No announcement yet.

American Civil War Quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the oldest monument erected on a Civil War battlefield?
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Hadda Goog that one, so I'm DQ'ing myself.

Great story, though, of the action, the unit, and the actual monument.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
        Hadda Goog that one, so I'm DQ'ing myself.

Great story, though, of the action, the unit, and the actual monument.

Those men were tougher than woodpecker lips. I am always stunned whenever I visit there.
        Mark Twain

Comment

The Hazen Monument

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            The Hazen Monument
            National Park Service

Hazen's Brigade occupied a vital piece of ground astride the Murfreesboro Post Road durign the opening of the Battle of Stone's River, 31 DEC 62 - 2 JAN 63. Their stand formed a salient which broke up succesive attacks and allowed Rosecrans to reorganize his Army of the Cumberland. The men of the brigade erected the monument in summer 1863.

It is really impressive.

All your's Dave
            Mark Twain

Comment

In what Campaign did Ulysses S Grant cross the Mississippi to force Lt Gen Pemberton into defensive lines?

Comment

Vicksburg
                Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Vicksburg
                  Stop on Sir..Your question

Comment

What was Sickles' Hole?
                    Mark Twain

Comment

The 'low ground' he THOUGHT his III Corps was in at the center of the Federalline at Gettysburg.

So, seeing some marginally higher ground to his front...he marched an entire army corps out in front of his supports on the left and right...and Hood promptly saw it, came on, and smashed him to bits.

Almost lost the battle single-handedly.

Comment

Dan Sickles and his controversial move forward from his assigned position on Cemetery Ridge on July 2.

Major-General Daniel Sickles (1819-1914) was born in New York, New York. He became a lawyer and a force in the Democratic Party. He became a state senator, and a United States Congressman. He murdered his wife’s lover, Philip Barton Key, the son of “Star Spangled Banner” author Francis Scott Key, across the street from the White House in 1859, but was acquitted. His influence with Northern Democrats helped his advancement in the United States Army, and by November 19, 1862 he was promoted to Major-General. He commanded the Third Corps at the Battle of Chancellorsville in May, 1863.
                        Last edited by dave lukins; 11 Dec 09,, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                          The 'low ground' he THOUGHT his III Corps was in at the center of the Federalline at Gettysburg.

So, seeing some marginally higher ground to his front...he marched an entire army corps out in front of his supports on the left and right...and Hood promptly saw it, came on, and smashed him to bits.

Almost lost the battle single-handedly.
                          I didn't get a chance to walk the ground completely, so I'd have to do this same thought experiment, but it is an interesting anecdote in support of Sickles:

Civil Warriors Letting the Ground Argue - Pt 2
                          "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Shek View Post
                            I didn't get a chance to walk the ground completely, so I'd have to do this same thought experiment, but it is an interesting anecdote in support of Sickles:

Civil Warriors Letting the Ground Argue - Pt 2
                            I don't think that terrain is 'dominating' to anything like being worth the risk that Sickles took to take an entire corps out of a perfectly fine battle line and bring it into an exposed position. Furthermore, I'd have to say that the question was definitively settled by historical result. Hood demonstrated as decisively as could be possibly be that Sickles made a mistake by being blasted off that supposedly better position by an attacker that only brought equal numerical strength, and STILL ripped the entire Corps up.

The 'hole' isn't really a hole, and the 'ridge' isn't really a ridge. One is certainly higher, but this isn't so important as Sickles seemed to think, and in that rolling terrain, the REAL dominating points DO matter. And Sickles came dam' close to letting a hole get blown out of the center that could've (and SHOULD'VE) cut off Culp's / Cemetary / the Round Tops from each other.

He screwed up.

Comment

Shek & Blue

All good points. And I have always been in the camp of calling Sickles and idiot....which he was.

That said, remember what happened at Chancellorsville when he gave up the high ground at Hazel Grove....he got the snot pounded out of his corps.

I can give him a little more slack having stood both pieces of ground and trying to think what an amateur would think.

Keith, your question.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

What Confederate officer lost a son, killed by the forces he commanded?

Comment

Working...
                                X