No announcement yet.

Windows 7 is out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dare you to run Crysis on that machine. (btw do you mean Dawn of War or another 40K game? Like Fire Warrior or..uhm..ok can't think of more, the others are all WH:F iirc)

Seems like I could buy a rather cheap version ov Windows 7 due being a university student, though I am not sure which version with which features

Comment

Originally posted by Tarek Morgen View Post
      I dare you to run Crysis on that machine. (btw do you mean Dawn of War or another 40K game? Like Fire Warrior or..uhm..ok can't think of more, the others are all WH:F iirc)

Seems like I could buy a rather cheap version ov Windows 7 due being a university student, though I am not sure which version with which features
      You are correct. It's the Dawn of War II game. I just couldn't remember the exact name.

Let me look for that $30 Windows 7 for .edu offering. I believe you can get the professional version for that price.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        One more thought, you can get Windows 7 for $30 if you have a .edu email address....which I don't:(
        Hmm... I have an .edu address. Not currently enrolled. I got the XP Pro upgrade through my school for $12, and the Vista Pro upgrade for $15 (had to have a friend get it, as a student is only eligible for one OS). Microsoft Office for $11, I think.

Where's this place where you get 7 for $30? I reckoned that I'd just have another friend pick up a copy and ship it to me.
        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Try this link:

https://windows7.digitalriver.com/se...=1256329875869

Comment

Will get a pirated version for sure. After using Vista for 1 year, I want to ram it up Bill Gate's rear end.....
            Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

Originally posted by 667medic View Post
              Will get a pirated version for sure. After using Vista for 1 year, I want to ram it up Bill Gate's rear end.....
              With Vista MS had a workaround for pirates. Buy the upgrade version, do a clean install, don't activate, "upgrade" the unactivated version, then activate it. I don't know yet if that'll be the case with 7.

$110 isn't a whole lot of money for an OS. Don't you guys pay even less in India?

Comment

I've been running the various betas for a a few months, and I kinda like it. I still use XP for most things and most likely will for awhile until I find out which of my software will run on it.
                When it comes to switching, I'll most likely get a new machine.
                My nephew goes to IU and he told me the cost there was $50, which still isn't bad.

"With Vista MS had a workaround for pirates. Buy the upgrade version, do a clean install, don't activate, "upgrade" the unactivated version, then activate it. I don't know yet if that'll be the case with 7.

$110 isn't a whole lot of money for an OS. Don't you guys pay even less in India?"

If you have an OEM machine like a Dell or HP, just grab an OS restore and use that. It works for Win2000, XP and Vista, so it should work for Win7. You'll still have to grab the drivers, but that's not a big deal.
                Last edited by ZekeJones; 23 Oct 09,, 22:04. Reason: added content.

Comment

I think I'll pass. My alma mater will offer Pro for half the price in January. I don't want to be stuck with 7 home, and I prefer to keep a disc on hand.

Comment

Originally posted by ZekeJones View Post
                    If you have an OEM machine like a Dell or HP, just grab an OS restore and use that. It works for Win2000, XP and Vista, so it should work for Win7. You'll still have to grab the drivers, but that's not a big deal.
                    I haven't bought an OEM computer since 2000. I build my own, so I can control the quality of the components and save a chunk of change.

The only time I've ever dealt with restore discs, they were not capable of doing clean installs. Just "repairing" a current installation.

Comment

all,

i've been using this for my home computer for the past two months. it's basically what vista SHOULD HAVE been. if you have xp, no real reason to upgrade. if you unfortunately have vista, go for it.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                        I haven't bought an OEM computer since 2000. I build my own, so I can control the quality of the components and save a chunk of change.

The only time I've ever dealt with restore discs, they were not capable of doing clean installs. Just "repairing" a current installation.
                        They have changed quite a bit over the years. Dell's restores are an actual Windows disk customized by Dell so they will work only on Dells with a drivers and applications disk. Some HP machines still come with a separate OS and drivers cd, but mainly now there is an app on the machine to make your own that are specific to that machine.
                        You are right though, using those disks to repair a problem sucks, but for clean installs they work great.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          all,

i've been using this for my home computer for the past two months. it's basically what vista SHOULD HAVE been. if you have xp, no real reason to upgrade. if you unfortunately have vista, go for it.
                          Pretty soon it's going to be an unsupported piece of software. That'd be reason enough for me to make the switch.

I still don't understand all of the problems people've been having with Vista. I was wary of it because of all the horror stories I was vaguely aware of it, but since installation I haven't had problems. What's the deal?

Comment

matt,

slow and has those annoying security popups. those have been tuned way back.
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              matt,

slow and has those annoying security popups. those have been tuned way back.
                              Security pop ups? None of the Vista that I ran had any security pop ups.

The problem was the management told me to turn them back on to test our software.

Vista is a memory hog though. It runs great if there's enough horse power. It's very sluggish if only the minimum requirement is met.

Comment

Security pop ups? None of the Vista that I ran had any security pop ups.

The problem was the management told me to turn them back on to test our software.

Vista is a memory hog though. It runs great if there's enough horse power. It's very sluggish if only the minimum requirement is met.
                                I guess I've got the horsepower then. My computer is actually overkill for what I use it for. It's capable of running the newest games on the highest setting, no problem, but I haven't played a game in months.

Comment

Working...
                                X