NATO vs. Warsaw Pact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
    Germany tried two times. Prussian three times, IIRC. Napoleon one time. British and French in Crimea War. Americans in Bolshevik White War. That's on the top of my head.
    Does the Mongol invasion qualify?
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
      Does the Mongol invasion qualify?
      The Viking invasion created the Rus which lead to Russia. From that point off the top of my head

Mongol, Lithuania, Poland, Sweden, Tuetonic Knights, Germany, France, England, US, Japan, Italy, Hungary, Romania, Austria, Ottoman Turkey have all invaded. But Russia has invaded others well over 100 times.

Comment

• The early history of the Vikings in Russia is extremely unclear. The only thing we know is that Prince Yurik of the House of Rus went to the land of the Slavs and was made a king, either by conquest or invitation as claimed by the only surviving Russian chronicle of this era.
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

• Rus = Ros .
          In Estonian language Sweden is still ´Rootsi´, swedes ´rootslased´
          . Russia is ´Venemaa´ =´Land of Veneti´. Veneti being a slavic tribe from today´s Poland. Which is remarkable - the first name/contact from slavic people comes from west, and only later , when they arrived in to today´s northern russia, the same name got transferred to todays russians.

Just off-topic post actually .... :)
          If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• I wrote a blog post today commenting on the Hackett scenario.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill View Post
              In 1973 it's really tough for NATO. The A-10 is not yet in service, the best US tank is the M-60A1, TOW is a brand new untested weapon, all US troops have at best the mediocre M-16A1, and the Russians have the T-72 in mass production.

Change the date to 1983, and the opposite is true. The M-1 is in mass production, the A-10 fleet is at it's largest ever in USAF service, the F-15, F-14, F-18, and F-16 are in sqn. service, the USN has TLAM, Harpoon, the Iowa Class BBs,it's four pre VLS Ticonderoga class Aegis guided missile destroyers, the NTU Kidd DDGs, and the LA 688 boats in fleet service.

What a difference a decade makes.
              what about 1989-1990 scenario ?
              esp in the naval arena and in air combat ?

Comment

• Originally posted by nastle View Post
                what about 1989-1990 scenario ?
                esp in the naval arena and in air combat ?

It had gone completely pear shaped for the WP by 89. The US and it allies had completed a badly needed modernization cycle that had completely transformed its abilities. It was now a day/night any weather force. The Soviets had some Mig-29's and Su-27's but the allies had Eagles, Tomcats and Tornados. At sea the combined allied naval might dwarfed the Soviets on the surface and under it except in coastal waters Soviets SSN's were a generation or more behind in both noise reduction and sonar capability. The US also had the F-117, the ACM-129 was in service and the B-2 was about to be online.

Comment

Working...
                X