Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were stationed in Germany and had 3 yrs to explore...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you were stationed in Germany and had 3 yrs to explore...

...where would you go to get the best bang for your buck where WW II sites are concerned?

I don't pretend to be the expert that some of you obviously are, but I do have a big interest in the war. I was thinking of doing it by subject (concentration camps, battle sites, air fields, etc). Obviously, Normandy is on the list. I spent a year in England and checked out many airfields, museums, etc.

Not only am I stationed in Germany, my job has me travelling all over Europe. Some examples of where I will be in the next year include Serbia, Italy, Romania, France, NL, & Finland.

Any ideas would be welcome. I also wouldn't mind picking up some collectable items while I am here.
    Use enough gun

Originally posted by 3584ELK View Post
    ...where would you go to get the best bang for your buck where WW II sites are concerned?

I don't pretend to be the expert that some of you obviously are, but I do have a big interest in the war. I was thinking of doing it by subject (concentration camps, battle sites, air fields, etc). Obviously, Normandy is on the list. I spent a year in England and checked out many airfields, museums, etc.

Not only am I stationed in Germany, my job has me travelling all over Europe. Some examples of where I will be in the next year include Serbia, Italy, Romania, France, NL, & Finland.

Any ideas would be welcome. I also wouldn't mind picking up some collectable items while I am here.
    Enjoy yourself!!!

Well there is Dachau outside of munich and you can still go see the stadium in Nuremberg where the Nazis held all of their rallies.

Normandy is tremendous. Do yourself a favor and do a guided tour (tons are available on line) for a great overview and then cherry pick more what you want to see.

You can do a great Battle of the Bulge Campaign Tour from Frankfurt...I've doen that both sumemr and winter to get the right frame of reference. Again tours are available.

South of you on Hagenau, FR (near Strasbourg) are several stretches of the Maginot Line/Siegfried Line intact with soem pretty good museums.

In Sinsheim (halfway between Heidleberg and Heilbronn) is a tremendous museum for armored vehicles and aircraft that is worth a day.

After that, start Googleing!

Also, if you have access to the DOD MWR see if ITT is offering tours.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

Bregen/Belsen concentration camp (Hannover would be the closest airport)
      sigpic

Comment

Wow...16 posts in nearly 5 years. You need to speak up more. Maybe join in on the food fight once in a while.
        "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Bergen Belson as Dragoon Guard has already said. Hitler Hoff and the Tank Ranges at Bergen Hohne (Panzer Division Training area during the war. Colditz is a must, Dachau, Auswitch, Wewelsburg Castle (SS HQ) near Paderborn, Berlin (Reichstag, Bradenburg Gate etc.), Dresden, Hameln. Just heaps of places to go. Enjoy your stay. I did aprroximately 14 years in Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
            Wow...16 posts in nearly 5 years. You need to speak up more. Maybe join in on the food fight once in a while.
            Granted...I guess I was too busy with all the guns and hunting forums!
            Use enough gun

Comment

I prefer weapon museums.

* Panzermuseum in Münster
              * Luftwaffemuseum in Berlin
              * Deutsches Museum in München
              * Deutsches Marinemuseum in Wilhemshaven

I have been only to the second and third ones, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
                I prefer weapon museums.

* Panzermuseum in Münster
                * Luftwaffemuseum in Berlin
                * Deutsches Museum in München
                * Deutsches Marinemuseum in Wilhemshaven

I have been only to the second and third ones, unfortunately.
                * Panzermuseum in Münster, - An excellent place.
                sigpic

Comment

Tank Museum in Bovington, can't beat it.

Comment

Read Rommel's Attacks and then walk the site of the battles in Northern Italy that are the formative experiences as a company grade officer. I understand that it's WWI, but since he became such a renowned leader in WWII I think you might find that to be worth your while and a good excuse to visit Italy.

Also, visit northern Lake Garda for both it's beauty and to see where the last battle in Italy in WWII was fought.
                    "So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
                      Tank Museum in Bovington, can't beat it.
                      Agreed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Headed to Hagenau France this weekend to check out that part of the Maginot Line and then meeting a date in Stuttgart for dinner.
                        Use enough gun

Comment

Originally posted by 3584ELK View Post
                          Any site will do, just make sure the girl is hot! :)) :)) :))

Comment

Working...
                          X