Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STOP! DELETE! DELETE!

Damn this old age memory losses.

That CAN NOT be a rivet hole. It IS the Forepeak tank BUT, that portion of the ship is all WELDED. Their are NO rivets there.

So what caused that hole is a mystery for now. It could be a crack in a weld joint. If I could afford to, I'd go over there and inspect it myself as I worked on a lot of deteriorated or damaged shell plating in my 10 years as a shipfitter and 29 years as a structural designer.

The last time Missouri was in dry dock at LBNSY we (including myself) did a pretty good inspection of the shell and it was in pretty good shape.

The only shell damage she has are the two dents in the starboard side below the main deck where that Zeke Kamikaze bounced off. I was given a job order to replace those dents when we reactivated her. I destroyed that order. Fortunately it was just a joke sent down to me from one of the Estimators.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 22 Oct 09,, 04:38.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Most of the guys from BAE working on the Missouri probably have never worked on a battleship before. Why wouldn't they search out someone like you who has such knowledge about these ships for advise on certain things.

I am just tagging along learning...
      Some pics on that damage from the kamikaze...
      Attached Files

Comment

Ken:
        If you pull out Paul Stillwell's book on the Missouri, you will see a better picture of the dents. I took the photo myself on our pre-reactivation inspection and contributed a copy to Paul for the book.

The shallow dent on the left is where the wingtip hit and caused the plane to do a flat spin. The deeper dent further forward is where the propeller spinner hit before the plane blew up.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          STOP! DELETE! DELETE!

Damn this old age memory losses.

That CAN NOT be a rivet hole. It IS the Forepeak tank BUT, that portion of the ship is all WELDED. Their are NO rivets there.

So what caused that hole is a mystery for now. It could be a crack in a weld joint. If I could afford to, I'd go over there and inspect it myself as I worked on a lot of deteriorated or damaged shell plating in my 10 years as a shipfitter and 29 years as a structural designer.

The last time Missouri was in dry dock at LBNSY we (including myself) did a pretty good inspection of the shell and it was in pretty good shape.

The only shell damage she has are the two dents in the starboard side below the main deck where that Zeke Kamikaze bounced off. I was given a job order to replace those dents when we reactivated her. I destroyed that order. Fortunately it was just a joke sent down to me from one of the Estimators.
          *Agreed, That dent holds alot of charm and much history. In as much the case as Massachusetts has a concrete filled hole through her deck that was never repaired.;)
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Found a slideshow of work.... #26 you can see the area where the water was leaking out.

Comment

Great slide show of BB-63

Question on the dry dock efforts to restore the hull....

Is Pearl Harbor's water less salty than normal sea water?
              Therefore preserving the hull will have a greater life. (?) correct ?

Awesome pictures of the cribbing and earlier comments offered by Rusty Battleship.
              " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Hawaii certainly has different types of hull fouling critters than we do on this side of the Pacific.

However, look at that one pic where it appears to be a reddish patch perfectly square. That was where the docking block was when she was last docked in Bremerton.

Before taking Puget Sound marine fouling to Hawaii, the ship was berthed in fresh water just west of Portland, Oregon to kill off the salt water critters.

Also, my hat is off to the Hawaii group that obviously researched what docking block position the ship was in way back in the early 90's. If it was position 1, then they set her in position 2 or 3 so the area covered by the blocks from the last docking can be cleaned and painted.

That hole in the side of the forepeak tank (just about at its aft bulkhead on frame 5) is still a mystery to me. I would like to see some really, really close up photos of it from BOTH sides.

Comment

Looks like they have their work cut out for them! Barnacles, ewwww.....

I wonder which Iowa goes to drydock next.
                  "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                  -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Guy View Post
                    Looks like they have their work cut out for them! Barnacles, ewwww.....

I wonder which Iowa goes to drydock next.
                    Time will tell.;):))
                    Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Found these videos on Youtube. On the last one they show water pouring out of that hole in the bow. It looks like 2 streams of water. In the same video someone comments about a patch job. What could that be?

