USS Missouri went to drydock today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    Pretty nice the keel blocks have the extra piece on them to raise the ship higher so the people/workers don't have to "Hunch" over to walk underneath.
    Are those wood blocks with a chewy concrete center?
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
      Rusty, you wrote in another thread about "emergency stops" on Iowa Class BB's.

If I understand your remarks, manual steering was executed by turning the rudders toward one another, thus inhibiting the channeling of water under the ship, between the inboard screws and creating a giant drag brake.

These are really great pictures posted by Dreadnought but a question arises "how did the rudders keep from damaging themselves " ( collision wise ) Is there that much radius clearance ? It does not appear so in Dread's post.

=== ???? ===
      Simple. The local crew in the steering gear control room are trained ahead of time as to the maximum angle they are allowed to turn inboard so they don't hit.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Pretty nice the keel blocks have the extra piece on them to raise the ship higher so the people/workers don't have to "Hunch" over to walk underneath.
        Ah yes. Though it is surprising that they used docking blocks taller than the average which was basically a big cube of concrete with about 12 inches of oak on top.

I think it was the Constellation that was the only ship in Dry Dock 1 I could walk under standing erect as they used double blocks because of her beam. The dock walls were slanted and double blocks provided a couple of more inches of space between the ship and dry dock.
        Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          Ah yes. Though it is surprising that they used docking blocks taller than the average which was basically a big cube of concrete with about 12 inches of oak on top.

I think it was the Constellation that was the only ship in Dry Dock 1 I could walk under standing erect as they used double blocks because of her beam. The dock walls were slanted and double blocks provided a couple of more inches of space between the ship and dry dock.
          Probably too late to put in a "Benny-Sugg" for taller keel blocks to aid productivity. Traditionally I'd see staging planks leaned at 45 degree angle against the keel block where some worker had his Bayflex grinder doing his thing underneath the ship. It also looked like enough room to drive a Bobcat underneath for the assorted chores like picking up mounds of blasting grit instead of having to sweep it all the way out to the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            Are those wood blocks with a chewy concrete center?
            Hope so or those visitors would need more than hard hats.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              Some upclose drydock pictures of Mo.
              *Note: She still has her paravain hook on the bow footing. Also of note look how close her outter 4 blade props on the skeg come to the drydocks inner walls.
              I guess this is a good a time as any to ask; What the hell are paravanes and what purpose do they serve? I always see the chains running from bow to foot on old BB, CA and CL pics. Why arent they on smaller ships? Or Carriers?
              You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

Paravanes were a device used for minesweeping, Depending upon which navy you look at during WWII they all had different arrays including even the Bismark. Normally it wouldn't be a BB's job to do this but they were equiped for it none the less just incase. Normally it would fall to minesweepers and small craft.

Paravane (please excuse the spelling)
                A chain or heavy wire takes a towpoint for the paravanes down the ship's bow to the forefoot and the vane flies through the water, with its tow-wire going back from the bow at maybe 30-35 deg to the centreline. The tow wire is let out maybe 40-50m, so the paravanes fly parallel to the ship, one each side. If a mine's mooring wire strikes the tow wire it is shouldered aside by the tow-wire, pushing the mooring wire and mine further away from the ship, until it hits a cutting blade close to the paravane. With the wire cut the buoyant mine pops up to the surface, and if no sharpshooter can hit a horn, their rifle shots hole the casing and the mine harmlessly sinks to the bottom.

This is a picture of Bismarks paravane array.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Jan 10,, 15:20.
                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

US Navy ship paravanes stacked during the Korean War.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dreadnought; 14 Jan 10,, 15:17.

Comment

*If you look at the Missouri's bow shot you can see she still has the hook on the skeg foot. I believe Rusty posted a picture of New Jerseys after it was removed during the reactivation period in drydock at Long Beach.;)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                      *If you look at the Missouri's bow shot you can see she still has the hook on the skeg foot. I believe Rusty posted a picture of New Jerseys after it was removed during the reactivation period in drydock at Long Beach.;)
                      It was actually cut off in 1987. Weight savings, you know

Comment

It was actually cut off in 1987. Weight savings, you know
                        :))

Comment

Ahhh-ha! So basically two of those 'floaters' shall we say, are dropped over each side and are spread out by the ships motion to 35 degree angles where they snag and force moored or floating mines away from the hull.

I made a crude drawing. The paravane wires are in red and the actual 'floaters' are in blue. Would this be right?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                            Ahhh-ha! So basically two of those 'floaters' shall we say, are dropped over each side and are spread out by the ships motion to 35 degree angles where they snag and force moored or floating mines away from the hull.

I made a crude drawing. The paravane wires are in red and the actual 'floaters' are in blue. Would this be right?

[ATTACH]18217[/ATTACH]
                            ;)

Comment

Thanks Dread, another nugget of ship-related information duly filed away. And another week of calculus and three website passwords cheerfully forgotten. :))

Comment

Originally posted by Rumrunner View Post
                                Thanks Dread, another nugget of ship-related information duly filed away. And another week of calculus and three website passwords cheerfully forgotten. :))
                                Not a problem friend.:)

Comment

Working...
                                X