American Civil War Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Civil War Quiz

Which American Civil War general had the highest casualty rate in his army?
    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Lee?

edit:

ah and how is "highest rate" defined? Highest number of total casulties or in percantage of men under his command?

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      Lee?

edit:

ah and how is "highest rate" defined? Highest number of total casulties or in percantage of men under his command?
      I think it's percentage under his command. I'm pretty sure it's Lee as well.

Comment

Lee?

edit:

Rate is percentage, and Lee was the general (at the army level or higher) in the Civil War with the highest casualty rate. Your turn.
        "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

What was the (unused) plan suggested to the Confederate authorities to get rid of the Unionist in St. Louis?

Comment

What was the (unused) plan suggested to the Confederate authorities to get rid of the Unionist in St. Louis?
            The request by Governor Jackson of Jefferson Davis for siege guns to destroy the ST Louis Arsenal?
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              The request by Governor Jackson of Jefferson Davis for siege guns to destroy the ST Louis Arsenal?
              um not the one I had in mind but I guess it still counts.

What I though of was:
              A Missouri man had once written the Confederate authorities that all they had to do to get rid of the Saint Louis Unionists was destroy the local breweries and seize all the beer: "... By this means the Germans will all die in a week and the Yankees will then run from this State.
              Brigadier General M. Jeff Thompson

Comment

What I though of was:

Destroy Anheuser Busch? Heretics all!

Comment

Well back then they still made at least actual beer.

Albany Rifles has the next question.

Comment

What I though of was:

That would have made what happened in the borderland of Kansas and Missouri seem like a tiff.

Bleeding Kansas? Hell, how about Burning Missouri!

Should have known a German would have beer in the equation!!!
                    Mark Twain

Comment

What ACW battle had the participants mostly composed of Native Americans, Affricans and only a few white units involved?
                      Last edited by Albany Rifles; 04 Nov 09,, 01:09.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

Only one I could think of was Honey Springs in Oklahoma, July of 1863. Close?

And hopefully this isn't considered necro-posting.

Comment

Tech,

You got it...and no, you are within the statute of limitation to keep the zombies at bay!

Your question!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Dang it! I even had my shotgun ready for the zombies this time.

Sorry, too much Left 4 Dead of late.

What Confederate blockade runner never entered a Southern port?

Comment

Originally posted by Tech View Post
                              What Confederate blockade runner never entered a Southern port?
                              I would say CSS Alabama, except she wasn't a blockade runner (nor a privateer, for that matter).
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X