some politics questions need clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some politics questions need clearing

first off, what were the creators thoughts about human nature and the best form of government during the convention in Philadelphia? What form of government did they finally agree on? democracy?

next, what are some various means of formal change to the constitution and are there problems associated with them? what do those formal means achieve? are there any other mean of constitutional change? how have they been developed? any reliable sources?

also, how do YOU define political interest groups? how do they differ from political parties? what tactics do interest groups employ to achieve their objectives? in your opinion are interest groups in our system favorable or unfavorable? why?

finally, if someone could please explain the presidential nomination process to me and how it has changed in to what it is today. how are delegates selected to national party conventions? what strategies do potential presidential candidates employ to win the nomination of their party? are there financial restrictions placed on this process or the general election? are the restrictions ever effective? why?

just some questions I was wondering what other people thought about on the topic of american politics. LET'S HEAR YOUR OPINIONS!

Sounds like an assignment from a college freshman class.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
      Sounds like an assignment from a college freshman class.
      Hey,I like the Sopwith Camel you're using for an avatar ID,nice picture;).
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I don't see Snoopy in the Camel...
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          "Here's the World War I flying ace walking out to his Sopwith Camel..."
          Attached Files
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            I don't even see a Camel. The aircraft in the photo appears to be a Nieuport, not sure which exact model, possibly a Nieuport 17. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by redco View Post
              I don't even see a Camel. The aircraft in the photo appears to be a Nieuport, not sure which exact model, possibly a Nieuport 17. ;)
              To tell you the truth, I can't make out the details from that small photo. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to tell a Nieuport from a Sopwith.
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Questioner View Post
                first off, what were the creators thoughts about human nature and the best form of government during the convention in Philadelphia? What form of government did they finally agree on? democracy?
                They settled on republicanism with power vested in the hands of an all white male landed class. The argument being that landowners in an agrarian society were the only ones who had a real vested interest in the new nation succeeding.

next, what are some various means of formal change to the constitution and are there problems associated with them? what do those formal means achieve? are there any other mean of constitutional change? how have they been developed? any reliable sources?
                1. Congress/President can propose an amendment, if it passes both houses then it gets submitted to the states for ratification. This is by far the safest way since only the amendment in question is up for a vote.

2. The states can call a constitutional convention. This is dangerous since a Concov can change the entire constitution, dissolve the nation or do anything it wants.

3. Incorporation- The Supreme Court can find that a section of the Bill of Rights is essential to the process of ordered liberty and invoke the equal protections clause of the 14th and thus apply its ruling as binding on the states. The right to counsel, Miranda warnings and things like this are case sin point.

also, how do YOU define political interest groups? how do they differ from political parties? what tactics do interest groups employ to achieve their objectives? in your opinion are interest groups in our system favorable or unfavorable? why?
                Political parties in America are political overgroups. They control access to the ballot by picking the candidates.

Political interest groups are the sub-parties that make up the over-party. The strugg;le between them inside of a party determines what the platform will be. If its unpopular enough with one or more of the sub-parties they defect to another party.

finally, if someone could please explain the presidential nomination process to me and how it has changed in to what it is today. how are delegates selected to national party conventions? what strategies do potential presidential candidates employ to win the nomination of their party? are there financial restrictions placed on this process or the general election? are the restrictions ever effective? why?
                Do your homework; Politics of Presidential Selection is a senior level undergrad course. I can't really explain it if brief, there are too many factors and too many different eras. King Causus, The era of good feelings Jacksonian Power to the people, the development of primaries, making primaries open vs closed, coalition building, dark horses, campaign slogans and campaigns, mud slinging.....

The general trend over the past 200 years has been to add people to the process rather than excluding them.

Comment

Originally posted by redco View Post
                  Upon further examination(and some heavy Googling;))I believe you are correct sir:).
                  "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    "Here's the World War I flying ace walking out to his Sopwith Camel..."

After the turn of the century
                    In the clear blue skies over Germany
                    Came a roar and a thunder men had never heard
                    Like the scream and the sound of a big war bird

Up in the sky, a man in a plane
                    Baron von Richthofen was his name
                    Eighty men tried, and eighty men died
                    Now they're buried together on the countryside

Ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty or more
                    The Bloody Red Baron was rollin' up the score
                    Eighty men died tryin' to end that spree
                    of the Bloody Red Baron of Germany

In the nick of time, a hero arose
                    A funny-looking dog with a big black nose
                    He flew into the sky to seek revenge
                    But the Baron shot him down - "Curses, foiled again!"

Now, Snoopy had sworn that he'd get that man
                    So he asked the Great Pumpkin for a new battle plan
                    He challenged the German to a real dogfight
                    While the Baron was laughing, he got him in his sight

That Bloody Red Baron was in a fix
                    He'd tried everything, but he'd run out of tricks
                    Snoopy fired once, and he fired twice
                    And that Bloody Red Baron went spinning out of sight

“Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X