X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Mid-Autumn Festival

From Republic of Korea Navy
    Attached Files
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Their mooncake looks different from that of the Chinese.

Chinese mooncake is like American fruitcake -- it is for gifting, not for eating.
    Last edited by xinhui; 04 Oct 09,, 22:00.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

They are not celebrating the Chinese Mid Autum Festival.

They are celebrating Chuseok. The Korean Thanksgiving.
      Different traditions.

A day to make ricecakes and other foods from the harvest, clean and visit the ancestors graves, change to winter clothing and bedding and enjoy family

Sort of a combination of American Thankingsgiving and Japanese Oban. Although my wife would kill me if she saw that I equated anything Korean with Japan

But a Happy Mid Autum Festival to you and yours.:)

Comment

Korean Thanksgiving = Chinese Mid Autum Festival (also take place during the same day as the Japanese Oban)

Chuseok which is also called Hangawi, is a harvest festival celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th Lunar Month
        Last edited by xinhui; 05 Oct 09,, 01:18.

Comment

It’s controversial, you can say the mid-autumn day is Chinese thanksgiving too, for that day marks the end of autumn harvest in most part in China, the sky becomes clear the weather a bit chilly north of Yangtze River, and winter is not faraway.

Other instance is the Duanwu festival observed by Koreans, it falls on every 5th day of May by Chinese calendar, the Koreans say, it’s their own festival, but people wonder why there are so many coincidences with Chinese festivals.

Considering Korea didn’t have its own written language until the 14th century, before that time they used Chinese, you can’t deny they copy Chinese festivals, giving their own names to it. Look at Korean Won with the guy who invented Korean written language; he is in Chinese Ming dynasty’s official garment. If you hear they say, many of Chinese historic celebrities were Koreans, you won’t feel surprised.

I appreciate the Koreans who preserve more Chinese traditions than Chinese.

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
            Korean Thanksgiving = Chinese Mid Autum Festival (also take place during the same day as the Japanese Oban)

Chuseok which is also called Hangawi, is a harvest festival celebrated on the 15th day of the 8th Lunar Month
            You didn't ask a Korean person about that did you?

I've been married to a Korean woman for 19 years now. There are certain subjects that I have learned not to discuss. Chinese vs Korean vs Japanese holidays is one of them. So I will bow out of this, just in case she decides to read the thread;)

Comment

Originally posted by middle earth View Post
              It’s controversial, you can say the mid-autumn day is Chinese thanksgiving too, for that day marks the end of autumn harvest in most part in China, the sky becomes clear the weather a bit chilly north of Yangtze River, and winter is not faraway.

Other instance is the Duanwu festival observed by Koreans, it falls on every 5th day of May by Chinese calendar, the Koreans say, it’s their own festival, but people wonder why there are so many coincidences with Chinese festivals.

Considering Korea didn’t have its own written language until the 14th century, before that time they used Chinese, you can’t deny they copy Chinese festivals, giving their own names to it. Look at Korean Won with the guy who invented Korean written language; he is in Chinese Ming dynasty’s official garment. If you hear they say, many of Chinese historic celebrities were Koreans, you won’t feel surprised.

I appreciate the Koreans who preserve more Chinese traditions than Chinese.

I think, if you look around this big crazy world, just about every country has a "Autumn Harvest" holiday. It wasn't something that originated in China.;)

You should also note that before King Sejong the Koreans used modified Chinese characters for most of their written language. Korean has different sentence structure and grammar.

Korea was a separate and strong kingdom back in the 4th century BC. Historians trace the Kingdom of Korea back to 2300 BC.

Everything didn't come from China.
              Last edited by Gun Grape; 05 Oct 09,, 04:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                You didn't ask a Korean person about that did you?

I've been married to a Korean woman for 19 years now. There are certain subjects that I have learned not to discuss. Chinese vs Korean vs Japanese holidays is one of them. So I will bow out of this, just in case she decides to read the thread;)
                It was a heated topic from my college days.

Comment

It really depends on which Koreans you are asking, back in the 90 when Koreans are more open mind. Some of them are willing to agree that few of their traditons have their root from China. Of course nowaday you would be stupid to ask Koreans about these, unless you want a heated debate and the end of friendship or sleeping on the couch.

Japanese Vs Chinese is about modern history, as most of Japanese I knew of have no problem to admit that they replicated many of Tang dynasty cultures and traditons.

As for Korea was a powerful kingdom back in the 4BC, I really really want to avoid this topic. But I can't resist the temptation to point out that if Korea were that powerful, they should have left much more legacy, influence, mark in the history then we knew of.

Many countries do have Autumn Festival, however, few celebrated on August 15 and even fewer used Lunar calendar which definite is Chinese;).

No respectful Historians have claimed that Korea history could trace back to 2300 BC. Even China had hard time to claim 4000 or 5000 years of history, in order to estabish links there needed to have many concrete proofs and evidences but Korea have little. Historians might establish theories easily, but respectful historians are slow to make conclusion.

Comment

If I understand Korea used Classical Chinese for official documents back in the day, then switched off to Hangul decades or even centuries after it was invented. There was opposition within the Korean court because the esoteric character of Classical Chinese restricted literacy to a small bureaucratic elite. Regarding modified Chinese; that seemed to have been a trait of the Vietnamese, who combined phonetic characters together in combinations not seen in Chinese proper.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      Historians trace the Kingdom of Korea back to 2300 BC.
                      They didn’t have written language, BC or AD, till the 14th century, how did they compile their chronicles to trace it back to 2300 BC?

Look up it in Wiki, I find it is quite liberal in giving account to Korean history:
                      According to the Samguk Yusa and other Korean medieval-era records, the Gojoseon (Old Joseon) kingdom was said to be founded in 2333 BC, eventually stretching from the peninsula to much of Manchuria.[2] By 3rd Century BC, it disintegrated into many successor states.

When giving account to Chinese history, it’s quite disciplined:
                      Chinese tradition names the first dynasty Xia, but it was considered mythical until scientific excavations found early bronze-age sites at Erlitou in Henan Province in 1959.[14] Archaeologists have since uncovered urban sites, bronze implements, and tombs in locations cited as Xia's in ancient historical texts, but it is impossible to verify that these remains are of the Xia without written records from the period.

Mark the difference, in dealing with Korean history, Wiki omitted the criterion of WRITTEN RECORDS FROM THE PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by middle earth View Post
                        ... Wiki omitted the criterion of ...
                        If you are talking about Wikipaedia, generally they allow any users to add to or edit the contents through the Internet.
                        Last edited by Merlin; 05 Oct 09,, 06:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
                          If you are talking about Wikipaedia, generally they allow any users to add to or edit the contents through the Internet.
                          Is Wiki that loose? A pillar in my house is falling on me.

Comment

Look carefully at the Wikipedia website. Free open editing was their original concept. If somebody put in something wrong, the concept is that somebody else would come in to correct it. But I'm not up to date on how they've evolved now.

Comment

Put some Chinese mooncake here。

Last edited by Luke Gu; 07 Oct 09,, 12:47.

Comment

Working...
                              X