Hilarious post-WWI map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilarious post-WWI map

Can anybody tell me what's wrong with this map?
    Attached Files
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

It has France gaining territory?
    You know JJ, Him could do it....

Comment

The empty space under Eesti (estonia) is Latvia. Latvia is written on the place called Lithuania.
      :)
      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

Germany's border to the east is completly wrong. Germany still had Areas like Königsberg and not did not stop at the Oder-Neiße-Line.

It completly forgets Kingdom of Yugoslavia, that Czech and Slovakia were one state, Moldova did not become indipendent till 91..and there is so much more. The map itself is drawn horrible...Sicily and Italy have a landconnection?? The location and distance between crete and Cypris is off too...this map is horrible

Comment

Get this... that website charges $20 for the map in 72 DPI, and $70 for 300.

Comment

well at least north in the right direction

Comment

I can speak for Greece, where Evoia island is just that: an island, not connected to the main peninsula. The Cyclades were already Greek back then, and the Dodecanese were Italian.

Also, where are the Dardanelles? Since when the Black Sea is a lake? :P

Comment

Wow...just wow!

What sort of morons do a 'before & after WW1' where the 'after' borders (helpfully drawn in grey) are modern borders that have undergone two major revisions since 1919.

Apart from some of the errors pointed out (though France did get territory after WW1 - Alsace Lorraine) could I just suggest that Switzerland & Corsica look VERY queasy (in fact, I think the nth part of Corsica is trying to becomer Cyprus). The Corinth Canal also appears to have widened dramatically. Perhaps they dumped the dirt in the straits of Messina, the Dardanelles, sea of Mamara & Bosphorous.

France has apparently been given Iraq & Nth Iran (someone is in for a surprise when they get up in the morning), while Britain appears to have gained an obscure Central Asian 'stan that I'm pretty sure was never part of the Empire. Just imagine, the RN in the Caspian sea. I'll be charitable & assume that the Russian 'loss' of Georgia, Armenia, Azerbajan, Belarus & Ukraine describe a particular moment before the Bolsheviks consolidated control (I'm being VERY charitable).

I swear I could draw a more accurate map from memory.
                sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Here's my list of inaccuracies (besides most of what's already been pointed out):
                  • Lithuania is labeled as Latvia. What is actually Latvia is unlabeled
                  • Kaliningrad / former East Prussia is labeled as Lithuania
                  • The portion of Western Thrace shown as having been lost by Turkey to Bulgaria (after the First Balkan War) was lost by Bulgaria to Greece (after WWI)
                  • Part of Austria-Hungary shown as lost to Slovenia (not a state until 1991) was lost to Italy (Friuli and Trieste)
                  • Finland is shown as it was after the cessions of the Winter War, not after WWII
                  • The Orkneys and Shetland Islands are not shaded as part of GB
                  • The creation of the Irish Free State did not occur until December 1922
                  • Czechoslovakia was elongated further east, is displayed as having been split into the Czech Republic and Slovakia, and the better part of Moravia is shown as part of Slovakia.
                  • The shape of Austria-Hungary is highly distorted. The Austrian panhandle is almost absent, and extended further west into what is shown as Switzerland
                  • The northern coast of Norway is way too wide
                  • The Central Asian states shown (Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkmenistan) never existed in any such fashion post-WWI as did the Baltic States, with only short-lived ill-defined emirates which the Soviets soon brought under their control
                  • There was never an independent Ukraine after WWI, nor Belarus
                  • Poland is situated too far east, in its current boundaries
                  • Germany lacks it's forked lands east of the Oder-Neisse, and the exclave of East Prussia
                  • Alsace-Lorraine was not shaped as is shown. It was more of an eastward pointing chevron.
                  • Unless there was a shift in tectonic plates, Ireland and GB are a little too close to one another for comfort.
                  • Kosovo.... really?
                  • Britain ended up with Turkmenistan/Central Asia, and France with northern Iran? I know Enver Pasha had a few misadventures in Turkic Central Asia after 1917, but I don't recall that part of northern Iran ever having been a part of the Ottoman Empire, nor Central Asia.
                  • Since they used a modern map, doesn't Croatia occupy almost the entirety of what's shown as the coast of Bosnia (practically landlocked)?
                  • Belgium extends too far east into what is even today Germany, German territorial losses to Belgium are not shown
                  • The Netherlands is missing half of Limburg (the little finger that juts southward into Belgium in its southeast corner), the IJsselmeer is solid land (today not even the case with the Flevoland polder, and the Scheiden of southwest Netherlands are missing. The Frisian Isles are not shown.
                  • The islands shown north of Jutland are not islands. The islands south of Zealand (Denmark) are all messed up.
                  • The islands northwest of the Gulf of Finland are shown as a chain of many very small, equal sized islands. In reality there is one large island and several small islands that should be too small to show up on this map.
                  • Seems someone messed up on Corsica, and decided to plop a mini-Cyprus on the north end to make up for it. Ironically north Corsica-Cyprus is more accurately displayed than the Cyprus south of Turkey.
                  • The border between Finland and Sweden seems to be a couple pixelated straight lines at an obtuse angle
                  • The post Yugoslav Wars borders of Yugoslavia are shown. Montenegro was independent before WWI. Most of what is shown as an Austro-Hungarian loss in Serbia was part of Serbia to begin with before WWI.

Remember folks, this can all be yours for a low price of $20 (72 DPI) or for the fancy high-resolution download w/o watermark, $70! (300 DPI)

Seriously though, I'm guessing by the name of the site mapsofworld.com, and the name of the map, Aftermath of First World War, this was drawn up by some Russian kid on the off-chance even one person would be dumb enough or willing to pay for it. For one, the definite article (the) is missing twice.

Comment

Maybe usable for Risk!

Comment

Working...
                    X