Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Karzai's rival withdraws from Afghan runoff

  1. #1
    Regular oliveryty's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Oct 09
    Location
    linyi, shandong, china
    Posts
    29

    Karzai's rival withdraws from Afghan runoff

    Afghan presidential candidate Abdullah Abdullah said Monday that he was withdrawing from an election runoff because the demands he made for a fair vote had not been met by the government and election officials, according to Reuters.
    "I will not take part in the election. ... I have not come to this decision easily," Abdullah told supporters in Kabul, adding that he was not telling anyone to boycott the November 7 polling.
    A spokesman for President Hamid Karzai said that the president regrets Abdullah's withdrawal but the election should still take place.
    "We believe that the election has to go on; the process must complete itself," Karzai's chief campaign spokesman, Waheed Omar, told Al-Jazeera television. "The people of Afghanistan have to be given the right to vote."
    However, the Independent Election Commission (IEC) later said that the presidential run-off will take place as scheduled.
    "The deadline to withdraw has passed, therefore the commission is determined to conduct a runoff election," IEC Chief Electoral Officer Daoud Ali Najafi told reporters.
    Pressure had been growing on Abdullah to pull out of the contest against Karzai, seen by analysts as the favorite to win the runoff after getting the most votes in the fraud-marred first round August 20.

    While behind-the-scenes diplomatic moves to resolve the deadlock intensified over the past week, one Western diplomatic source said talks between Karzai and Abdullah had broken down.
    "Abdullah has realized how painful a second round will be for the country. The issue for Abdullah now is how he withdraws: by saving face gracefully or boycotting the runoff," a Western official in Kabul, who asked not to be identified, told Reuters.
    Analysts and diplomats have said that withdrawing from the contest, perhaps as part of a power-sharing deal in return for a top government post in Karzai's next administration, would spare the country further political pain and insurgent violence.
    Later Monday, UN Special Representative to Afghanistan Kai Eide commented that the UN wants a "legal and timely" conclusion to the poll.
    "This is clearly a decision he has taken after a long period of discussion and reflection," Eide said. "The next step must be to bring this electoral process to a conclusion in a legal and timely manner."
    British Prime Minister Gordon Brown then urged Abdullah to support the democratic process in Afghanistan.
    "This decision was clearly carefully considered, and I welcome Abdullah's readiness to play a continued role in the national dialogue," Brown said. "I am confident that Afghanistan's leaders will support the remaining steps of the democratic process."
    The Taliban, however, threatened again Monday to carry out more attacks if the presidential runoff continues.
    "We will not allow the second round to pass peacefully," Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi told AFP by phone. "We will increase our attacks on the election process, and we will ensure the election is a failure."

    ===========

    Ballot or bullet... Will Abdullah take up arms against Karzai?
    http://forum.globaltimes.cn

  2. #2
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    15 Oct 09
    Posts
    185
    Good to see the American invasion wasn't all for nothing, they made Afghanistan into such a democratic state! An election with 1 candidate! Can't be better...

  3. #3
    Senior Contributor Rumrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jul 09
    Location
    New York, NY - Da Heights
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    Good to see the American invasion wasn't all for nothing, they made Afghanistan into such a democratic state! An election with 1 candidate! Can't be better...
    Hah, tough talk from a guy who's country had an election so clearly fradulent it would make players on the 1919 Black Sox blush, then gassed, beat, censored and murdered its own people who dissented.

    One can only hope Karzai keeps to his new pledge for cracking down on the rampant corruption in his administration. Otherwise rocky(er) roads lie ahead.
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

  4. #4
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    15 Oct 09
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    Hah, tough talk from a guy who's country had an election so clearly fradulent it would make players on the 1919 Black Sox blush, then gassed, beat, censored and murdered its own people who dissented.

    One can only hope Karzai keeps to his new pledge for cracking down on the rampant corruption in his administration. Otherwise rocky(er) roads lie ahead.
    The losers claimed they were cheated than called for a public uprising but failed to get support.

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor Rumrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    15 Jul 09
    Location
    New York, NY - Da Heights
    Posts
    971
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    The losers claimed they were cheated than called for a public uprising but failed to get support.
    They were cheated, and say what you want about biased western media coverage, there were hundreds and thousands of demonstrators staging mass protests for some time. That is of course, until the armed forces and roving gangs of violent thugs started shooting and savagely beating people on the street and in jail.

