No announcement yet.

Current Photos of Battleships around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^Yep, BB55 has the wartime paint job, but they didn't paint the decks. Decks were just replaced in the mid-90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
      On the South Dakota class, what was the purpose of the 'indentation' along the length of the hull?
      *If I am reading your question correctly, the indentation along the length of the hull is where her armor belt bulges away from the hull itself to encase the fuel and ballast water wing tanks. From turret #1 to turret #3 where it blends back into the hull. It was carried exterior of the hull on the South Dakota class instead of interior like the Iowa class. That is if I am reading the question correctly.
      Last edited by Dreadnought; 31 Jan 10,, 18:18.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        If I was King of the BB on display world. I would have the Mass and Alabama
        painted in their wartime colors like the North Carolina.

Same with the other types of ships on display. Far to many people think that the Navy was "Haze Gray" in WW2.

The NC shows off her Ms 32/18d camo nicely. Wouldn't it be great to see Alabama in her splotched MS 12mod and Mass in either the same or the simple MS 22. They could do both Ala and Mass in MS22 pretty easy next time they get a paint job. Navy Blue hull, Haze Gray superstructure. And yes paint the wood decks Dark Blue.
        *Always loved the dazzle pattern on Mo late WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
          *Always loved the dazzle pattern on Mo late WWII.
          You mean this one MS32/22d?

May be my next model. Think I've caught the ship bug. Its either her in 1944 or the North Carolina.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
            ^Yep, BB55 has the wartime paint job, but they didn't paint the decks. Decks were just replaced in the mid-90's.
            I recall reading about that...good for NC :)

Alabama
            is dearly in need of a fresh paint job and a new deck. Far easier to accomplish the first, though far from easy. The new deck, well... :(
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              *If I am reading your question correctly, the indentation along the length of the hull is where her armor belt bulges away from the hull itself to encase the fuel and ballast water wing tanks. From turret #1 to turret #3 where it blends back into the hull. It was carried exterior of the hull on the South Dakota class instead of interior like the Iowa class. That is if I am reading the question correctly.
              You read my question correctly Dreadnought, thanks! But why leave it open like that? Why not close it up into the deck?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                You read my question correctly Dreadnought, thanks! But why leave it open like that? Why not close it up into the deck?
                Probably a weight sacrafice to meet London Treaty specifications.

Start off with an accurate fiberglass hull. Dreadnaught's Helper makes them, mostly in 1:96 scale (1/8" = 1'-0"). I've posted some photos of his shop on other threads.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

You mean this one MS32/22d?
                  Yep, Mo's dazzle patter, the opposite quarter view.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X