Mid-air collision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-air collision

Has anyone heard of the F-5 / Il-76 collision in Iran, so that I might know if this article is mostly true:

2009 Iranian Air Force mid-air collision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only AWACS plane blows up for Ahmadinejad's send-off, wreckage lands on Khoimeini's grave? All these things going wrong like that just seems ironic. Poor pilots.

Talk about something that people don't pay much attention to. BBC mentions an aircrash a few paragraphs down.
    BBC NEWS | Middle East | Iran leader warns against attack

Comment

I heard about this a few days ago and the story I got was that it was indeed the AWACS type IL76 that went down but have no information on the other A/C.

Interesting story but the loss of an only AWACS type does not materially change the IRIAF dispositions, one would think.

William
      Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

Two Class A mishaps. A 'Class A mishap' consists of loss of airframe and/or aircrew.

All aircrew and both airframes lost.

Excellent.

Comment

Bluesman - I was going to suggest that this was great news in my original post, however thought maybe I'd better bite my tongue with those dead guy crew. Now I know I'm not alone in thinking that...

Comment

The loss of the F-5s was not very significant. Iranians have many F-5s, F-4s and F-14s in storage because they cannot get enough spareparts to keep them all operational, those which crashed will most likely be replaced soon. The loss of the AWAC however is a big blow to IRIAF's capabilities. However note that there were 2 AWAcs flown over from Iraq in 1991, one was made operational and entered, the other kept in reserve. It is likely they will have the other one replace this one (though it has not been confirmed yet as far as I know).

RIP tot he pilots who died.

Comment

Working...
            X