YouTube - USS Missouri Moved To Dry Dock
                      YouTube - USS Missouri tow to dry dock
                      YouTube - USS Missouri entering Pearl Harbor drydock #4
                      YouTube - Battleship Missouri Drydock

These look like the same pics as before but some seem different.
                      A few questions...
                      Why do they have the tarps covering the blocks and drydock floor, is that normal? See pics 3,4 & 5.
                      In #5 & #23, above the port inboard prop, is that a patch or a covered intake, or something else?
                      #6 is another shot of the leak.
                      #10 shows something on the hull as well unless that was a point rubbing against something. Also on the the other side #15-17.
                      #14 Rusty said was where the last time she was resting on a block.

When they removed the 5" mounts to install the Tomahawk cruise missiles (right)?, whatever happened to the mounts? Hopefully the were not scrapped like some of the guns. Maybe I will find out when I get Rusty's book.
                      Last edited by Ken_NJ; 23 Oct 09,, 23:05.

Comment

Ken:
                        They do have plastic sheeting over the docking blocks. I have never seen that done before. Usually the blocks are cubes of Concrete with an 8 to 12 inch cap of Oak on top.

EXCEPT the aftermost blocks that the ship first touches down with (always drydock with trim at the stern) which has a top layer of softer wood.

Those are definitely two holes in the forepeak tank and not just one. They are also pretty good size and the size of the corroded steel around them strongly suggest an overzealous tug boat when she was berthed in 98.

Almost every Spruance class Destroyer that came into LBNSY had a dent in its upper shell plating in almost exactly the same spot. And not from OUR tugs.

For fixing Missouri's hole, to keep in accordance with Navy instructions (for keeping the ship ready for reactivation regardless of how feasible it is at this time) they cannot just put a piece of steel plate over it like a band aide and weld it up. They have to cut out at least an 18" diameter hole, or a rectangular section (with 6" radius corners to distribute stress concentration) and insert the hole with new plating. If any of the stiffening or bulkhead inside are damaged, they also have to be replaced.
                        Last edited by RustyBattleship; 24 Oct 09,, 00:53.

Comment

Water and Harbor rash

Interesting about tug boats inflicting harbor rash upon the external hull

These unknown holes captured in the series of jpegs and mpegs submitted make me think of the water supply inside the hull that is now being allowed to exit in drydock.

These areas identified by Rusty Battleship.... there is some way to access them yes? from inside the ship ? or is it just a cavity that has access from the top and can sump water without entering other compartments as long as the bulkheads remain water tight?
                          " Lite all burners, make all steam! "

Comment

Is she going to get the fancy new blue hull coating or the traditional red?

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                              Interesting about tug boats inflicting harbor rash upon the external hull
                              when my last ship moored in San Francisco in 2004 for Fleet Week, a tug boat hit the side of it so hard, the side of the ship was shoved inward about 6". It wasn't till we were in PSA (Post Shakedown Availability) in 2005 that they cut the damaged area out (about 10 ft long and 5 ft high) and welded in new steel in it's place..

Comment

Originally posted by connaye View Post
                                These areas identified by Rusty Battleship.... there is some way to access them yes? from inside the ship ? or is it just a cavity that has access from the top and can sump water without entering other compartments as long as the bulkheads remain water tight?
                                Their is only one scuttle (small round "hatch") in the overhead of the forepeak tank which is on 2nd deck. While inspecting the Iowa in 2006, water was reported in its forepeak tank. I suspected it may have been through a corroded hole in the Paravane chain pipe running through it.

One of the inspectors from Vallejo and thought he was immune to everything. So he and Dreadnaught Helper opened the tank and he reaced into the water with his hand and tasted it.

"Nope", he said. "This is fresh water. No salt taste to it at all." Well, I don't know if that water had something else in it or not because he was not with us on our second inspection two months later.

Comment

Working...
                                X