No announcement yet.

'Don't Ask Don't Tell' to end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lesbian soldier who was awarded nearly £190,000 after an employment tribunal found she was sexually harassed by a male sergeant has had her payout cut by more than £62,000.

The Ministry of Defence launched an appeal after it was ordered to pay former Lance Bombardier Kerry Fletcher £186,895 following her successful claims for sex discrimination, victimisation and sexual harassment.

An employment appeal tribunal allowed the appeal and reduced Miss Fletcher's award, but said it hoped "lessons have been learned" by the Army.

The original tribunal hearing, in Leeds in November 2007, heard the sergeant pestered openly gay Miss Fletcher for sex and sent her explicit text messages during her time working at an Army stables in North Yorkshire.

The former soldier, who is originally from Sheffield but now lives in Germany, said the sergeant and other male colleagues tried to destroy her career because she spurned his advances.

In its judgment, the original tribunal said: "This is as severe a case of victimisation following an allegation of sexual harassment as one could see in an employment tribunal. The claimant was subjected to a sustained campaign of victimisation over a lengthy period."

The MoD was ordered to pay Miss Fletcher £30,000 for injury to feelings, £20,000 aggravated damages, £50,000 exemplary damages and £65,558 for lost earnings and pension entitlement.

The remainder of the total was made up of Miss Fletcher's costs and interest payments.

But the appeal tribunal, chaired by Mrs Justice Slade, found that the original court had "erred" in awarding £50,000 exemplary damages and set aside this payout. It also found that the award of £20,000 aggravated damages was "reached in error of law" and was "perversely high" and ruled this should be reduced to £8,000. Any interest payments in relation to this award would also be reduced.

But the appeal tribunal said the original court was right to criticise the Army's actions in the case. The judgment read: "The conduct of the Army which led to the proceedings successfully pursued by Ms Fletcher was rightly condemned by the employment tribunal. We hope that lessons have been learned and that such behaviour will not be repeated."

money well spent

Comment

Damn Dykes.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaobam Armour View Post
        Damn Dykes.
        Didnt one of them try that in Holland some time ago

Comment

Dont ask, Dont tell.

Ok I can go along,

If OOE Dont Ask me where this entire Celine Dion charade came from then,
          I Dont tell him that Tankie put us all up to it.;):))
          Last edited by Dreadnought; 16 Oct 09,, 17:51.
          Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
            Dont ask, Dont tell.

Ok I can go along,

If OOE Dont Ask me where this entire Celine Dion charade came from then,
            I Dont tell him that Tankie put us all up to it.;):))
            uh , no way hose A i got a rtr avatar :P

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              uh , no way hose A i got a rtr avatar :P
              Covering up your tracks I see, we all know it was your idea anyway.
              When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                What tracks , what ya talking about , :P

Comment

Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
                  Yep KA, Hes a "taildragger", always covering his tracks.:))

Comment

Yep KA, Hes a "taildragger", always covering his tracks.:))
                    Sad but true , i reckon a Penis reduction op is the only answer , but the Q is

HOW DID YOU KNOW peepin tom huh

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      Sad but true , i reckon a Penis reduction op is the only answer , but the Q is

HOW DID YOU KNOW peepin tom huh
                      *Ouuuuu, when OOE catches up with you, you will be lucky if your not just plain "reduced". That will be the least of your worries.:P:))

All fingers point to Tankie.:));)

Comment

*Ouuuuu, when OOE catches up with you, you will be lucky if your not just plain "reduced". That will be the least of your worries.:P:))

All fingers point to Tankie.:));)
                        The truth is out there scully :P

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        This thread is in the Pics and Video section.

So it has to have pics.

Don't blame me, I didn't put it here.

I may start using some of these for necro threads. Dead chick isn't doing the job anymore
                        :)) G/G is spartacus :))

Comment

Dujring my "War" which was called WW ll, I didn't get in until July 1943. There was not "Qweers" in any Navy ships I sailed on. The only Blacks and Orentals I happened across waswas assigned as Stewards to Offficers aboard the US Navy ships.
                          After the war I signed up for a 3-year hitch with the Armt Air Corps and I never heard of or ran across any "Qweers" during my 3 year hitch. I was recalled for one year when Korea popped up and assigned to Keesler Field Training Command in Biloxi, MS, Never ran across or heard of any "Queers" then either.
                          Don't know when they started getting in the Military and now I guess the term for "Qweers" is "Gays"!
                          Things sure change as the world progresses.
                          Vaughn
                          USS LCI (L) & (G) 450
                          WW ll Gator Navy
                          Hamp
                          USS LCI (L) & (G) 450
                          WW ll Gator Navy

Comment

Originally posted by vaughn View Post
                            Dujring my "War" which was called WW ll, I didn't get in until July 1943. There was not "Qweers" in any Navy ships I sailed on. The only Blacks and Orentals I happened across waswas assigned as Stewards to Offficers aboard the US Navy ships.
                            After the war I signed up for a 3-year hitch with the Armt Air Corps and I never heard of or ran across any "Qweers" during my 3 year hitch. I was recalled for one year when Korea popped up and assigned to Keesler Field Training Command in Biloxi, MS, Never ran across or heard of any "Queers" then either.
                            Don't know when they started getting in the Military and now I guess the term for "Qweers" is "Gays"!
                            Vaughn
                            USS LCI (L) & (G) 450
                            WW ll Gator Navy
                            Would it not be fair to say there have always been gays in the military, just not openly?

In the past I'd imagine a discharge was not the only discipline a homosexual serviceperson could expect, so they wouldn't be inclined to being open about their sexuality.
                            Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                            - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

When I was in, if it was discovered that you were an 'Up-Hill Gardener' you would get a severe beating.

Comment

Originally posted by vaughn View Post
                                Vaughn
                                USS LCI (L) & (G) 450
                                WW ll Gator Navy
                                The Army issued approx 5 thousand discharges, the Navy around 4 thousand, to homosexuals during WW2.

They were there, just quiet about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X