UK gets Supreme Court

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK gets Supreme Court

UK inaugurated its new Supreme Court yesterday after trying since 1867. The Queen appointed all the members, of course from a list provided by the ministry. No long, drawn out hearings like in the US.

The Uk has no bill of rights and a constitution made up of precedents going back to the Magna Carta, so the new court (actually an old court that was embedded in Parliament) won't be overturning Acts of Parliament on constitutional grounds any time soon, although some think it will be only a matter of time before they'll try.

I wonder what the man in the street thinks about this development.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Is this a new version of the 'Law Lords' or the Privvy Council, or is it something different again?
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

googled this

The introduction of a Supreme Court for the United Kingdom will provide greater clarity in our constitutional arrangements by further separating the judiciary from the legislature.

It will assume the jurisdiction of the current Appellate Committee of the House of Lords and the devolution jurisdiction of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.

The court will be an independent institution, presided over by independently appointed law lords. It will be housed in the historic Middlesex Guildhall on London's Parliament Square - opposite the Houses of Parliament and alongside Westminster Abbey and the Treasury - a fitting location for the apex of the justice system. The Guildhall is being renovated for use as a Supreme Court and is due to open at the start of the legal year in October 2009.

Its the first i have heard of it , its been quiet here ???
      Last edited by tankie; 06 Oct 09,, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post

Its the first i have heard of it , its been quiet here ???
        We've known about it for ages. The impending dissolution of the Privy Council is one of the reasons we set up our own Supreme Court. Do try to keep up:))
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
          We've known about it for ages. The impending dissolution of the Privy Council is one of the reasons we set up our own Supreme Court. Do try to keep up:))
          I must try harder
          i must try harder
          i must try harder
          i must try harder
          i must try harder

geez that brings back bad memories :))

I just realised why i missed this ,it is of no interest to me cos i is a good guy and wont be paying a visit
          Last edited by tankie; 06 Oct 09,, 10:13.

Comment

STOP the bus! Tankies getting a powdered wig.:))
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
              STOP the bus! Tankies getting a powdered wig.:))

No mate ,i have all my own hair , and teeth (nearly)

Comment

No mate ,i have all my own hair , and teeth (nearly)
                Thinking you would look rather stately wearing the ponytails.:));)

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                  Thinking you would look rather stately wearing the ponytails.:));)
                  Not guilty m,lud;)

Comment

Your your new court needs "a wise Latino woman". We can lend you one.

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post

Hows about shipping out Clarence 'the embarrassment' Thomas instead? Apparently he is so wise he doesn't need to ask questions during cases - the new appointee asked more in her first case than he has in several years. Give me a 'wise Latina woman' over him any day of the week.
                      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Comment

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk then , post her over ,

Comment

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk then , post her over ,
                            I regret to inform you that our wise latina woman is currently busy deciding whether a cross erected in the Mojave Desert to commemorate WWI veterans constitutes a violation of church-state separation even though the USG gave the land around it to the Veterans of Foreign Wars a few years ago to resolve the issue. Following that and closely related to it the court will be deciding how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Comment

I regret to inform you that our wise latina woman is currently busy deciding whether a cross erected in the Mojave Desert to commemorate WWI veterans constitutes a violation of church-state separation even though the USG gave the land around it to the Veterans of Foreign Wars a few years ago to resolve the issue. Following that and closely related to it the court will be deciding how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
                              *Can you believe our Supreme Court spends its time and our tax money with such nonsense. Leave the cross in place. It meant something to the Vets that erected it and take care of it. Its their own place to reflect upon the past.They deserve their own place and they're not hurting anyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X