No announcement yet.

Naval preparation for donating a warship as a museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't the galleys be used, particularly on the older ships like North Carolina?

I'd guess it wouldn't be that efficient because the equipment is so old, then again....not like it's been used all that much.

I know the Navy wouldn't let them cut off the outboard prop shafts or something on the Massachusetts, because "the ship is subject to recall".

If they ever decided to reactivate BB55, I'd probably quit what I'm doing and move to wherever they were doing the work to try to get hired to help. It'd be a hell of a restoration job, but it'd be awesome, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
      Interesting that the Mobile was homeported in Long Beach and decommissioned in Long Beach, yet wound up in Philly instead of Suisun bay.
      I'm thinking maybe one of the contributing factors to them being here is that PNSY is in fresh water. The salt line never comes up the river that far it usually creeps up river about 4-6 miles below the yard. I cant seem to remember it ever coming any closer. It probably assists the cathodic protection systems nicely.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

The Durham and St. Louis are in reserve at the North Loch at Pearl. Why no freshwater treatment for them do ya suppose?
        You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
          The Durham and St. Louis are in reserve at the North Loch at Pearl. Why no freshwater treatment for them do ya suppose?
          *Close proximity to a large drydock and ships maintenance facility, Thats why Mo is being well looked after . Only so many drydocks on the East and West coast. Eliminates long costly tow jobs.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

I was thinking that or FMS once they are taken out of cat B reserve, although at this point I dont know what country would take 2 Amphibs still using winch and crane technology to offload cargo & landing craft
            You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
              RustyBattleship... ... another book, you have a book?

Shaft locks, no nav equipment, no galley... sounds like the navy really does not want anything operational and the ship is just there for people to see. I would like to visit all the parts of the ship they do not let you see. Those seem the most interesting. I have read a few threads on this forum and you guys have great stories and seem to know it all.
              yep, those places are the most interesting.. that's for sure (being an active duty Sailor with 18 years in the navy) I guess that you get "jaded" to them, and don't bother seeing them anymore..

Comment

Interesting compartments of a BB

My first visit to the BB Massachusetts in the mid 80's was awesome.

A late October day during the week and no tourists were present. The staff was cold and tired alowing me the run of the ship. A memory of entering a room ( several decks below the main deck ) to view what I thought to be the engine room is still vivid. I viewed so much of the BB that my mental capacity was overwhelmed in four hours on board.

Noted where several retired sailors spraying 409 cleaner on the bulkheads on the upper decks and scrubbing off the markings of those who displayed little respect. Understandably access to the general public is now limited to many areas of the ship. :(
                " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post

Noted where several retired sailors spraying 409 cleaner on the bulkheads on the upper decks and scrubbing off the markings of those who displayed little respect. Understandably access to the general public is now limited to many areas of the ship. :(
                  409, damn they are in the dark ages.. use Simple Green, that stuff in concentrated formula will take paint off the bulkhead (don't ask me how I know)..

Comment

I know when I was involved with the fiasco of an operation to return the USS JOHN RODGERS DD574 to the US we conntacted the ATF about the 5inch guns and they repiled with they had no juristiction over cannons and the Coasties said as long as the mounts were alligned down the centerline and the 40's and 20's were obviously secured while under tow they had no prob with it coming back to the US in that condition..this is before we found out that the Mexicans had already stripped out the interiors of the turrets.

Comment

If anyone out here is interested in helping me with a project to save some historic Naval ships as museum/disaster responce ships please drop me a line working on getting a former ARS saved that way right now.

Comment

Originally posted by usselliot76 View Post
                        If anyone out here is interested in helping me with a project to save some historic Naval ships as museum/disaster responce ships please drop me a line working on getting a former ARS saved that way right now.
                        Exactly what ships do you have in mind for such a project.

Also, were do you live? Space for mooring of the ships and methods of maintenance during seasonal changes of that area are important.
                        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Good looking ship.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Best Design for a Tin Can ?

Ahhh.. the Fletcher-class destroyer of the United States Navy :))

I still think this class had a sweet and well balanced design....
                            " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                              Ahhh.. the Fletcher-class destroyer of the United States Navy :))

I still think this class had a sweet and well balanced design....
                              No argument from me. I worked on a couple of them myself as a shipfitter apprentice at the shipyard. But it was all too soon that newer classes of Destroyers came in that were a tad larger so the "All or Nothing" Engineers at Buships could cram 12 pounds of potatoes in a 10 pound sack.
                              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Hey Rusty I'm in Michigan right now the Detroit area...thinking of the ARS's YT's ect Tugs and smaller ships like that sort that can be converted into full time or AUX fireboats/police dive platforms and obviously tugs/rescuse boats for vessels in distress..the Aux would come in for the boats/ships being used as Museum's as a primary mission. The Money to do these conversions is already available from the feds and lets face it in this economy a small ship stand alone museum is kind of just headed for headaches but in essence by wearing multiple hats they stand a chance of being if not prosperous at least stay afloat(no pun intended) Here's a couple of links to prove the moneys out there and the possibility of a musum ship being able to act as an Aux responce ship.

City gets $356,000 stimulus for new fire boat | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/Legislat...20Fireboat.pdf

Funding tip for your dive team... [Archive] - Firehouse Forums - Firefighting Discussion

here's a link to the John J Harvey the fire boat that responded to 9-11
                                fireboat.org - Historic Fireboat John J. Harvey - Life Saver, National Treasure - My River Chronicles: Rediscovering America on the Hudson

Comment

Working...
                                X