    Nothing like extreme violence and threats of death to help people see that your candidate is best! Best of luck with A-Jad! Those who support him deserve everything they get
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

  6. #6
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    15 Oct 09
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    They were cheated, and say what you want about biased western media coverage, there were hundreds and thousands of demonstrators staging mass protests for some time. That is of course, until the armed forces and roving gangs of violent thugs started shooting and savagely beating people on the street and in jail.

    Nothing like extreme violence and threats of death to help people see that your candidate is best! Best of luck with A-Jad! Those who support him deserve everything they get
    100,000-800,000 people demonstrated the first few days in Tehran, a city of 14,000,000, while the rest of the country (Iran has 72 milion citizens) stayed (almost) completely quiet.
    As for the repression, well to make a demonstration, you have to have government permission, also in western countries, thus these demonstrations were illegal and attacked by the police.
    And casualties were quite low compared to the amounths of civilians being killed in Karzai's "democratic" Afghanistan.

    There were many pre-election opinion polls which showed Ahmadinejad winning with such result, including the only nationwide poll. Also, in the last election, Ahmadinejad won with a similar result.

    The reason why most Westerners think the elections were rigged was the way that the media portrayed it. They went soley to rich areas in Tehran, interviewing only young people, mostly very westernised for Iranian standards and portayed that as "the Iranian people's opinion". They did not however go to any of the poorer and more religious areas, other cities or the tens of thousands of villages over the nation, now people think the majority of the Iranians supported him.

  7. #7
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Jul 09
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    100,000-800,000 people demonstrated the first few days in Tehran, a city of 14,000,000, while the rest of the country (Iran has 72 milion citizens) stayed (almost) completely quiet.
    As for the repression, well to make a demonstration, you have to have government permission, also in western countries, thus these demonstrations were illegal and attacked by the police.
    And casualties were quite low compared to the amounths of civilians being killed in Karzai's "democratic" Afghanistan.

    There were many pre-election opinion polls which showed Ahmadinejad winning with such result, including the only nationwide poll. Also, in the last election, Ahmadinejad won with a similar result.

    The reason why most Westerners think the elections were rigged was the way that the media portrayed it. They went soley to rich areas in Tehran, interviewing only young people, mostly very westernised for Iranian standards and portayed that as "the Iranian people's opinion". They did not however go to any of the poorer and more religious areas, other cities or the tens of thousands of villages over the nation, now people think the majority of the Iranians supported him.
    Don't insult our intelligence. There is a difference between maintaining law & order and stealing elections. Your favorite regime did not allow westerners to go anywhere. There was a general crackdown on western news organization. Assuming that A-Jad did have the support that you claim, we would have known the results based on free & fair elections but your mullahs suppressed the vote. All we got was cooked up results.

    So I am really curious why do you support such a regime that has no intention of deriving legitimacy from the Iranian people. Does the Iranian nation exist to serve the mullahs or the people?

  8. #8
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    15 Oct 09
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by pChan View Post
    Don't insult our intelligence. There is a difference between maintaining law & order and stealing elections. Your favorite regime did not allow westerners to go anywhere. There was a general crackdown on western news organization. Assuming that A-Jad did have the support that you claim, we would have known the results based on free & fair elections but your mullahs suppressed the vote. All we got was cooked up results.
    How do you know if an election is rigged or not? Those in charge of the election say it wasn't rigged, they even did a re-count, that's as much as can happen.
    On the other hand there are a bunch of election losers shouting that the elections were rigged just because they didn't win, they don't have any proof other than that.

    So I am really curious why do you support such a regime that has no intention of deriving legitimacy from the Iranian people. Does the Iranian nation exist to serve the mullahs or the people?
    The Mullahs are the first regime in 182 years (whith several very short period exceptions) who did good for Iran.

