Overland Campaign into a single day. That would give you 2 days in the Petersburg area...it takes that to cover all the battlefields and to do a visit to Pamplin Historical Park. Pamplin Park You MUST visit there...it is well worth the trip. You could get to Appomattox by late afternoon and then head to Lexington in the Valley for a late supper. Wake up and work your way down the Valley, finishing at Winchester.

PS: After Antietam, head over to Harpers Ferry.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X