The importance of Roman roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zraver View Post
    Yup and your ealrier insight got Tetoburger added.

This is where I think we take different takes. You seem to argue that where the roads aren't, Rome loses for lack of supply. I am saying that at least for Varus, the legions did not know they were in hostile territory and so where building the roads to support themselves and were attacked, probably with a good many men out of armor and working with axe and spade.
    LOC had a slightly different meaning back than.The paths aren't build for the fun of it.They're build for the wagons.The supply train is the lifeline of an ancient army.So no roads=no supply train,no fortified outposts at regular intervals,no easy arrival of reinforcements,difficult communications.In that sense the road is the lifeline of the ancient army.
    I gave the comparative example of Caecina in the attempt to prove that even a combat ready army(not a surprised bunch of woodcutters and diggers) had enormous difficulties moving outside the road network(notice that he follows a known path,but still needs to build his own in absence of a paved road).It's a more detailed description of a battle that resembles Teutoberg(same combatants,same TO,difficult terrain).

I would counsel against making that type of an assumption. soft spined armies don't overrun good portions of the known world. The Roman soldier proved himself time and again.
    The description shows how and when a Roman army could break.Doesn't take away their merits.

What about the other 2-3 legions and aux troops they had to get through first? It sounds more like Germans got gold fever and it clouded their judgement. Arminius was not just a German, but a Roman Equite. He had spent considerable time among the Romans and knew that fighting them on a feild of thier picking, on their terms would be a disaster. The other chiefs probalby only had the experience of Tetoburger Wald and smaller skirmishes.

Like you said,we don't really know what happened at Teutoburger Wald.But I think a lot can be guessed by looking at the circumstances and behaviour of the German chiefs in the battle against Caecina.They had put the legions in a difficult position,they saw panic,they've captured some wagons and after all these they expected light resistance( like you said they probably experienced only Teutoburg).Arminius obviously knew better.
    Those who know don't speak
    He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Working...
    X