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,094
    kerman,

    The Mullahs are the first regime in 182 years (whith several very short period exceptions) who did good for Iran.
    really? you mean you LIKED the iran-iraq war, international isolation, and an oil economy that is dependent on oil imports and foreign expertise?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  10. #10
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Jul 09
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    How do you know if an election is rigged or not? Those in charge of the election say it wasn't rigged, they even did a re-count, that's as much as can happen.
    On the other hand there are a bunch of election losers shouting that the elections were rigged just because they didn't win, they don't have any proof other than that.
    I am not going to argue over this. There was no transparency w.r.t elections & no amount of dissembling on your part is going to change that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    The Mullahs are the first regime in 182 years (whith several very short period exceptions) who did good for Iran.
    More sanctions sure is not going to do your people any good. I am a neutral observer & I can see it clearly you have a powerful enemy & non-transparent fraudulent regime. And if the US decides to bring down the hammer there would be no electricity for spinning the mullah's centrifuges. Neither there will be any for lighting homes.

  11. #11
    Defense Professional Dreadnought's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 May 05
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA.
    Posts
    14,728
    I would IMO, just rather see the sites totally destroyed. Its obvious the Iranian people have been defrauded time and time again so they shouldnt suffer for things they cannot control with the regime even by righteous legal means. The regime should suffer the wrath of those they keep under their boot heels and be removed.
    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

  12. #12
    Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Jul 09
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I would IMO, just rather see the sites totally destroyed. Its obvious the Iranian people have been defrauded time and time again so they shouldnt suffer for things they cannot control with the regime even by righteous legal means. The regime should suffer the wrath of those they keep under their boot heels and be removed.
    While I understand that your intentions are noble, this logic is dangerous. IMHO in times of war there should be no differentiation between govt & people whether the govt is legitimate or not. It would be prudent to destroy every single asset that would aid the enemy.

  13. #13
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    14,094
    pChan,

    IMHO in times of war there should be no differentiation between govt & people whether the govt is legitimate or not. It would be prudent to destroy every single asset that would aid the enemy.
    depends on what your goal is. if the people can with reasonable ease be split off from the government, then it behooves you not to do that. however, if they stand four-square behind their government, sure.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  14. #14
    Regular
    Join Date
    15 Jul 09
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumrunner View Post
    One can only hope Karzai keeps to his new pledge for cracking down on the rampant corruption in his administration. Otherwise rocky(er) roads lie ahead.
    Given Karzai's track record, that hope looks very naive.

  15. #15
    Senior Contributor antimony's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Feb 08
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    100,000-800,000 people demonstrated the first few days in Tehran, a city of 14,000,000, while the rest of the country (Iran has 72 milion citizens) stayed (almost) completely quiet.
    As for the repression, well to make a demonstration, you have to have government permission, also in western countries, thus these demonstrations were illegal and attacked by the police.
    In case you don't know, its called civil disobedience and we, the Indians, wrote the book on this one (okay, actually Threau wrote the book in 1879).

    Its was the exact same thing that was used during Indian Independence movements, the American civil rights movement and other rights movements against autocracy and oppression throughout the world. Invariably, the rulers term this as "detrimental to social order".

    Quote Originally Posted by Kermanshahi View Post
    There were many pre-election opinion polls which showed Ahmadinejad winning with such result, including the only nationwide poll. Also, in the last election, Ahmadinejad won with a similar result.

    The reason why most Westerners think the elections were rigged was the way that the media portrayed it. They went soley to rich areas in Tehran, interviewing only young people, mostly very westernised for Iranian standards and portayed that as "the Iranian people's opinion". They did not however go to any of the poorer and more religious areas, other cities or the tens of thousands of villages over the nation, now people think the majority of the Iranians supported him.
    Who monitors elections in Iran? In India the main body that governs elections is completely autonomous and fiecerly independent. Can you say the same aout Iran? And what gives the Guradian Council the right to approve candidates? In most democratic countries one branch of government does not have the right to "advise" the people who they should choose. The guardian Council does not seem to understand that.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Random Thoughts on the Mighty Hog - Part 2
    By Shipwreck in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 12 Dec 17,, 00:10
  2. Considering a war with Iran
    By Ray in forum The Iranian Question
    Replies: 534
    Last Post: 29 Sep 09,, 01:10
  3. Afghanistan and the Future of Warfare
    By troung in forum Military Aviation
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23 Feb 08,, 01:59
  4. Pashtunistan- CSIS PowerPoint Analysis
    By S2 in forum The Staff College
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03 Dec 07,, 11:56

Tags for this Thread

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •